DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Re: My 14 Piece Mapex Saturn in Arctic White

Very "Neil Peart" setup........... amazing! It must be a hard time to set it up, especially on the rocks.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:10 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple kit user View Post
Very "Neil Peart" setup........... amazing! It must be a hard time to set it up, especially on the rocks.
Amazing what I will do for a good photo op :) I had to level the rocks out, build a 2x4 platform,sheet it with plywood, set the kit up, then cover all the exposed plywood up with rocks and leaves. lots of fun. This little baby will spend most of its life in the basement. I have a 7 piece for gigging.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 PM

That playground looks like a lot of fun. Years ago I had a large kit, but as I've aged, I'm getting too lazy to carry more than I do. I'm already the first in - last out at gigs. Great pics!.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:32 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
That playground looks like a lot of fun. Years ago I had a large kit, but as I've aged, I'm getting too lazy to carry more than I do. I'm already the first in - last out at gigs. Great pics!.
I have to stay in shape somehow. :)
Old 03-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

I've looked at this thread about 3 times but i've only just taken this drum kit in, it's that epic. Awesome.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I've looked at this thread about 3 times but i've only just taken this drum kit in, it's that epic. Awesome.
Thank you very much sir. I need to reiterate how nice this forum membership has been so far. It has been very refreshing.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM

And sorry I'm asking more questions :p but how long did it take to construct this monstrosity? Did you buy a lot of it all at once or did you just keep building on until it came to this awesome kit?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
And sorry I'm asking more questions :p but how long did it take to construct this monstrosity? Did you buy a lot of it all at once or did you just keep building on until it came to this awesome kit?
Don't be afraid to ask me questions. I love to share or I wouldn't be here :)

I bought the original 7 piece kit new from a drum store. When I got it home I knew it needed more. I have always used a rack with electronics, so I knew this was the only way to go. I started to design my rack on paper, and quickly ordered 7 more drums, and all my rack pieces. While I was waiting for the other drums to arrive, I got my cymbal collection together, and built my rack as the pieces came in. The special order pieces came about 3 months later. All in all it took about 4 months from beginning to where I am now.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM

That's certainly a nice kit you have there! You know what it lacks? A cowbell. :)

My (Dutch) Blog!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
That's certainly a nice kit you have there! You know what it lacks? A cowbell. :)
Cowbells are for cows :) Just kidding. I wanted to leave the expensive stuff for last. I do have a spot all laid out for it. I am just waiting for someone to get me one for my birthday. A nice black one of course.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Well, no surprise you're waiting. Cowbells, woodblocks, chimes, tambourines, etc. are surprisingly expensive. And I never got why.

Where will your cowbeel be placed? :)

My (Dutch) Blog!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Well, no surprise you're waiting. Cowbells, woodblocks, chimes, tambourines, etc. are surprisingly expensive. And I never got why.

Where will your cowbeel be placed? :)
You see my DW cymbal trident up front and center. Well DW makes this nice little 5" accessory arm, and I am going to drop two of them straight down off of the horizontal arms on either side of the DW badge. I will put two different size cowbells there.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Hi again! What do you think about those 22" x 20" bassdrums compared to 22" x 18" bassdrums?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhenkka View Post
Hi again! What do you think about those 22" x 20" bassdrums compared to 22" x 18" bassdrums?
Well this is just my opinion now, so everyone don't get up in arms. :) When I brought this kit home I had my son play the kit while I stood out front and listened. I could not believe the sound of them. With the stock heads, the sound was tight, projected beautifully, low, and not boomy at all. I have nothing inside my kick drum. The deeper length gives you the depths of sound without going to a bigger Diameter. The big reason there has been such a trend towards 22" bass drums over the last little while is because the pedal feel is much better than on a 24". Shorter Mallet length, plus tighter head = faster response. This is why Neil Peart went with a 23" bass. More of the sound of a 24 but the feel of a 22. I guess he also could of went with a 22" and just made it deeper.

I also love the way a deep bass looks. Think of Alex Van Hallen and his 3 deep bass drums. I really don't like the look of shallow bass drums. Bigger diameter bass drums just raise the height of your toms, and I have no use for that either. I like them as low as possible. That was definitely more then my 2 cents worth. :)

Last edited by sticks4drums; 03-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Well this is just my opinion now, so everyone don't get up in arms. :) When I brought this kit home I had my son play the kit while I stood out front and listened. I could not believe the sound of them. With the stock heads, the sound was tight, projected beautifully, low, and not boomy at all. I have nothing inside my kick drum. The deeper length gives you the depths of sound without going to a bigger Diameter. The big reason there has been such a trend towards 22" bass drums over the last little while is because the pedal feel is much better than on a 24". Shorter Mallet length, plus tighter head = faster response. This is why Neil Peart went with a 23" bass. More of the sound of a 24 but the feel of a 22. I guess he also could of went with a 22" and just made it deeper.

I also love the way a deep bass looks. Think of Alex Van Hallen and his 3 deep bass drums. I really don't like the look of shallow bass drums. Bigger diameter bass drums just raise the height of your toms, and I have no use for that either. I like them as low as possible. That was definitely more then my 2 cents worth. :)
Hah got it! Great answer :)

I'm going to get Saturns as soon as possible so I'm trying to choose between 22" x 20" and 20" x 18". Not sure yet but that 20" deep looks definetly better!

How would you compare response between those two?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhenkka View Post
Hah got it! Great answer :)

I'm going to get Saturns as soon as possible so I'm trying to choose between 22" x 20" and 20" x 18". Not sure yet but that 20" deep looks definetly better!

How would you compare response between those two?
The feel of the head with the pedal should be very similar. I love the feel of mine. I think the 20"deep should be a little bit softer because there is more room to push air. Less likely to get beater bounce off of the head. The biggest problem with the 20" deep is getting though door ways. You have to be very careful.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 AM

I think you need a bigger kit dude :P

seriously though that's a nice set up you got. white is a very under-appreciated color for drums in my opinion.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Not a fan of big kits usually but man. This one caught my eye. It's a clean, efficient looking setup, unlike a lot of those ones you see with piles upon piles of cymbals and toms.

I feel like I should congratulate you or something....
Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
Not a fan of big kits usually but man. This one caught my eye. It's a clean, efficient looking setup, unlike a lot of those ones you see with piles upon piles of cymbals and toms.

I concur...there's actual thought into this set-up! Clean, organized, and focused on the sounds the drummer needs. Might call it common sense.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:59 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiadrummer View Post
I think you need a bigger kit dude :P

seriously though that's a nice set up you got. white is a very under-appreciated color for drums in my opinion.
You are very right about that. You need to see the contrast in person to get the full effect.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post

Thanks guys. Nice to be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Cool, clean set-up. Love the color, but I am partial to white drums. ;-p

BTW, what sizes are you running up front? 10, 12, 13?

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Cool, clean set-up. Love the color, but I am partial to white drums. ;-p

BTW, what sizes are you running up front? 10, 12, 13?
Thanks man. Yes, up front is 10x8, 12x9, 13x10
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
That drum riser must be a bitch to set up with all the rocks.
Actually, it was a hill at first. Then he set his kit up there and started playing, resulting in the destruction of the hill over a half-hour period.

Kidding aside, this is a great set, pro-level and planned out with much thought. Monster kits get a lot of criticism but they are simply one of the many variations of the trap drum set.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Actually, it was a hill at first. Then he set his kit up there and started playing, resulting in the destruction of the hill over a half-hour period.

Kidding aside, this is a great set, pro-level and planned out with much thought. Monster kits get a lot of criticism but they are simply one of the many variations of the trap drum set.
I am starting to get the feeling that this site is pro small kits. I know what a lot of you are saying. I would not take this thing out to gigs all the time. This is my mid-life crises, go crazy, get the kit you have always wanted kit. I use it for practice, and recording. I have a tiny 7 piece kit for taking out. That is as small as I go. :) Thanks again for the kind words.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am starting to get the feeling that this site is pro small kits. I know what a lot of you are saying. I would not take this thing out to gigs all the time. This is my mid-life crises, go crazy, get the kit you have always wanted kit. I use it for practice, and recording. I have a tiny 7 piece kit for taking out. That is as small as I go. :) Thanks again for the kind words.
Some small kit players have a chip on their shoulder. I have never heard anyone say to a four-piece player, "Your kit is too small." I hear many people say to a monster kit player, "Your kit is too big" or "You must be compensating for something," or "If you were any good you wouldn't need all those drums." I think most 4-piece players secretly wish to be mistaken for jazz drummers. Four-piece kits say SERIOUS. Monster kits say FUN (until you have to move them, which is not so fun).

Most drummers play on mid-sized kits of 5 to 8 pieces that attract little attention. I used to play on a 6-piece but I have whacked it down to a 4 but I will change it up again before long.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Some small kit players have a chip on their shoulder. I have never heard anyone say to a four-piece player, "Your kit is too small." I hear many people say to a monster kit player, "Your kit is too big" or "You must be compensating for something," or "If you were any good you wouldn't need all those drums." I think most 4-piece players secretly wish to be mistaken for jazz drummers. Four-piece kits say SERIOUS. Monster kits say FUN (until you have to move them, which is not so fun).

Most drummers play on mid-sized kits of 5 to 8 pieces that attract little attention. I used to play on a 6-piece but I have whacked it down to a 4 but I will change it up again before long.
I love these sites for talking drums with other drummers, but I just can't seem to figure them out. I am always saying or doing something wrong. It seems to be hard to stay out of trouble when you have strong opinions on stuff :)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I love these sites for talking drums with other drummers, but I just can't seem to figure them out. I am always saying or doing something wrong. It seems to be hard to stay out of trouble when you have strong opinions on stuff :)
Don't take much personally, especially if you have never met or seen the person, unless they are saying something nice about you. Then you can take it personally. Makes things much more enjoyable.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Don't take much personally, especially if you have never met or seen the person, unless they are saying something nice about you. Then you can take it personally. Makes things much more enjoyable.
Yeah, there is a lot to be said for that. You never really know what the person on the other end is hearing in terms of their own tone of voice. Sometimes people who write like a**holes, are just trying to be clear about what they are saying, or may even be joking. Over time you develop a sense of the person. Some people are just jerks though and seem to get off on arguing.

All in all, I like the saying that "winning an argument on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics." (No offense intended to anyone here).

I'm really impressed by your huge kit, and I'm sure the time and care you put into the pictures translate to all of us gearheads. I kind of equate it to looking at pictures of bodybuilding competitions though. I can't see myself ever going to that extreme, but I am impressed with the effort and discipline in achieving what is obviously a passionate personal goal.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Seriously...

I read the thread that I think you're referring to. Sounds like a lot of misguided anger, to me. Why care?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Yeah, there is a lot to be said for that. You never really know what the person on the other end is hearing in terms of their own tone of voice. Sometimes people who write like a**holes, are just trying to be clear about what they are saying, or may even be joking. Over time you develop a sense of the person. Some people are just jerks though and seem to get off on arguing.

All in all, I like the saying that "winning an argument on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics." (No offense intended to anyone here).

I'm really impressed by your huge kit, and I'm sure the time and care you put into the pictures translate to all of us gearheads. I kind of equate it to looking at pictures of bodybuilding competitions though. I can't see myself ever going to that extreme, but I am impressed with the effort and discipline in achieving what is obviously a passionate personal goal.
Nice analogy, with the weight lifting.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Seriously...

I read the thread that I think you're referring to. Sounds like a lot of misguided anger, to me. Why care?
I am getting better at least. He expected me to come back at him with all sorts of crap, and I didn't. A couple of months ago I would of. I am 46 and I am just starting to figure this out. You young guys out there need to figure this out much sooner than me. It makes life much easier.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

I personally love big kits. Back in my progressive days, I was playing a double-bass, 11-piece kit. As a gigging drummer, and as genres of music have changed, I've obviously scaled down a bit. There are several venues that I now play, where I get to set up a 3-up, one down kit, which is my ideal set-up. Though, I'm still armed and ready, for that big progressive gig, which I will set up 8,10,12,13,15,16, 20,24, plus timbale. ;-p

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I know what you mean about all the big-kit hate. I've said this time and time again, but it's like this with all instruments and probably any activity that involves some sort of purchasing or tayloring to your own preferances.
With drums it's people who don't like big kits, with bass players it's people who don't like basses with > 4 strings or too many frets and with guitarists it's players who don't like EMG pickups or non-standard tunings...
Some people just want to feel better about themselves by criticising others. They're the ones who are really "compensating for something".

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
. They're the ones who are really "compensating for something".
Absolutely True !!!!

*** Please check my location, where i'm from. Yes, i'm french ***
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Hello there,

This is an awesome set up.
I`m a Mapex freak and have 2 Saturns and one is in artic white (7 piece with BP walnut snare). The other one is electric berry burst 5 piece with BP 13 X 6,5 ).

20 X 20 bassdrum
10 X 07 tom
12 X 08 tom ( 2 X ) I will let one cut down to 12 X 6,5.
15 X 13 floortom
16 X 14 floortom

How did you remove the brackets on your floortoms and change them into racktoms?? I will maybe do the same,but I don`t know how??
Will you please tell me??

Regards,
Fred

MAPEXXXXXXXXXXXX RULLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ
Old 06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglepoes View Post
Hello there,

This is an awesome set up.
I`m a Mapex freak and have 2 Saturns and one is in artic white (7 piece with BP walnut snare). The other one is electric berry burst 5 piece with BP 13 X 6,5 ).

20 X 20 bassdrum
10 X 07 tom
12 X 08 tom ( 2 X ) I will let one cut down to 12 X 6,5.
15 X 13 floortom
16 X 14 floortom

How did you remove the brackets on your floortoms and change them into racktoms?? I will maybe do the same,but I don`t know how??
Will you please tell me??

Regards,
Fred

MAPEXXXXXXXXXXXX RULLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ
It is quite easy. All the toms mounts just sit underneath the lugs. Take the lugs off that hold the mount and use the same lugs and mount in a different location on the drum. You need to use the same lugs that are holding the mount because they have a slightly longer thread to make up for the thickness under the mount.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nice analogy, with the weight lifting.
All i would say is that being a weight lifter is a very different thing from being a bodybuilder. A weightlifter is about strength whereas bodybuilding is purely about muscle appearence.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
All i would say is that being a weight lifter is a very different thing from being a bodybuilder. A weightlifter is about strength whereas bodybuilding is purely about muscle appearence.
I meant Body Builder. Quite trying so hard. Oh and body builders care about being strong as well. They just go the extra mile to actually look good as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

First time I saw this. Christ that is an achievement. You know when you see a new car on the market like an Audi R8, and you say "I am gonna get one of those", I do to, but I have to wait 15 years until a worn out used one comes on the market, lol.

Awesome pictures too. That is worth a bike ride out to visit lol. I just did a track day at Calabogie on Friday, but it didn't excite me enough to plate the bike.