DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Default YESS Mount placement

Hey guys,
If any of you guys have Yamaha's YESS mounts or the YESS II's, I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could post the depth of the drum and the distance from the bearing edge to the mount interface on the shell.

If that's too much trouble, just take a picture of the drum and post it so I can measure it myself on the screen.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by wsabol; 02-03-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: YESS Mount placement

It's going to vary depending on the depth and diameter of the drum... for what shell size?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Gold Member

I'm almost positive it will only depend on depth, but you are welcome to convince me otherwise. It's conceptually the same as the position of the chords on xylophone/marimba keys. They are placed so that the chord runs through the nodal point of the vibrating key, so that the natural vibration is unimpeded. If you think of a cross section through the depth of the drum shell, from edge to edge, the YESS II mounts perform the same function as the chords mentioned above.

I'm need this information because I'm building my own custom set, and I want YESS II mounts. You can't buy them from Yamaha without also buying a drum ($$$$), so I have to design my own. I've done some calcs, and I know where the marimba key chords are placed, but I would like to verify what I've speculated with the actual product.

I've Googled YESS mount images, and tried to measure them on screen, but the camera angles are always funny, and I can't get consistent measurements..
Old 02-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Gold Member

But to answer your question, I only need it for a 12" tom.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

I only have mine on my 16"x14", so let's do fractions and percentages. The mount is 2.25 inches from the top bearing edge. That makes it approximately 16.07 percent of the distance to the bottom bearing edge. So multiply your drum depth by .1607 for each drum to work out the nodal point.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 AM
audiotech

I have no set distance. It all depends where I want the toms in terms of easy reach placement. I did measure them and the 8" shell is 4" from the mounts adjustment, the 10" is 4 1/2" and the 12" shell is 4" from the shell"s mount adjustment.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Gold Member

I'm talking about the actual interface between the shell and the mount. Yamaha prescribed those numbers, and I want to copy it. I'm not talking about your personal tom placement on the tom arm.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
audiotech

If you're talking about the actual tom mounting bracket that's attached to the toms, it's about 15/16" from the shell to the outside of the tom mount.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Your 'nodal point' is going to be on line with with your lug hole, if you have two lug holes, its in the middle.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

on my 12" Yamaha Oak custom the center line of the yess mount screws holes are about 1 1/2" from the bearing edge (give or take a 1/16")
With these lugs, the holes are about 3/4" above the lug screw.

(On the 14" FT, in terms of the distance from the lug screw it's maybe 1" and 2" from the bearing edge.)

Re. what Les said, That would be the case w/ these lugs but they have 1 screw and a false screw in the lug that goes 1/2 way into the shell but not drilled through.
That would put the YESS screw right between these 2 points.

Last edited by Big Foot; 02-03-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

... so did YAMAHA (others) do vibration testing to find the 'nodal point(s)' on their shells, or is it a basic mathematical formulae?

If your shell is not to YAMAHA specs, can you assume it will have a slightly different nodal point?

How much will 1/8" either way affect sound/vibration(s)?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
How much will 1/8" either way affect sound/vibration(s)?
Go home. Grab a knife that all made of metal. Pitch (not too tighly) in the center of the knife's handle. Tap it on the counter. Hear it resonate?! Now pitch it where ever else you like. It won't resonate as much, or it will at a much high pitch.

Object in free vibration have specific nodal points that don't move. So grabbing, pitching, or screwing something into them shouldn't affect the vibration.

For an ideal, free floating, vibrating beam, these nodal points are 1/4 the length from the edge. So there is one at 25% and one at 75% the length. This is true in marimba keys.

However, in drum shells the motive force isn't omnipresent. The shells is specifically excited at the ends (the bearing edges). So the nodal points may shift.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Your 'nodal point' is going to be on line with with your lug hole, if you have two lug holes, its in the middle.

No. not necessarily. Drum companies position there lugs so that they fit a standard tension rod length, not to the nodal point of the drum. The nodal point of the shell is specific to the length of the shell. It not wherever you want it to be.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
No. not necessarily. Drum companies position there lugs so that they fit a standard tension rod length, not to the nodal point of the drum. The nodal point of the shell is specific to the length of the shell. It not wherever you want it to be.
but in the case of my 12" & 14" yamies the YESS bolts land pretty much in line w/ the lug - coincident? - I dunno. besides yamaha would spec and length bolt that was required pretty much the same cost to them.

But imo, 1/8" of an inch, plus or minus, isn't going to be audibly noticeable anyone.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

No. not necessarily. Drum companies position there lugs so that they fit a standard tension rod length, not to the nodal point of the drum.

Might be the case for a home builder though not a company like YAMAHA, their designs are not dependent on 'standard' drum parts.

If a company/builder has identified the nodal point of their shell, they're simply going to mount both the lugs and the tom brackets on the same line.

So your lug holes should be on your nodal point line, along with your tom bracket holes if the design of the bracket permits.