DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 AM

Default Best skins for snare volume?

Hi, can anyone point out some skins, (batter and reso) that will help get the most volume out of my snare? I have a 13 x 6.5 steel with a coated G1 on top and a clear Hazy 300 on bottom at the minute.

My only stipulation is that I don't like the reverse dot types with centre weighted dampening, they kill the rebound, though I don't mind the Powerstroke types with an evenly spread dampening.

I tend to tune both heads fairly tight but I try and not crank them way up because I think it chokes the drum and you loose body.

Merci
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best skins for snare volume?

What you have on it now will give you the most open sound and the best chance of projection.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 AM

You cant beat what youve got. Well,.... you can Beat It, but you cant better it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 AM

So having a two ply head on top like a G2 coated won't give better attack and therefore the impression of more volume? Or having a lighter weight reso like a Hazy 200 rather than the 300 won't open it out even more? Also I'm curious what affect have a clear G1 or Ambassador on the reso side would do? I know the snares wouldn't react half as well but I'm just thinking volume for the minute.

Last edited by Goreliscious; 03-14-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

I think the 2 ply might be a little quieter and have less attack than the setup you have now.
The Hazy 200 might open it up a little but the difference may not even be noticable.

I cant think of a "better" combo for an open snare sound than what you have now.

I still have stock UT heads on my snare and I'm probably gonna go with the coated G1 over Hazy 300 too. Thats like the dream combo IMO.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I was going to say Ambassador over Hazy Ambassador..

You already have that, "Evans-wise", lol, so.. if you want more volume, it's time to go shopping for another snare. :)

Cheers!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM

I just "upgraded" from a 13 x 4 to a 13 x 6.5 for more volume and I'm pretty sure I can get the volume I want out of my new snare, but I want to make sure I'm using the right heads to get its fullest potential.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM

I agree, when I have tried different heads my experience has been that a single-ply head gives most volume (and most overtones, which may be part of the reason for the volume).

The only thing I can suggest is to try a clear head of the same type (clear G1, if that's not too weird on a snare!) for a little more attack than the coated head...

Other than that you might try using a cast rim on the top if it doesn't already have one. That can give a little more projection.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
The only thing I can suggest is to try a clear head of the same type (clear G1, if that's not too weird on a snare!) for a little more attack than the coated head....
Y'know I was just thinking about that earlier. Once upon a time I tried a clear G1 / Ambassador as a batter on an old aluminium snare and it sounded a lot more "overtoney" but I might give that another whirl. Anyone else ever used a clear batter?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Your current head selection seems fine.
Don't use any dampening if you want lots of volume.
Hit harder?
Also, it's possible your snare just sounds quiet to you. To your audience, your snare's volume may be fine (This was the case for my bass drum). Ask for feedback from certain people.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
My only stipulation is that I don't like the reverse dot types with centre weighted dampening, they kill the rebound, though I don't mind the Powerstroke types with an evenly spread dampening.
Not to hijack your thread, but is this true? About the rebound? If so, which heads provide the best rebound? I have a CS rev dot on my snare now, and have mainly used HD Dry before that, and have noticed that my snares don't have much rebound (do the Dry holes also negatively affect rebound?)...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Buy a G1 clear..............any coating will dampen. I use Genera HD dry and I guarantee it's loud.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but is this true? About the rebound? If so, which heads provide the best rebound? I have a CS rev dot on my snare now, and have mainly used HD Dry before that, and have noticed that my snares don't have much rebound (do the Dry holes also negatively affect rebound?)...
Best for rebound = single ply.
Holes = bad rebound.
Reverse dot = bad rebound.
O-rings = bad rebound.
Moon Gel = bad rebound.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Head tension, IMHO has more affect on "rebound". I've never noticed any less rebound on my snare with a CS batter, than what I do with my snares that have Emps on them. The head tension on both is pretty similar.

YMMV, but I see more of a material affect on head rebound between a loosely tensioned head and one that is cranked up.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Y'know I was just thinking about that earlier. Once upon a time I tried a clear G1 / Ambassador as a batter on an old aluminium snare and it sounded a lot more "overtoney" but I might give that another whirl. Anyone else ever used a clear batter?
I use a clear Emperor on my 14"x6,5" birch snare. It feels a little different than usual on the sticks, but it sounds really great.

What Bonzo said is also true.. a diecast hoop. I recently put one on my MPX Steel 14"x5,5" snare and OMG.. Three rimshots without the earmuffs and you feel like your ears are going to start bleeding. It really makes a difference.

However.. I must say I'm a bit concerned by now.. A 13" steel snare, with great Evans heads, tuned high and it sounds not loud enough.. Maybe the room where you play is very dead and muffled?? Maybe your guitarist needs to get over his ego (like most) and lower the volume? LOL. :)

I don't know.. well.. good luck! Cheers.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM

I have a Tama snare, if I was to put die cast hoops on it would I have to find Tama die cast hoops or are all brands lugs spacing the same?

It's not that this snare isn't loud enough, I just want to make sure I'm using the right heads and tuning for it to reach it's fullest potential because I don't always rimshot (e.g on a mid paced blast beat) and I don't want to be having to smack the hell out of it to get volume that can come close to a rimshot on a heavy back beat.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

It's been said a few times already. You have pretty much the loudest open sounding head combo now. But just in case you decide to start looking for a LOUD snare drum, here you go.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Spaun-Ve...34-i1174696.gc

Probably the loudest most obnoxious sounding snare drum I've heard yet.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have a Tama snare, if I was to put die cast hoops on it would I have to find Tama die cast hoops or are all brands lugs spacing the same?
They are the same. (Well, actually I never checked myself, but they should be, at least). Think about it, for heads to fit, all drums of a certain size must be very very similar, and then the lugs are spaced evenly in all of them, so yes, they should be the same.

(Anyway if you wanna make sure just take your snare to the drum shop and see if it fits). ;)

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
They are the same. (Well, actually I never checked myself, but they should be, at least). Think about it, for heads to fit, all drums of a certain size must be very very similar, and then the lugs are spaced evenly in all of them, so yes, they should be the same.

(Anyway if you wanna make sure just take your snare to the drum shop and see if it fits). ;)

Cheers.

heh. yea, luckily companies aren't allowed to patent the geometry of a circle ;)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
It's been said a few times already. You have pretty much the loudest open sounding head combo now. But just in case you decide to start looking for a LOUD snare drum, here you go.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Spaun-Ve...34-i1174696.gc

Probably the loudest most obnoxious sounding snare drum I've heard yet.
That Spawn snare must be hella loud.

Yeah, maybe you need and exceptionally loud snare.

This one would do also...

Pork Pie 13x7" Vented Little Squeeler
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM

I think I've got it sussed now with changing my tuning. I used to tune the reso head loose and the batter reasonably tight but I've discovered the virtues of tuning the reso 1/4 to 1/2 turn tighter than the batter to bring out the most in the shell.