DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Location: Nebraska, the most boring place you could ever live.
Default Tom Mounts and Anything Else I Need to Know

Okay, as several of you will notice from this post, I'm really just a beginner drummer. At this time, I've only been playing for one year. For the most part, my kit is a pretty standard starter kit; a Yamaha with a high-hat and snare, 2 middle toms and a floor tom, two crashes, a ride, and a double bass pedal. But recently I purchased an 8-inch tom with an open bottom. I tried putting it on my cymbal stands, but it works out being way too close to the cymal to play it without hitting the bottom of the cymbal. I'm almost positive I need to purchase something else to put it on (preferably not too expensive). I'm new to the forums, and new to the drumming world. Any advice you can offer me is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Tom Mounts and Anything Else I Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan L View Post
Okay, as several of you will notice from this post, I'm really just a beginner drummer. At this time, I've only been playing for one year. For the most part, my kit is a pretty standard starter kit; a Yamaha with a high-hat and snare, 2 middle toms and a floor tom, two crashes, a ride, and a double bass pedal. But recently I purchased an 8-inch tom with an open bottom. I tried putting it on my cymbal stands, but it works out being way too close to the cymal to play it without hitting the bottom of the cymbal. I'm almost positive I need to purchase something else to put it on (preferably not too expensive). I'm new to the forums, and new to the drumming world. Any advice you can offer me is greatly appreciated.
Hi there i read through what you where saying and am a little confused to what your meaning first off what do you mean by "Its open at the bottom" do you mean it dose not have a drum head on the bottom of the tom? And you say your drum sticks hits off the underneath or bottom of the cymbal when your trying to hit the tom if you just adjust the tom arm/camp that you have attached to your cymbal stand to the hight and angle you want and this should pretty much solve your problem. Hope what vie said helps you out.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan L View Post
Welcome to the crazy world of drumkit personalization. The only two drumkits that are alike are in showrooms; all the ones that people actually own and play are like snowflakes.

You will likely have to purchase a tom mounting arm and a multi-clamp for your new tom. I'm not completely certain how you are trying to mount it now on your cymbal stand, but from what you're saying, it's probably not the designed way.

There's as many different tom mounts as there are manufacturers, so if you can give us the manufacturer of your 8" tom, or attach a picture, it would help. Attached below is what a clamp and tom arm attached to a cymbal stand should look like for a Pearl-style tom arm, a Yamaha-style tom arm, and a Tama-style Tom arm.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 AM

Yeah, sorry I know I'm not the best at terminology. Thanks for staying with me. I would upload a picture, but I don't have a camera. Finances are tight. Anyway, it's a dw, and at this point the only way I have of mounting it to anything is small hole in the side, just big enough for the cymbal stand to fit through. The cymbal stand is like a boom, so I can angle it. I think you're right about the clamp though. I've tried everything I can think of, and it's just not working. If you have any good brands or something to recommend, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

the "small hole in the side" is a vent hole. You shouldn't use that, as it's not structurally meant to hold the tom's weight, and you could do some damage.

For a DW tom, save up just a bit of money and buy this part:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...6H3yKvuEny1zrw

Important - the L-arm MUST BE 12.7 millimeters in diameter or it won't hold tight.

$29.95 plus shipping isn't a heck of a lot of money, maybe a few days' worth of shoveling driveways, cutting lawns, or what have you.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Haha, no I didn't use the vent hole. It's a separate hole designed for some kind of mount, but again, I'm pretty bad at terminology. But thanks for the link. I'll see what I can do. Hopefully I'll get some things figured out in the near future. Again, thanks for the advice. Any help I can get is wonderful.