DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Default Remo Powerstroke 3, dry snare sound?

Hello, I'm having a difficult time trying to find what dry, fat and wet means as a tag for snare.

English is not my native language so onomatopoeia differs a lot from my language. I'm basically lost and I don't find any samples or explications that doesn't include onomatopoeia.

I'm searching for a snare sound like Stephen Perkin's one in Strays (1:35). Is that a dry (fat is the same as dry, right?) and crack sound or is it wet?

Should I try with a Powerstroke 3 (I know it is more about tuning, but I like how this one sounds)?

Last edited by Vugam; 02-19-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3, dry snare sound?

Yes, that is pretty close to a 'dry' sound. When in comes to snares, 'dry' (to me) is a short sound that sounds good but has more actual tone from the drum than it does snare sound, almost like the drum is on the brink of being choked. A 'fat' sound is is one that has a nice low end, overall big and well rounded sound, and a wet sound is also one that is well rounded, lots of snare sounds and could tone that mingle well with each other.

But it's really hard to explain lol
Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM

As for your question, I would go with either an Ambassador X or an Emperor.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

I know Evans makes a head with little holes around it , I cant remember the name but its very dry
Old 02-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator

They are the Genera HD Dry and the ST dry.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstar View Post
Yes, that is pretty close to a 'dry' sound. When in comes to snares, 'dry' (to me) is a short sound that sounds good but has more actual tone from the drum than it does snare sound, almost like the drum is on the brink of being choked. A 'fat' sound is is one that has a nice low end, overall big and well rounded sound, and a wet sound is also one that is well rounded, lots of snare sounds and could tone that mingle well with each other.

But it's really hard to explain lol
Ah, finally. Thanks for explaining. I thought fat meant the same as dry.

Yeah, basically, a wet sound is what I'm trying to get rid of, I don't like the sound of the snares. I prefer a clear attack.

Any tips on getting it? I have made the batter lower than the resonant (as dry is the opposite as wet, I made the opposite proccess of making it wet). But it doesn't really sound like a dry snare..

Last edited by Vugam; 02-21-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 AM

When it comes to snare tuning, I'm an idiot so you'll have to find that help elsewhere. I think having the snare side head very tight would give a dryer sound, also tighten the snares quite a bit too.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

Dry and wet have always meant to me the amount of overtones present. Dry means less overtones. Wet would be the opposite with lots of overtones.
Most people will tell you to get a premuffled head, to crank the bottom snare head, as well as to use less snare wires - maybe a 16 strand set. Tighten them, but don't choke the drum, for a dry sound.
Inversely, for a wet sound, the head choice would be your preference, as an unmuffled head will show more of it's character, which is more personal. A looser reso head, and more looser snares would give you that wet sound.
IMO, fat usually means a darker, lower deeper sound - a 'thud' to use onomatopoeia. Usually a wetter sound is implied, but it certainly doesn't have to be. The opposite of fat being thin...
That snare sound seems to be dry on the recording, but before editing I'm pretty certain it sounded a lot different - fat and wet, then processed. Try a thicker head on top, and experiment with tuning. This is all just one man's opinion. Good luck.

Last edited by jodgey4; 02-22-2011 at 06:39 AM.