DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-02-2011, 04:26 AM
Gold Member

Default Plastic snare wires?

My band teacher finally bought a decent snare (Pearl maple concert snare). However it has these weird plastic or nylon or something wires, that don't make it sound good at all. I don't know if they came with it or if she put them on, but they're definitely more for an acoustic setting, whereas we have to cut over an entire band and orchestra. I've recommend that she get some standard metal ones, but's she's very stubborn and refuses to change them.
I've tried tuning and tightening every which way, and it still doesn't have enough projection.

Are these plastic snare wires meant for concert use?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Plastic snare wires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
My band teacher finally bought a decent snare (Pearl maple concert snare). However it has these weird plastic or nylon or something wires, that don't make it sound good at all. I don't know if they came with it or if she put them on, but they're definitely more for an acoustic setting, whereas we have to cut over an entire band and orchestra. I've recommend that she get some standard metal ones, but's she's very stubborn and refuses to change them.
I've tried tuning and tightening every which way, and it still doesn't have enough projection.

Are these plastic snare wires meant for concert use?
Sounds like a synthetic cat gut snare. Yes, concert snare use. I've also had them on marching drums.

I'd take a listen to the drum from the audience perspective. You might find that it has a nice warm tone that fits in well with the band as a whole. It is not going to 'cut' like as if it had steel or brass snares on it, but I bet the teacher doesn't want it to cut, she wants it to blend in and be a part of the band, not on top of the band.

Playing in a symphonic band or orchestra is different from your own band...it's more like being a session player...whatever the producer/director/conductor wants, he/she gets!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
Sounds like a synthetic cat gut snare. Yes, concert snare use. I've also had them on marching drums.

I'd take a listen to the drum from the audience perspective. You might find that it has a nice warm tone that fits in well with the band as a whole. It is not going to 'cut' like as if it had steel or brass snares on it, but I bet the teacher doesn't want it to cut, she wants it to blend in and be a part of the band, not on top of the band.

Playing in a symphonic band or orchestra is different from your own band...it's more like being a session player...whatever the producer/director/conductor wants, he/she gets!
Hmm ok I'll try listening from an audience perspective.

It just sounds really weird... Its got no response at all, and tbh it sounds like an entry level snare.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

I would really like to check out plastic snares. I think it would produce a warmer, gentler sound. I've never heard of plastic snares even - I just assumed they were all metal.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I would really like to check out plastic snares. I think it would produce a warmer, gentler sound. I've never heard of plastic snares even - I just assumed they were all metal.
That's definitely what they do. Even this this particular drum sounded bad with sticks, it sounded excellent with brushes, I imagine that is their main or one of their main uses.