DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Default Pedal Spring Keeps Breaking!

Hi

This is really getting on my nerves, I use a Tama Iron Cobra with heavy tension springs, I've had the pedal for about 9 months and I've gone through 2 normal tension springs and 4 heavy tension springs.

I naturally play the pedal quite hard but I have my spring set to a medium setting so there's no real strain on them.

Is this just a thing that happens or is it the pedal or me?

Any help would be awesome!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pedal Spring Keeps Breaking!

omg. 6 springs in 9 months? calm down thunder foot ;)
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the pedal, alignment, a burr.

Where are the springs breaking at?

Pics?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

its probably breaking because you're burying the beater into the bass drum skin and not letting it come back to standard position.

i think its your technique, so work on that.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
its probably breaking because you're burying the beater into the bass drum skin and not letting it come back to standard position.

i think its your technique, so work on that.
Burying the beater is an extremely common technique; I'd wager that 70-80 percent of rock drummers play that way. I certainly do, and I've never come close to breaking a spring on any pedal I've owned (and I stomp my pedals with full force). How would burying the beater break the spring anyway?

Is it the same spring every time (for example always the main pedal spring or slave pedal spring)?

Last edited by Naigewron; 02-22-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM

Hey

It's always the hook that connects to the speedo ring that keeps breaking, and I do bury the head but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't cause it to break.

I was thinkin last night that it could be the temperature in the room? It's an empty house that I keep my drums in so the heating isn't always on, so could the cold be making the spring brittle or something?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llosnd View Post
I was thinkin last night that it could be the temperature in the room? It's an empty house that I keep my drums in so the heating isn't always on, so could the cold be making the spring brittle or something?
I very much doubt it. Normal temperature variations won't affect metal (if that was the case, I'd be afraid to drive over bridges in areas that saw more than a few degrees temperature change between summer and winter). You'd have to heat the metal to be red glowing hot and then cool it very rapidly to make it that brittle.

I'm guessing it's either an alignment problem, or there's an dent, chip or something else on the point of contact (where it always breaks) that causes friction or rips the spring apart. Have a look at it (or have someone look at it for you) and see if you can't find something.

Last edited by Naigewron; 02-22-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

That's very odd. Room temperature sounds like one of the only possible things it could be...where is the resistance coming from? It's a spring!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I very much doubt it. Normal temperature variations won't affect metal (if that was the case, I'd be afraid to drive over bridges in areas that saw more than a few degrees temperatur change between summer and winter). You'd have to heat the metal to be red glowing hot and then cool it very rapidly to make it that brittle.

I'm guessing it's either an alignment problem, or there's an dent, chip or something else on the point of contact (where it always breaks) that causes friction or rips the spring apart. Have a look at it (or have someone look at it for you) and see if you can't find something.
I'll check for any 'abnormalities' when I play this afternoon, if there is something causing it to break I'll hopefully be able fix it and stop it from happening (Y)
Old 02-22-2011, 01:19 PM

I really doubt this is user error here. There is another current thread where "Mr. Orange" broke his spring on his new Speed Cobra. I think probably Tama just put out a small run of defective springs...simple as that. I've used a DW 5002 AD3 and/or 2 single DW 5000's with the DW high tension springs set on medium and never ever had one break in 20 years. Maybe find a compatible spring from another make and see if you still have the problem.....
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I very much doubt it. Normal temperature variations won't affect metal (if that was the case, I'd be afraid to drive over bridges in areas that saw more than a few degrees temperature change between summer and winter). You'd have to heat the metal to be red glowing hot and then cool it very rapidly to make it that brittle.

I think that is correct. These are high-quality pedals and the springs should last indefinitely. It is pretty unlikely you would get two defective springs like this. Something in the pedal is stressing them.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

Most likely a burr in the speedo ring from what you are saying.