DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM

Default Advertisements Everywhere

Is anyone else getting frustrated with or even noticing the amount of advertising that's popping up everywhere now, specifically on the internet? First it was just pop ups on the internet, then on to sites like google, now they're almost impossible to avoid on youtube, and even on this forum they're popping up in people's comments sometimes. I know people make money from having the advertisements up, but is it that necessary? It gets kind of annoying being bombarded with them everywhere.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Advertisements Everywhere

How much have you donated to this site to keep it running?

If someone hasn't donated anything, they don't have much standing to complain about it, in my opinion. They should just be happy it's here and the ads are paying the freight for them.

I do donate. And I don't complain about the ads, even though I notice them appearing more on this site.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 AM

I said I understand about the money thing and I was not complaining, nor directly insulting this site or anything. I simply noticed them appearing more on this site. My comment was more directed towards it in general everywhere else, not so much the small sites/forums that probably really need the money.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The internet became about advertising a long time ago. People want you to visit their sites, be on their lists, watch their YouTube vids, etc... so they can demonstrate 'traffic' to advertisers, place ads on their sites, and get a few cents a click from advertisers hoping you'll spend money with them.

Annoying? Yes. Surprising? No.

I do appreciate sites that exist purely for information or entertainment with no ancillary income intentions, but I understand that both advertisers and many webmasters want to generate income wherever possible.

Bermuda
Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

I was thinking about this recently. Not so much being bothered by ads ... for me, ignoring them and closing them down are second nature.

I was thinking that, if I'm so immune to advertising's "charms" then I wonder how many others are also oblivious. If enough internet users are as oblivious as I am then this advertising model - that represents billions and billions of dollars - would be a massive bubble waiting to burst.

I suspect that, as a long term experienced web user who started before the advertising boom, I may be less responsive than most. I hope so, anyway. I love the way advertising heps to fund so much cool free stuff. If the bubble burst it would be ugly so, every now and then, I'll click an ad to keep 'em sweet :)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I was thinking that, if I'm so immune to advertising's "charms" then I wonder how many others are also oblivious. If enough internet users are as oblivious as I am then this advertising model - that represents billions and billions of dollars - would be a massive bubble waiting to burst.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, who responds to these and how effective are they? I guess since there's so many people online there must be some percentage of people that click the adds and then another percentage of those people who actually follow through with what was being advertised.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 AM

I want to know how the heck it is that I can go to Home Depot, come home and open DW and right there at the top advert banner and all my email account pages, etc are full of Home Depot ads. How does the internet know I just went to Home Depot?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I want to know how the heck it is that I can go to Home Depot, come home and open DW and right there at the top advert banner and all my email account pages, etc are full of Home Depot ads. How does the internet know I just went to Home Depot?
Probably because you made a transaction with your credit card.
It's pretty sad, and somewhat scary: anyone can get lots of your information through the internet. You make a purchase with your credit card, home depot now knows your email, phone number, address, etc.
With home depot is doesn't really matter, they're a professional company and wouldn't give your information to anyone else. But with some companies it does matter. If I knew your name, I could go to a site, and find your address, phone numbers, email, annual income, a picture of your house, your family info, and any criminal backround (not saying you have one, lol).

Veered a little off topic here, lol.
Yeah ads are a pain :/ I don't really mind them unless they're popups, especially the ones where the "x" button is a single pixel or when you close it it just opens the ad anyway.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
I never, EVER click on ads that are unrelated to the sites I visit. That is, a drum-related ad on Drummerworld may get a click from me, but the Vodafone banner ad that I see at the top of this page right now will not. Sorry, Bernhard.

Bermuda
Old 03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabo View Post
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, who responds to these and how effective are they? I guess since there's so many people online there must be some percentage of people that click the adds and then another percentage of those people who actually follow through with what was being advertised.
Yes, it must be a similar principle to spam - low overheads with weight of numbers. Talking of spam, if people manage to get themselves ripped off by the Nigerian phishers, I guess anything is possible for advertisers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I never, EVER click on ads that are unrelated to the sites I visit. That is, a drum-related ad on Drummerworld may get a click from me, but the Vodafone banner ad that I see at the top of this page right now will not.
That makes sense. I was playing back tonight's band practice recordings and suddenly there's these awesome drums coming through my headphones.

I'm thinking, "Wow! I can't remember playing that!". Next minute there's this blurb about Michael Michalkow's drumming system ... I'd clicked his ad - lol

I find it comforting that I was also given an ad offering to perfect my golf swing. They mightn't know so much about us, after all.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was thinking about this recently. Not so much being bothered by ads ... for me, ignoring them and closing them down are second nature.

I suspect that, as a long term experienced web user who started before the advertising boom, I may be less responsive than most. I hope so, anyway. I love the way advertising heps to fund so much cool free stuff. If the bubble burst it would be ugly so, every now and then, I'll click an ad to keep 'em sweet :)
I think you may well be less responsive than most. I do pay attention to the ads on a page, particularly if they are restricted to just a few places on the page. I click on links and I have bought items that way, some of them locally. As people become more socially conscious, they cannot help but acknowledge the advertisers keep a site free and funded and as long as the ads aren't obnoxious, I think they will be more open to the presence of ads. Like Bermuda, though, I am most interested in ads relating to the page.

I pay most attention to Facebook ads and sometimes steer my clients to Facebook advertising as it's very affordable.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Welcome to the internet??? Really don't know what to say but you shouldn't be getting any popups if you use the right browser and pop up / ad blocker. I don't see any ads on this or any other site.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM

Its all about one work "click".
Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

This isn't much different than companies sending advertisements to your mailbox (aka junk mail), or the annoying Ginzu knife type commercials on TV. It must work to a certain extent, or companies wouldn't waste their advertising dollars.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
This isn't much different than companies sending advertisements to your mailbox (aka junk mail), or the annoying Ginzu knife type commercials on TV. It must work to a certain extent, or companies wouldn't waste their advertising dollars.
Yeah I agree, I throw away about a trees worth of paper weekly in junk mail. Mostly my cable compnay (insight) trying to get me to sign up for their internet phone service that costs $29 a month! Magic jack is about a tenth of the cost for the same service. You'd have to be rich or a moron to buy vonage or cable phone.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Underhill View Post
Welcome to the internet??? Really don't know what to say but you shouldn't be getting any popups if you use the right browser and pop up / ad blocker. I don't see any ads on this or any other site.
I encourage you to donate to these sites, then, to help compensate in some small way for the lost value the site has to the advertisers who support it.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I think you may well be less responsive than most. I do pay attention to the ads on a page, particularly if they are restricted to just a few places on the page. I click on links and I have bought items that way, some of them locally.
I guess I came up at a time when the net was all about geeks and free exchange. I still run websites giving away free stuff (no ads). It's a pretty ye olde worlde attitude, I know. I'm having yet another birthday today and I suppose I'm a long way from the ideal target audience.

I agree with your point about donating.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess I came up at a time when the net was all about geeks and free exchange. I still run websites giving away free stuff (no ads). It's a pretty ye olde worlde attitude, I know. I'm having yet another birthday today and I suppose I'm a long way from the ideal target audience.

Happy birthday! Balloons and ice cream for you!

I understand about free exchange - you even created a cool caricature of me, free, so I know you speak with authority on that.

Though it seems like writing a program to block all ads on all sites - regardless of content - works against free exchange and reduces the monetary value of sites in general. I guess that's not a problem if the site is funded with fees or donations.

Some ads a truly obnoxious - popups and ones that follow you around the page. I just leave those sites. But if ads are not intrusive and carry relevant information, to me, they're just part of what goes into a typical Web site.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 AM

Even if enough people donated, I assume most sites would keep the ads for the profit, but nonetheless I understand the need for them, I just find it becoming more present than it should be.

Quote:

Also, Happy Birthday.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys :) There's been more of them than I'd like but it at least beats the alternative, eh?

Yep DMC, I'm still idealistic about doing freebies, although I understand that it's a luxury that not everyone who'd like to do that can afford. I got a kick out of doing those caricatures (yours turned out especially well :) and seeing people happy with them so, in a way, I'm getting paid. Bernhard also does what he does for love and I totally relate to that (and am grateful for it).

A new state government is certain to be voted in tomorrow and it's possible that that could end up with my job disappearing, in which case I might need to look at a way of monetising the illustrations. Living in interesting times ...

Fabo, advertising is usually a bit of a trial but I find it worse on TV and radio where you totally lose content for a while than the web, where you can ignore or dismiss the ads pretty easily. I just hate super intense, intrusive ads and ads that make a noise when you're listening to music. Google Adsense is no drama - the ads just benignly sit there and how much you interact is totally your choice.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Big_Philly

Congrats Polly :)

As for the ads, there's a way to be rid of them:

1. Get Firefox. It's free and awesome.
2. When installed, install the Adblock Plus add-on
3. Enjoy ad-free surfing.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Fabo, advertising is usually a bit of a trial but I find it worse on TV and radio where you totally lose content for a while than the web, where you can ignore or dismiss the ads pretty easily. I just hate super intense, intrusive ads and ads that make a noise when you're listening to music. Google Adsense is no drama - the ads just benignly sit there and how much you interact is totally your choice.
Yeah... sometimes during commercial break I completely forget which show I was watching. It can be bad online even with firefox. Sometimes I encounter adds that will pass the pop up blocker and when you try to close them they have another pop up asking you "OMG ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT???"
Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Hellwyck

Anything that uses OMG has to be bad
Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Congrats Polly :)

As for the ads, there's a way to be rid of them:

1. Get Firefox. It's free and awesome.
2. When installed, install the Adblock Plus add-on
3. Enjoy ad-free surfing.
Thanks for the suggestion. As for supporting Drummerworld with a donation (in contrast to ads, which support Drummerworld by paying for space), here's anyone or someone can do it:

1. Get a PayPal account. It's free to set up an account and awesome.

2. When your account is valid, go to this page: http://www.drummerworld.com/author.html

3. Enjoy the good feeling of contributing the financial needs of Drummerworld.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I encourage you to donate to these sites, then, to help compensate in some small way for the lost value the site has to the advertisers who support it.
Yea, I get it. No thanks.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, I get it. No thanks.
That's okay. I'll donate twice as much as I was going to Drummerworld, to make up for it.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
That's okay. I'll donate twice as much as I was going to Drummerworld, to make up for it.
You're so awesome.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're so awesome.
Thanks! So are you!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
The internet's really smart...I'm not sure exactly how it happens, but pretty much all advertisements you see are not random...When I go to school in NYC, there are a lot of local NY ads. Now I'm in Italy, and pretty much all ads from any site (youtube, nfl.com, nytimes, etc) are in Italian. Facebook is very very smart as well. It takes information from your profile regarding interests, relationship status, etc and decides to put ads up that cater toward these interests. I'm also pretty sure that whenever you buy things online, the internet remembers what you bought, and there is a high chance that you will find ads that are related to the item you just bought.

It's pretty cool I think.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
It's pretty cool I think.
I find it more of an invasion of privacy than cool. Can't buy a wrench without someone knowing about it and then throwing a dozen adds in front of you after because you got a certain product.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabo View Post
I find it more of an invasion of privacy than cool. Can't buy a wrench without someone knowing about it and then throwing a dozen adds in front of you after because you got a certain product.
Well, in my opinion, it's terribly efficient and most likely tenfold more effective than blind advertising. Think about it, if the internet didn't know your interests, your location and what you buy, you would be getting extremely random ads, most of them not pertaining to you. Say you're a college student and you might be getting ads for i don't know, male enhancement, house improvement products etc. Stuff that you would never think about buying at that time in your life.

On the business side, all those advertising dollars are thoroughly wasted on that individual and the advertisers get no return on that wasted money. That's just bad business. Also, that individual will probably be not only extremely annoyed by seeing ads that he can't relate to, but confused as well. Wouldn't you rather be seeing something that at least in some respect relates to you?

On the flip side, adaptable advertising is extremely efficient because you are reaching a market that, based on their actions (an extremely reliable source for finding out what interests them), will have the highest chance of responding to an online advertisement because you're "catering" to their interests. It's sort of like a system of recommendations, not unlike the recommendations youtube gives you based on past videos you've watched. It's kind of like saying, "oh, so you've bought that? Then you might like this!!"

The fact that the internet somehow is able to dissect all this information on everyone in an instant and "recommend" relatable products in the form of advertisements, i'd say is pretty cool.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Administrator

It can't be an invasion of privacy since you go to the internet, it doesn't come to you.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM

I receive countless numbers of advertisements a day, whether on the internet or anywhere outside of it. The majority of them do not apply to me, but the most noticeable ones are the ones that do. I find it a bit of an intrusion if companies are using my personal information to try to persuade me to give them my money. On the internet they normally base it off of your IP address, I'm fine with that when it comes to search engines since they give more relevant information. I guess it's not a serious problem if the adds don't affect you very much, but I've seen some people who feel the need to go out and purchase a product or live up to a certain ideal set by an advertisement or company. I find it disturbing that people can't always make choices for themselves when it comes to personal purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
It can't be an invasion of privacy since you go to the internet, it doesn't come to you.
Advertisements come to me. I never seek out tips on how to get jacked in 3 weeks or search for advice on what medicine I should be using to loose weight.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Administrator

How do you learn about new products if you don't like ads?
And guess what it's going to get worse not better.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
How do you learn about new products if you don't like ads?
And guess what it's going to get worse not better.
I'm not a mass consumer, but when I have interest in something (if the company does its job and produces a good product it shouldn't be so dependent on advertising) I search on my own for the product and keep myself updated on any new modifications or versions.

And I understand it's getting worse.