DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Tama Speed Cobra Quality/Longevity??

BROKEN SPRING!!!
I was practicing for about 3 hours and broke my spring as well, exactly like the previous picture. I play loose tension. Granted I was working on double bass speed for the entire time, 40 min on, 10min off. My guess too is that the spring got too hot. I'm interested too see if Tama will at least hook me up with a spring. My DW 9000 lasted 8 years so far, guess it'll be on more gigs than I had planned.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

I used to have an old best up pearl pedal and couldn't figure out how these guys were going so fast. I bough the SC when it 1st came out and adjusted it to my liking. Now I can go much faster then before.
I have the beaters flat (not point strickibg the head) , at about 4 inches from the head at rest position. I bought them in quite a bit and that increased my speed.
I also pushed thd beater down so only 5 inches show up from the aluminum bracket to the tip of the beater . Thus there is quite a bit of the shaft sticking out the other end. That increased my speed as well. There is a little collar on each beater snd I put that all the way closer to the beater (giving it more weight).
I also brought the pedal down . I am not very flexible and always have problems playing on other kits with normal/stiff angles. I have to buy older tama titans hihats that are the only ones I know of that can have the pedal nearly flat. My SC is about 2.75 inches high (measured from the most forward point of the pedal , straight down.

Both pedals are pretty much adjusted the same. I hope that helps.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM

I've had my single SC for 4 months now and I'm still absolutely loving it. I did use a double DW7000 (still have it and break it out on occasion), and it's a huge world of difference as far as how much smoother and faster the SC is. I'll get back to you in a year to see if it's still holding up (it will be).
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM

I'm considering buying this.
I currently own an Iron Cobra.
I used to be a fan of this pedal but now, for some reason, I don't really love it anymore.
I tried an Eliminator a while back (chain drive) and idk... it felt much easier to play (even if I have to admit... one of my favorite features of the IC is the heavy sound it has, which the almost every other pedal I tried lacks).

So this is kind of a dilemma. The IC is heavy, therefore hits hard, but it makes it heavy to use on my feet as well.

So I decided to try something else anyway. For a while I've been thinking of selling a kidney or something and get an Axis, but then I've seen the Speed Cobra. The way it's done makes me think that it might have the same hard-hitting feeling of my IC, but it might just be easier to push on the head and easier to achieve higher speed.
Is that true? Is the weight comparable to the IC or did they make it a bit lighter? Did someone here switch from IC to SC?

EDIT: Let me add that I still think that direct drive+longboard stuff like the Axis would be superior but, since I still suck at double pedal, I don't think that investing on top-notch gear makes too much sense. Probably investing in cymbals is a better idea.

Cheers!
Dan
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM

I used an IC double (older model, before they came out with all the cam variations) for several years. Served me well but was not too happy with the slave response.

Upgraded to a SC a few months ago. Man, what a difference. Feels FAR lighter than the IC, but with a longer footboard too. You get the same amount of power (if not MORE) with consderably less effort, due to the cam design, beater design, etc. etc.

IMO, if you are accustomed to the feel of the ICs the transition to an SC will be much easier than an Axis longboard. Not to mention your wallet will be happier!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 AM

I've had my SC double pedal for a year and a bit.. It took awhile to get used to from regular IC.. The balance point is different, things like double pop out quicker.. I had the wobble thing at first as well. There's a circular thing underneath the beater base that needs to be tightened with an allen key.

Another thing to consider is the pedal board on a double is going to be longer than a typical hihat stand..I wound up getting a speed cobra hihat stand as well. So the balance point is in the same spot switching from one to another..
Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM

I've tried it a couple of weeks ago. I've been trying it at the store with only a kick drum. Didn't have a chance to play around the kit and try different scenarios (fills, triplets, blasts etc.).
It didn't amaze me at all. To me it felt different, yes, but not that far from the Iron Cobra.

I tried a Perl Demon Drive after that. That was another thing. I don't think I fell in love with it, but it made me realise that, maybe, if I'm going to spend money on a new double pedal, I want to wait and try different ones, to find something which feels better than the IC.

I'd buy the SC in case this IC would break, but it didn't feel like an upgrade to me :(