DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 AM

Default Squeaky double pedal

My left pedal on my double squeaks horribly. Im pretty positive its the chain, but ive tightened everything down and put some oil on the chain, yet it continues to squeak whenever i press down it, which is annoying, especially when im playing speed rolls, i hear lots of squeaking. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Squeaky double pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEfan View Post
Does anyone know what might be causing this?
No idea, but the chain is only one of many moving parts on a pedal. Oil all of them.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

as stated oil everything and make sure your cams are not misaligned with the chain
Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

How about the heel-plate hinge? That's a moving part too. That happened to me on an old DW pedal. That hinge started to squeak and eventually I just replaced it.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Gold Member

What oil are you using? I had the same problem and tried some oil speficic for metal hardware/ drums and it didn't seem to do the trick. Then I just picked up some 4 and 1 at home depot and it worked great.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM

I used valve oil from my trumpet. I know it probably wasnt the best idea, but its all i had and its the same concept. Its definitely the chain, because to be specific, the squeaking sound is more of the chain rattling. The right pedal doesnt rattle at all, so idk why the left one is
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEfan View Post
I used valve oil from my trumpet. I know it probably wasnt the best idea, but its all i had and its the same concept. Its definitely the chain, because to be specific, the squeaking sound is more of the chain rattling. The right pedal doesnt rattle at all, so idk why the left one is
Valve oil is very similar to water in its viscosity. A not so well known in the drum industry but very well known in the gun world is a lubricant called Weapon Shield. It uses an advanced boundary film (ABF) which practically eliminates metal to metal wear. It's actually a cleaner, lubricant and preservative. If it works well on the high speed moving slide of a semi auto in all temperature extremes, it should work well on most other metal to metal contacts. And it does.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Valve oil is very similar to water in its viscosity. A not so well known in the drum industry but very well known in the gun world is a lubricant called Weapon Shield. It uses an advanced boundary film (ABF) which practically eliminates metal to metal wear. It's actually a cleaner, lubricant and preservative. If it works well on the high speed moving slide of a semi auto in all temperature extremes, it should work well on most other metal to metal contacts. And it does.

Dennis
That does sound like it would work.

If you'd like another option that may be a bit easier to get your hands on, consider just picking up some 4 and 1 oil at the hardware store, it's always worked well for me.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM

I use engine assembly lube, I know, you didn't ask. If I were you I would have someone work the pedal while I had my ear down there and pinpoint the squeak. Gook Luck.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Ive looked at it some more. The squeaking is coming from the hinge, which as you said, can be solved by oil. But i cant figure out why the chain is rattling. Everythings tight, yet it still does.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

is the chain misaligned with the cam? one of mine was once and it rattled as a result.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
is the chain misaligned with the cam? one of mine was once and it rattled as a result.
Its aligned with the cam properly. As far as i can tell, its coming from the bottom of the chain where it screws into the footboard. Cant figure out why yet
Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

Check the universal joints on your connecting shaft. Also try moving the left pedal by hand and while doing that use your other hand to feel for vibrations. IE pinch the the housing for the bearings or hold on to the extension shaft and feel for vibrations to isolate were the squeak is. A squeak is 2 thing that rub together and cause a high pitch noise.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Usually on double pedals, it's the universal joints (on linkage) that squeak...try spraying some lube/wd-40 on them and see if that doesn't stop the squeak...