DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Head troubles.

I cant quite find the sound im looking for with Evans heads on my drums. I am currently using Evans EC2 heads, i have been through several kinds on my catalina ash kit. I have done the EC2's previously mentioned, hydraulics and GC2s, i am still using the stock gretsch resonant heads. (im hoping that its as simple as throwing some GC2s on the bottom)

The only two brands i currently have access to are Evans and Remo. I am using moongels to dampen on top of the heads.

Drum sizes (diameter/depth)

8X7 (put a regular GC2 on this one)
10X7
12X9
16X16

22X18 bass drum- needs a new batter soon and im not sure what to go with at all. It sounded awesome stock with a small pillow in it.

14" snare sounds awesome, i kept the stock snares and snare side head, put a GC2 coated head on the top and it sounds awesome, i am looking for advice on how to bring out a sharper "snare" sound if that makes any sense, almost like a marching snare crispness with a little more tone. I realize this may be impossible lol.

My issue is with the Toms, when i first replaced the batter heads i was blown away with the sound and very happy, it had the perfect sound for my band (metal band, but the guys still want the toms to sound like more than thuds, and i get to do a lot of creative drum parts), so they had a nice dark tone to them, with a nice short sustain. It was the best ive heard this kit sound.

Today when i was jamming with the guys, i hated the sound of the kit. I wanted to keep tuning and tightening the heads, i hated my kick drum sound as well.

Im just looking for some advice on how to get the sounds ive (poorly) described lol. I dont want to just keep going through heads and heads tossing money at the issue. This is driving me absolutely crazy lol, so any help i can get would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh yeah, i also want to try some black colored heads, but im worried about them marking up and looking like garbage. I just wanted to try it out wit hthe black wrap and black chrome. Also, when i had the hydraulics on, i liked the sound when i hit the drum from the bottom. I still have the full hydraulic set and theyre pretty much brand new, would putting them on the resonant side help me achieve that sound?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Head troubles.

how long have you had the kit?

the resonant heads vibrate too, so they do wear out just not as fast. i would suggest if that you've had it for longer than 1 to 2 years you should replace bottom head skins too.

if you want a bit of a dark thud kind of low tuning on your toms i think you should try performance 2's from aquarian.

but if what you're looking out for is a more defined note try out responses 2's, or evans ec2/g2's or remo emperors.

some people would say put the same head on your reso side as your batter but others say to put something like a g1, or ambassador or classic clear on it - i would go with the 1ply.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Cool, i was hoping it was the reso heads, buti t was werid, one jam i LOVE the sound, the next i hated it, it was very sudden lol.

I dotn have a shop here that sells aquarian heads....i wish. Not only do i love the look of them, the sound is amazing as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Administrator

EC2's and moongels may be too much dampening and why they don't sound good. And put some Evans Clear G1's on the reso side.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM

The EC2s and moongels sounded perfect last time, it was literally a sound change that happened somewhere from last monday till this saturday. Ill try changing over the reso heads next pay day and see what happens (it might be before then depending on how nuts this drives me)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Evans has many types of batter heads, so you should be able to find what you need. How your drums sound can be affected by many things besides heads, tuning, etc. Other factors include room acoustics, humidity, and you. The drums at my church stay there and are not changed unless I change them. Sometimes the snare sounds different to me when nothing has changed (it is metal by the way.). So it must be me. I suspect the same thing may be happening to you.

Also, the tom bottom heads are almost as important as the top heads, and they do wear out. Good luck.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark