DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Drum Cases - hard or soft - Tuxedo

I have hard fiber cases I used with good success for years with my mid-70's Slingerlands but they finally wore out. I like them because of their not being heavy or bulky. The only drawback was they were sloppy - the drums slapped around a bit in them. I was going to have foam supports inserted in them but never got around to it. I bought a set of Tuxedo soft bags for my other (60's Ludwig) set recently and are having good service from them so far - just about a years use with no tears...etc. I want to buy a set of cases for my Slingerland set now and want some advice on soft vs hard and if anyone has experince with long term use of soft Tuxedo bags.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drum Cases - hard or soft - Tuxedo

about 2 years ago, i went w/ H&B "drum seeker" lined soft cases for my jazz kit. unbelievable & would never go back to the fibre stuff (still have the foam / vulcanized for my rock kit) unless i had a serious road gig...but would probably get H&B enduro's if the cost was on me. the drum seeker stuff is very tough, pretty rigid, beefy zippers & lining looks to be synthetic sheep...super plush. warning: all cats love these too, heh.

here is a shot of the "drum seeker":
+ http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php...ducts_id=10785
Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM

I've gigged with The H&B Drum Seekers for the past year and they are fantastic. I would recommend them if you are loading your own gear in/out every gig. If not save up for Enduro's.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM

The choice of hard or soft cases depends on your needs. I have an old set of Tuxedo bags for my jazz set and they have held up fairly well for over 20 years, although I recently had to have them all re-zippered by H&B (for a very nominal price). H&B customer service is outstanding by the way. I like these bags because they are easy on my car, my back, and my drums. They store compactly too. But I do all my own handling and I don't fly or use other public transport with my drums. If you are entrusting your drums to luggage handlers or stage hands, or having them shoved in the luggage compartment of a bus or train, then soft bags are not going to provide the same level of protection as hard cases do. Another factor is weight of contents. I am thinking of buying new trap cases and because of the weight of the hardware, think hard is better than soft even for local transport. I am also thinking two small trap cases might be better than one larger one for ease of handling. I know that would cost more, which is also a consideration. Hard cases cost more than soft cases and if money is an issue, putting you prized drums in soft cases is a whole lot better than shlepping them around un-protected.

Bill
Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 PM

i just picked up a set of soft (but stiff because of plastic in the lining) wolfpak cases for my mapex and i think they are really super good. well designed, well built.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 AM

I was thinking about picking up a set of these Ahead Armor Cases. They're set to come out sometime this month I think? They were shown at NAMM this year.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

I've used Tuxedo bags for years and have been very happy with them. Only negative which is minor is that from time to time I've had the foam between the outer shell and lining squish down a bit. Usually on floor tom bag. Just had to take a little more care when loading that drum. Otherwise the bags have held up extrmely well and still look virtually new. No zipper issues or tears. Bought my first set of them well over ten years ago and have purchased more since. Soft cases take up less space in my vehicle than hard cases. As long as I am doing my own loading and packing I see no reason to get anything else. If I were touring and depending on others to care for my drums I could see hard cases as an option.