DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Default Attack heads at sam ash in atlanta

I was needing to re head my beater kit and stopped by the sam ash in atlanta and they had attack pre pack heads 22 med clear no overtone bd ,14 med coated,12 13 16 clear med for 39.99,I put the no overtone as a reso with a remo powerstroke 3 batter and it sounds darn good.They also were blowing out some EC2's and aquarian double thin single heads starting at 8.99.I generally don't care for big box stores but every time I have been at this sam ash the staff has been friendly , knowledgable and helpful.On a side note they were also setting up a new Mint Oyster Keystone kit,first one I have seen,and for me the jury was still out on the new lugs,but after seeing them in person I have to say I like them,and the mint oyster wrap was pretty cool.They were also a bit heavier than I thought they would be,and looked well made.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Attack heads at sam ash in atlanta

I frequent this store and know the sales manager and some of the drum guys as well. They are more knowledgable than most...
Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Attack heads at sam ash in atlanta

I live in the San Fernando Valley/Los Angeles county area of SoCal. I can tell you that there is a world of difference between the Sam Ash that is 10 minutes away and the one that is in Hollywood (25 minutes away).

The shopping experience in the close by store is always a drag. Inexperienced, overworked drum guys (and gals on occasion), relatively weak stock, tedious check out, etc.

The Hollywood store is totally different. GREAT stock. Helpful, experienced personnel.Nice looking store and where I would comfortably buy small or big ticket items. It's easy to see why. They are right on Sunset Blvd, close to top drawer pro recording and rehearsal areas. They will see a direct benefit from having quality sales people if someone like John Robinson walks through the door. The places close to me (Sam Ash, Guitar Center) have to deal with young teens as a permanent e-drum fixture (Don't know why they don't put an 18 and older requirement on playing electronic drums....that would solve a lot of problems). The payoff for people who have knowledge is minimal.

One of my favorite local independents (West LA Music) let their drum manager go and my favorite sales guy quit to go back to Canada. West LA is still an OK place to go but when you lose quality people you have a relationship and history with, it's tough to find a replacement (which I haven't yet).

So I would say, drum shopping as well as any other competitive product shopping can change by just the people that you deal with or sometimes by an entire store's different demographic focus.

Jim

Jim Martin Music