DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 AM

Default Ludwig Brass on Brass Snare Drums

Hi: Anybody had experience playing on either the 5 x 14 or 6.5 x 14 sizes? Drums look interesting. I currently have both a 5 x 14 Ludalloy Supraphonic 400 (mid 60's) and a 1963 Gretsch 5 x 14 wood snare. These new Ludwigs, I would think combine the metal response of the 400 (although in brass) and the cast rims of the Gretsch (although in brass).

Also the Ludwig Web Site only shows the 5" depth whereas I see on E-Bay that 6.5's can be purchased.

Comments?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Ludwig Brass on Brass Snare Drums

Do you mean black on brass? I have a Ludwig 5 x 14 Black beauty w/ the black nickel shell, brass tube lugs, millenium strainer and gold die cast hoops. I absolutely love it. My next snare is a 6.5 x 14, same thing.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 AM

I have a 5 x 14 Black Beauty which is a brass shell with a black anodized finish. It's a great sounding drum and very versatile. They do also make them in 6.5 depth. I also have an LM402 which is ludalloy and it gives a nice fat tone in the lower tuning range. I have other snares, but I use these two the most.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't heard them, but I've heard COB's and BB's aplenty. These are a BB shell with brass hardware and cast brass hoops yeah? They look excellent and being a sucker for Luddy snares, I imagine they'd sound a treat.

If you deal here, pics are a must please.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 AM

yes, looking at either the LB417/BT (6.5 x 14) or the LB416BT (5 x 14). Since I have a 5 x 14 Ludalloy Supraphonic 400 (for both Dixie and Big Swing Band), I am thinking about the 6.5 depth snare as I need one for band concert work where I am currently using a Premier "Hi-Fi".

However, I don't see it on the Ludwitg web site although it is listed on E-Bay.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
However, I don't see it on the Ludwitg web site although it is listed on E-Bay.
http://www.ludwig-drums.com/snaredrums/brassonbrass.php

EDIT: just realised you meant the LB417BT isn't there. Sorry mate. Still, I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM

I ordered a 5X14 Brass on Brass BB back in October and should be here late March. At least that is what Interstate told me the other day when I called. Can't wait to play her! I''ll post pics when she arrives.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
Hi: Anybody had experience playing on either the 5 x 14 or 6.5 x 14 sizes? Drums look interesting. I currently have both a 5 x 14 Ludalloy Supraphonic 400 (mid 60's) and a 1963 Gretsch 5 x 14 wood snare. These new Ludwigs, I would think combine the metal response of the 400 (although in brass) and the cast rims of the Gretsch (although in brass).

Also the Ludwig Web Site only shows the 5" depth whereas I see on E-Bay that 6.5's can be purchased.

Comments?
You can get them in both sizes at Interstate Music for the best price new out there.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

I sold my first BB w/ tube lugs for a "Brass-on-Brass" and to be *perfectly* honest.........I thought it was a terrible sounding drum, in comparison. It's pretty, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have "that Black Beauty" sound. The die-cast hoops killed the signature character of the drum. I sold it...bought yet another plain 'ol BB...and I'm as happy as can be, once again.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I thought it was a terrible sounding drum, in comparison. It's pretty, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have "that Black Beauty" sound. The die-cast hoops killed the signature character of the drum.
I've often thought about trying some die casts on my BB, Zam and have wondered what it would do to the overall sound. It's an interesting take on it and although I haven't played a BB with cast hoops, I can see where you're coming from.

Is it the fact that it made it sound like one of the BB copies (Big Black, Black Dawg/Hawg or Black Magic) that all seem to come with cast hoops, that diminished the sound for you?

I may have to finally put it to the test and take the hoops off my FF, have a little play around with it and see for myself.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I've often thought about trying some die casts on my BB, Zam and have wondered what it would do to the overall sound. It's an interesting take on it and although I haven't played a BB with cast hoops, I can see where you're coming from.

Is it the fact that it made it sound like one of the BB copies (Big Black, Black Dawg/Hawg or Black Magic) that all seem to come with cast hoops, that diminished the sound for you?

I may have to finally put it to the test and take the hoops off my FF, have a little play around with it and see for myself.
Nah, I've played the Pork Pie BOB and it's a great snare. The BB seriously sounded dead to me....completely without character. The BOB would be a better choice than a Brass-on-Brass. Seriously!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Interesting about the cast rims affecting the sound of the Brass on Brass Snare. So, looks like the Black Beauty ones (with flanged rims) have better response.

When I go to the Music 123 site however, they mention two types of Black Beauty Snare drums: One type with Supra-phonic snares and the other with Super-Sensitive snares (which are more expensive). Are the SS snares like the higher end model of the old Supra-phonic snare drums (Chrome over Aluminum or Chrome over Brass) that had that individual snare wire tensioning arrangement?