DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #241  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Clone285051's Avatar
Clone285051 Clone285051 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 87
Default Re: Show your wood

I think I can include my Lignum drums .. still in progress :



Enjoy :P !
__________________
LIGNUM DRUMS ... THE BEST DRUMS YOU CAN FIND
LIGNUM - SABIAN/MEINL - REMO - VIC FIRTH

Last edited by Clone285051; 05-17-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Show your wood

Wow, looks beautiful!
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone285051 View Post
I think I can include my Lignum drums .. still in progress :



Enjoy :P !
Do they have any stain on them, or colored oil? This is a tricky area. All oil will darken the wood to some extent, but some oil tends to alter the appearance more than others. The goal if this thread is to show drums with as natural a finish as possible - certainly no stain, and the least amount of artificial coloration as possible.

Where do these drums fall on the spectrum?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Clone285051's Avatar
Clone285051 Clone285051 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 87
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Do they have any stain on them, or colored oil? This is a tricky area. All oil will darken the wood to some extent, but some oil tends to alter the appearance more than others. The goal if this thread is to show drums with as natural a finish as possible - certainly no stain, and the least amount of artificial coloration as possible.

Where do these drums fall on the spectrum?
I believe there's no oil involved, just coloring and varnish ... it really doesn't affect the sound in any way !

Birch in the natural way is way too light for me :).

My interpretation of this thread was all solid wooden drums, finish whatever.

Sorry to fail in your opinion !
__________________
LIGNUM DRUMS ... THE BEST DRUMS YOU CAN FIND
LIGNUM - SABIAN/MEINL - REMO - VIC FIRTH
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone285051 View Post
I believe there's no oil involved, just coloring and varnish ... it really doesn't affect the sound in any way !

Birch in the natural way is way too light for me :).

My interpretation of this thread was all solid wooden drums, finish whatever.

Sorry to fail in your opinion !
The first post in the thread tried to make it clear that the thread was for natural finish drums - no staining, minimal or no changing of the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
This thread is for sets with natural wood finish - no stains, colors or fades. Varnish, lacquer or sealant is OK, but nothing that changes the color. Just show your wood, the way nature intended.
Sorry to be unclear about the purpose of the thread in your opinion. There are many threads for drums with stained finishes and this is the only one for drums with unstained, natural wood finishes.

Having said that, you have a beautiful set of drums and I encourage you to publicize them as much as you can.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Clone285051's Avatar
Clone285051 Clone285051 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 87
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
The first post in the thread tried to make it clear that the thread was for natural finish drums - no staining, minimal or no changing of the color.



Sorry to be unclear about the purpose of the thread in your opinion. There are many threads for drums with stained finishes and this is the only one for drums with unstained, natural wood finishes.

Having said that, you have a beautiful set of drums and I encourage you to publicize them as much as you can.
OK .. copie ;) !

Thnx
__________________
LIGNUM DRUMS ... THE BEST DRUMS YOU CAN FIND
LIGNUM - SABIAN/MEINL - REMO - VIC FIRTH
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone285051 View Post
OK .. copie ;) !

Thnx
I think there are some threads here and there including stave drums, but nothing devoted exclusively to stave drums - nothing like, "Show your STAVE construction." You have a beautiful set in the works and I encourage you to make that thread. Or a thread on Lignum drums, but they are so rare that it wouldn't be much of a thread.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 AM
wildbil wildbil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 181
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin21 View Post
Uniongoon...It is the same stuff from which they build telecasters. Could be white ash. The tone is fantastic, (though not as twangy as yout typical tele ;-)). The wood makes for great drums however. sizes are sn: 13x5, toms: 12x6, 14x8, 16x12; bass 20x16. Snare and rack toms are ~3/8" thick and the ft and bass are ~1/2 inch thick.
They look fantastic perhaps they are green ash or as you call it swamp ash the green ash around here grows in wetter areas usually with soft maple the white ash grow in mixed hardwoods..Ask your supplier where it came from....I commend your work....
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Although this post is bereft of pictures :(, just thought I'd share a bit of wood joy. I spent a day at our favourite wood supplier's warehouse. Wow, just wow! This guy goes off travelling to far off places every couple of months. He goes to inspect woods on location before agreeing to ship them back to the UK. He also goes off wood hunting with no pre arranged schedule. Just ferrets around Africa, South America, Scandinavia, etc & see what comes up.

Anyhow, I was surrounded by the most stunning selection of woods from every corner of the globe. Some of them were super expensive. Not because of any endangered species classification, but because of their sheer quality. Some of the figuring I saw in the most mundane of species was mind blowing. All in all, I was immersed in natures beauty. She had assembled her best art collection for me to view. What a day (expensive day too, ahem)! After spending my time carefully selecting boards with my Guru partner, Dean Price, I was left wondering why the hell anyone would wish to stain or otherwise "embellish" such natural beauty. Soooo much fun can be had with my little hard rubber mallet :)

Did I mention we spent too much money? :)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Although this post is bereft of pictures :(, just thought I'd share a bit of wood joy. I spent a day at our favourite wood supplier's warehouse. Wow, just wow! This guy goes off travelling to far off places every couple of months. He goes to inspect woods on location before agreeing to ship them back to the UK. He also goes off wood hunting with no pre arranged schedule. Just ferrets around Africa, South America, Scandinavia, etc & see what comes up.

Anyhow, I was surrounded by the most stunning selection of woods from every corner of the globe. Some of them were super expensive. Not because of any endangered species classification, but because of their sheer quality. Some of the figuring I saw in the most mundane of species was mind blowing. All in all, I was immersed in natures beauty. She had assembled her best art collection for me to view. What a day (expensive day too, ahem)! After spending my time carefully selecting boards with my Guru partner, Dean Price, I was left wondering why the hell anyone would wish to stain or otherwise "embellish" such natural beauty. Soooo much fun can be had with my little hard rubber mallet :)

Did I mention we spent too much money? :)
Wow! Pictures or it didn't happen! Just bare unfinished wood waiting to be turned into drums qualifies for this thread.

With some woods, it is easy to understand why that are best left unstained. Other woods are more common and bland and the stain helps them look better.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Wow! Pictures or it didn't happen! Just bare unfinished wood waiting to be turned into drums qualifies for this thread.
There you go! See if you can guess which is which :) To get you started, the first picture (fork lift truck) is the biggest possible piece of buck eye burl:)

Others are:

Figured bubinga
Cocus wood
Snakewood
African blackwood
Gabon ebony
Lignum
Olivewood
Santos rosewood
Pink ivory
Tulipwood
Attached Images
           
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 PM
wsabol's Avatar
wsabol wsabol is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,394
Default Re: Show your wood

I'll take a stab...

Figured Bubinga - first row, second picture
Pink ivory - last row, first picture
Olivewood - second row, second picture
Gabon Ebony - last row, third picture

how'd I do?
__________________
"Lay the backbeat home."
-Donny Hathaway
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
I'll take a stab...

Figured Bubinga - first row, second picture
Pink ivory - last row, first picture
Olivewood - second row, second picture
Gabon Ebony - last row, third picture

how'd I do?
I'm not sure. There's only one picture on the last row on my screen, so I'm thinking you might have a different picture layout for some reason. I'm seeing 5 rows of two pictures each, & one picture at the bottom (making a 6th row).

To help y'all along, the African blackwood & the Gabon ebony should be really obvious.

African blackwood = 5th row, second picture. (logs with a very black heartwood)
Gabon ebony = 2nd row, first picture. (large bundles on pallets, painted red & white / green & white on the ends)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
There you go! See if you can guess which is which :) To get you started, the first picture (fork lift truck) is the biggest possible piece of buck eye burl:)

Others are:

Figured bubinga
Cocus wood
Snakewood
African blackwood
Gabon ebony
Lignum
Olivewood
Santos rosewood
Pink ivory
Tulipwood
OK, I now officially need some heart bypass surgery. Just crazy. The rawest drum porn I have ever encountered.

You have own the thread title of Dude with the Biggest Wood. It will be hard for anyone to top this.

What happens to this wood from the seller? Do some of the buyers make it into furniture, art, flutes, guitars, etc?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:43 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
OK, I now officially need some heart bypass surgery. Just crazy. The rawest drum porn I have ever encountered.

You have own the thread title of Dude with the Biggest Wood. It will be hard for anyone to top this.

What happens to this wood from the seller? Do some of the buyers make it into furniture, art, flutes, guitars, etc?
Ha, I thought you'd like those pictures :) Most of the fine tone woods are turned into guitars & other instruments of the highest quality. The really hard woods are usually made into specialist pieces such as the pipes on high end bagpipes. The burls are typically sold for art/craft pieces to enthusiasts.

This facility is run & owned by a real wood enthusiast. He specialises in tone woods, & really knows his stuff. best of all, he's a drummer!!!!!!!

We're the only drum company who goes to him for our standard woods. Even his "domestic" woods are chosen with such care & attention to acoustic properties. by no means the cheapest, but certainly the best as far as we're concerned.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:19 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,393
Default Re: Show your wood

Man, top row, middle picture. I'm thinking make me a drum with the bark still on for that Barney Rubble, Flintstones allure.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Show your wood

There really is something deeply visceral about seeing the wood in its raw form!
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 05-26-2012, 09:46 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
There really is something deeply visceral about seeing the wood in its raw form!
Yes, & wonderment too. I'm often super impressed by nature's ability to create such contrasting structures in the same living thing. The African blackwood is a prime example of that. The heartwood is so damn hard & gorgeous :)
Attached Images
 
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 787
Default Re: Show your wood

I'll take the tulipwood in the last pic.... my favorite..

My tulipwood made in '96...

Name:  IMG_0140_web.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  463.4 KB
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little

Last edited by latzanimal; 05-26-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added Pic..
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Yes, & wonderment too. I'm often super impressed by nature's ability to create such contrasting structures in the same living thing. The African blackwood is a prime example of that. The heartwood is so damn hard & gorgeous :)
It looks like Brighton rock, only much more deicious. Forgive me if I'm getting too technical...
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
I'll take the tulipwood in the last pic.... my favorite..

My tulipwood made in '96...
Yes, wonderful grain structure. Difficult to miss that baby eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Forgive me if I'm getting too technical...
Yes, way too technical, & parochial :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1YpsMODUmE
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Ha, I thought you'd like those pictures :) Most of the fine tone woods are turned into guitars & other instruments of the highest quality. The really hard woods are usually made into specialist pieces such as the pipes on high end bagpipes. The burls are typically sold for art/craft pieces to enthusiasts.

This facility is run & owned by a real wood enthusiast. He specialises in tone woods, & really knows his stuff. best of all, he's a drummer!!!!!!!

We're the only drum company who goes to him for our standard woods. Even his "domestic" woods are chosen with such care & attention to acoustic properties. by no means the cheapest, but certainly the best as far as we're concerned.
OK, now you have inspired me to put up raw wood. This is Cooktown ironwood, from which my drums are made, show raw logs, lathing and unfinished shells

Name:  Spirit Drums 10.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  239.1 KB

Name:  Spirit Drums 9.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  371.9 KB

Name:  Spirit Drums 8.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  Spirit Drums 7.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  Spirit Drums 6.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  369.1 KB

Name:  Spirit drums 3.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  128.2 KB:
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 AM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: Show your wood

ANDY!!! That Burl must have cost a Gazzillion dollars!!!!
__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
My Signia kit, previously was satin stained, now I gave it the birdseye.


And last my next snare project. Shell and hoops off ebay from Brian Marquez in California.
I looked at this again and thought it was a wrap. But it's the grain!
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
ANDY!!! That Burl must have cost a Gazzillion dollars!!!!
Yes, that burl's just crazy isn't it? I dare not ask the price :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
OK, now you have inspired me to put up raw wood. This is Cooktown ironwood, from which my drums are made, show raw logs, lathing and unfinished shells
Now that's great drum porn right there. Those trunks are seriously big guys, & the shells are as woody as wood can get. Star stuff mate :) :) :)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
scooter540's Avatar
scooter540 scooter540 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 43
Default Re: Show your wood

Bubinga segment snare :)
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 AM
stavebuilder's Avatar
stavebuilder stavebuilder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 132
Default Re: Show your wood

This one is finally finished up after 8 long months. No dyes or anything, just clear on this one.
But here it is all buttoned up 14X6, 30 staves of quartersawn cherry with a 1/4" ring of solid purpleheart running through the center with gold thread inlays on either side, purpleheart re-rings and purpleheart hoops from Jody at Stellar. All of the hardware is gold plated including the chopped Trick throw with purpleheart cap and knob. This one was very challenging to build, but the finished product turned out very nice and sounds great! This is my first time using wood hoops and I love them, both the sound and the feel.
Attached Images
    
__________________
www.bellwethersnaredrums.com
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Show your wood

Although I'm not a big fan of wooden hoops, the woodworking and hardware are beautiful.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: Show your wood

I finished this last night for a friend of mine. It is Walnut with a urethane clear and a beeswax hand polish. We used a donor Tama rockstar snare for the smoked chrome parts. I think he will be happy with the finished product. The walnut is a very special batch, it was milled in the 70's, so it has been aged, prior to construction.







I tucked a vent under the throw off.

__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869

Last edited by uniongoon; 07-17-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
I finished this last night for a friend of mine. It is Walnut with a urethane clear and a beeswax hand polish. We used a donor Tama rockstar snare for the smoked chrome parts. I think he will be happy with the finished product. The walnut is a very special batch, it was milled in the 70's, so it has been aged, prior to construction.







I tucked a vent under the throw off.

Incredible! How did the wood manage to lay around so long? Was it part of some furniture?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Show your wood

Here is my Gretsch Jazz kit again with a different hardware setup. The snare is a Pacific SX maple shelled snare. I now have Sabian AA crashes and ride. Peace and goodwill.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Mark Wellman

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:50 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
I finished this last night for a friend of mine. It is Walnut with a urethane clear and a beeswax hand polish. We used a donor Tama rockstar snare for the smoked chrome parts. I think he will be happy with the finished product. The walnut is a very special batch, it was milled in the 70's, so it has been aged, prior to construction.
Great work, & that aged walnut sounds lovely :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavebuilder View Post
This one is finally finished up after 8 long months. No dyes or anything, just clear on this one.
But here it is all buttoned up 14X6, 30 staves of quartersawn cherry with a 1/4" ring of solid purpleheart running through the center with gold thread inlays on either side, purpleheart re-rings and purpleheart hoops from Jody at Stellar. All of the hardware is gold plated including the chopped Trick throw with purpleheart cap and knob. This one was very challenging to build, but the finished product turned out very nice and sounds great! This is my first time using wood hoops and I love them, both the sound and the feel.
Exquisite shell building :)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,276
Default Re: Show your wood

I think this belongs here :)
Attached Images
  
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM
stavebuilder's Avatar
stavebuilder stavebuilder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 132
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I think this belongs here :)
Incredible work, absolutely gorgeous!
__________________
www.bellwethersnaredrums.com
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
Here is my Gretsch Jazz kit again with a different hardware setup. The snare is a Pacific SX maple shelled snare. I now have Sabian AA crashes and ride. Peace and goodwill.
Wow, very nice. Love the lightness of natural maple.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Show your wood

Thanks! Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 AM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Incredible! How did the wood manage to lay around so long? Was it part of some furniture?
Sorry DMC, I did not see this. I bought out an old retirees wood supply. He had not done anything with it for years, it had sat up in his garage. A friend of mine at work knew him and suggested he give me a call that I might be enticed to buy it. I was! Got some aged maple and Butternut with it as well.
__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869

Last edited by uniongoon; 09-14-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 AM
daniboun daniboun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 147
Default Re: Show your wood

Hi guys,

My Tamburo Opera 14x6.5 snare 100% handmade in Italy
Multislayer Stave




Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:06 PM
jornthedrummer jornthedrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 545
Default Re: Show your wood

Gretsch Renown Purewood Hickory.
Woody wood. 20 characters.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,393
Default Re: Show your wood

Gorgeous Gretsch...................
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com