DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Default Balancing the right heads? High overtones?

First of all I have a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Kit

I am going for a deeper rock sound with my toms, but I just cant get happy with them.

I have been through Pinstripes, Powerstroke 3s, G1s, G2s, Ambassadors and Black Sued Emperors.

I have decided that I am a coated guy and dont care for clear batters personally.

I like the Black Sued Emperors best, but the matching sued snare head sounds awful to my ears and the ambassador on my snare sounds too thin next to these black heads.

I did like the ambassadors on my toms, it blends with an ambassador on the snare, but they give off too many high overtones, and dont tune as well low as the emperors. My emperors also ring out bad overtones if i tune them higher.

I have been tuning my top and bottom heads to the same note(bottom a hair lower)

Are these overtones from my kit? Could this be caused by the stock bottom heads? Does anyone else strugle with this?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Balancing the right heads? High overtones?

I reckon you should try tuning the resonant heads higher than the batters. Otherwise they'll sound like concert toms.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
I reckon you should try tuning the resonant heads higher than the batters. Otherwise they'll sound like concert toms.
Can't really agree with that, sorry. Sure, tuning the reso higher or lower than the batter will introduce a greater mix of tones to the overall sound, but tuning both batter & reso to the same pitch in no way equals a concert tom sound. The sustain profile is completely different, as is projection & attack.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

I meant if the bottom head was tensioned lower. It ceases to have much influence on the sound at all. Obviously if they're the same tension it is markedly different to a single-headed drum.

As far as overtones go, the stock heads would be very thin and therefore you probably would get more ringing and overtones from them. Might be worth investigating some thicker ones.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 PM

So you are not happy with the thin Amb on the tom's reso side because they will get too ringy? And you have a thick double-ply black head on top? I'd recommend getting a thicker reso head, possibly a black one as well. It will mellow the overtones, but kill some of the sustain of the drum. The only way to get additional low sustain is getting deeper tom drums. A thinner head will add sustain but can introduce subtle overtones.

Stock heads are generally thinner than an Amb, so you can start with an Amb and see if you like it as the reso. I'd also not worry too much about matching heads between the toms and the snare. Use the heads that sound good for each drum.

Hope this helps. I've used an Emp over Emp config on my toms before. It has a whole'r note but less sustain and volume.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 AM

The batter and Reso are mean't to be equal. They are meant to sympathise. Even I tend to tune my reso's fractionally higher. It does dry the drum out a little bit, but I like the short sustain...
Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Pioneer Member

In all honesty it may be the shells. I have a Catalina Rock and I've had a difficult time with it tuning wise. The worst heads I've had were G2s over G1s (I've had both clear and coated of each). I had Remo Coated Ambassadors over clear for a while and they had an open tone, but very thin sounding for such large drums. I've come to the conclusion that these shells, at least my set, is just plenty of highs and mid overtones and not a lot of warm body compared to say a birch or maple kit. I have Gplus coated over Gplus clear right now and its a decent sound, but not great. I like a wide open sound myself, but I think for drums that are not pro birch, maple, oak, etc. heads like EC2s, Pinstripes and the like may be the best to fatten up the sound. I'm considering Pinstripes myself for my next purchase as EC2s just seem so bright with a sharp attack. Another unique sound is Remo Fiberskyn heads, especially used top and bottom. Fiberskyns are Ambassadors but have the extra layer of fibery stuff which makes them sound 1) not like plastic 2) have little high overtones 3) very resonant and sensitive. They are worth a try as they are a unique product
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Silver Member

Try Aquarian Super 2 coated or clear. you will get the sound you want. Aquarians clear heads are warmer than evans/remo clear heads. I'm using the Aquarian Super 2 clears now top and bottom tuned the same (medmedhigh tuning) and can't hear any overtones. They are easy to tune and last long. I recommend trying one on a drum and see for yourself.