DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 AM

Default Cymbal stand top loose, Help?

Hello.

On my ride cymbal stand,
the hexagonal rod which the cymbal and the felts are fastened up on
has begun to wiggle.
I have Pacific brand hardware and their website offered no help or useful information.

I believe it is due to a loosening of a small black threaded piece which lives in the part below which is immediately attached to the tilting mechanism.

I have tried many sizes of Allen Key (Hex Wrench) and they are all either too small or too large.

Has anyone had this problem?
Is there an easy solution?
Is it a specific size of allen key that I need?
Or does this require a special tool?

Thoughts?
Thanks.

I'm attaching a picture to illustrate.

The hexagonal rod which supports the ride is what is wiggling/loose.
The black circle is the threaded piece I believe needs tightening to resolve the issue.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cymbal stand top loose, Help?

If that small black threaded piece is sticking out, then that IS your issue. If not, then chalk it up to Pacific/Sound Percussion hardware quality.

I had a Pacific stand top piece that wiggled loose several times, and after tightening that tiny black screw a couple of times, it wore out. So, I used some Gorilla Glue to hold it firmly in place. Ahh, Gorilla Glue--that sucker will NEVER come off now!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 AM

If it's sticking out on one side more than another ,knock it back in with a hammer tap. Otherwise it may be bent which could warrant a trip to a Lowes or Home depot to see if they have a replacement pin. That glue thing sounded good as well.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 AM

Ok, well first,

What were you using that allowed you to tighten/turn the black piece?
I don't have the right tool so that would be extra helpful.
I couldn't find an allen key to fit it. I have smaller and larger keys.

Also, the piece is not sticking out, the top rod just wiggles, so I had hoped it was something fixable like having to tighten that black piece.

Oh man.
So Pacific and Sound Percussion are the same company?
I don't dig s.p.'s products.

So it's probably just a mediocre product?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 AM

i dont think S.P. is made by PDP. and the build quality from PDP stuff is bad. PDP is a lower end production company to DW, but the hardware is trash. S.P. stands are pretty nice. my PDP stand hasnt loosened yet, and i hope it doesnt.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:07 AM
audiotech

It's not a well thought out approach to connecting the top of the stand to the tilter. In your example the top of the stand turns into a hugh lever with a ride sitting on top of it and it's bound to loosen over time. After it starts to loosen, there is no glamorous way of fixing it. If you can't get another stand and you're apt with hand tools, I would just drill the black pin out and replace it with either a larger pin, or drill the hole larger and put a small diameter bolt through it.

Dennis
Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
It's not a well thought out approach to connecting the top of the stand to the tilter. In your example the top of the stand turns into a hugh lever with a ride sitting on top of it and it's bound to loosen over time. After it starts to loosen, there is no glamorous way of fixing it. If you can't get another stand and you're apt with hand tools, I would just drill the black pin out and replace it with either a larger pin, or drill the hole larger and put a small diameter bolt through it.

Dennis
Audio tech is right about putting a bigger pin in, but don't drill the pin out, push it out with a small drift and hammer. It is not an allen bolt. It is a press pin. Once you have the old one out, get a bigger pin, or just a nut and bolt, and drill a hole in the same location the diameter of your pin or bolt. If you use a bolt and nylock nut, then you might be able to tighten it up enough to put pressure on all parts to get rid of wiggle. Plus it will be easier to work on down the road.

Or you could just buy a better quality stand. :)
Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Audio tech is right about putting a bigger pin in, but don't drill the pin out, push it out with a small drift and hammer. It is not an allen bolt. It is a press pin. Once you have the old one out, get a bigger pin, or just a nut and bolt, and drill a hole in the same location the diameter of your pin or bolt. If you use a bolt and nylock nut, then you might be able to tighten it up enough to put pressure on all parts to get rid of wiggle. Plus it will be easier to work on down the road.

Or you could just buy a better quality stand. :)
Just saving him another step since he has to drill the pin opening bigger to be able to get a larger pin inside.

Dennis
Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 PM

I had something similar happen with a couple of my Gibraltar boom arms. They have also used a pin to attach the boom to the down tube. If the pin slips out, the boom arm is free to swing away from you with each strike. Very annoying. I had to carefully drill mine out, then I used a rivet tool (about $17 at Lowes) to replace the broken pin. It's an easy fix and it works.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_45272-412-RH...3Drivet%2Btool