DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Default Tama Speed Cobra Quality/Longevity??

Hello All,

I decided to start this thread for those playing the Tama Speed Cobra. I am curious what experiences we all are having regarding quality, adjustability, durability etc.. ; not feel, as we presumably already acquired these for their feel. I would like to hear from those who own and actively play this pedal, single or double. If you don't, cool, but please keep your opinions to yourself as I would really like to hear from active users.

Your thoughts are much appreciated and let's get a conversation on this going. Thanks and happy playing!

PS I do play the double version.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Tama Speed Cobra Quality/Longevity??

Got this great pedal a couple weeks ago. In just a few days, my speed improved by a lot, both with double bass and single strokes.

I got a loose med/tension on mine, with the slave pedal beater slightly closer to the bass than the main pedal.

I haven't experimented with the spring (adjusted at the bottom of the pedal) yet.
Does anyone know what this affects?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Got this great pedal a couple weeks ago. In just a few days, my speed improved by a lot, both with double bass and single strokes.

I got a loose/med tension on mine, with the slave pedal beater slightly closer to the bass than the main pedal.

I haven't experimented with the spring (adjusted at the bottom of the pedal) yet.
Does anyone know what this affects?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 AM

I purchased the SC's a couple of weeks ago. As you may know there are two issues that plague the pedal. One is the slave beater wobble and the other is the slave pedal has alot of play in the hinge. I played a set at my local GC and the hinge play was pretty extreme. I could move the front pedal about 1/4 of an inch side to side. Both these issues could become more prevelent as one puts more play time on them. Having said all this, I wouldn't trade them for anything else. I knew they had these issues before my purchase. I've been playing DW 9000's for awhile and the SC's feel way better to me. I will say that my 9000's have some significant hours behind them, alot of which were played with horrible technique, and they still play like brand new. Not a single loose hinge, bearing or anything.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 AM

BTW, the spring at the bottom is called the cobra coil. It's there to assist the pedal board to return to the up position.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM

@kekoa68

I am right there with you, on all fronts. I wasn't previously aware of the issues you mentioned, however, I have defiantly noticed them. Perhaps due to the weaknesses of the slave, I have noticed that the chain on the slave is not pulling completely strait; something I can remedy and most likely due to the issues with the overall "play" in the slave. I too fear for the longevity as my DW is built better. As you mentioned, the "feel" is the best I have played so far. That said, I have never laid my feet upon an Axis, Trick or Sonor pedal; something I would love to do.

Keep the Thoughts Comin'! And Happy Drummin'!

One more question does anyone use the "Cobra Coil"? If so whats your setting and how has it helped or dis-serviced you?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, love mine and have noticed an improvement in my speed..haven't noticed any of the problems mentioned but will now look for them...I have my tension set the same way as most said med-loose with pedals close to even...I did adjust the coils as far back as they would go to get as much spring as possible...not 100% sold these springs actually do much other then it looks like a good idea..
Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 AM

I just wanted to mention there is a fix for the beater wobble. Apparently you slide the beater assembly to the side and there are two allen scews you need to tighten. There's a video on you tube. I have noticed that my slave beater has actually stiffened up since i purchased them. Braincramp, do you feel that moving the cobra coil makes it harder on the down stroke? I'm with you, it doesn't seem like the coil has enough tension to effectively make a difference. I too would like to here about some comparisons with the direct drives.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

cobra coil makes your foot board return to default position quicker, so you don't have to set your spring tension to max, and struggle to push the pedal all the way down for the quick rebound.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM

I have a single pedal that I have playing for about a month. I love the engineering and since I have a single pedal I have not had the issues mentioned.

The only "technical" issue I have with it is about the fastening clamp. On my set it rubs the head before it is all the way to the stop. This makes the pedal move to the side after time.

The other thing is that I have not found the "ultimate" setting for me yet. I have tried a lot of variations. Clear is that the default setting for the foot board angle is way to flat for me. It is almost like i want to have the pedal closer to the head if you know what I mean... And if i have the angle of the beater more to the head I don't get the momentum of the movement.

I know this is very personal, but I would like to know your settings compared to the default (longer mark) on the foot board and beater angle. As well as spring tension. Mine is increased foot board angle and beater angle to follow. And pretty much maxed out spring tension.

But overalll I like it, and the long foot boards is easy to slide on. It is just that sweet sweet adjustment I want to nail.

//Jörgen
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM

@kekoa68
Thanks for the tip on the slave wobble fix. Much appreciated!

As far as the "Cobra Coil" I really don't care for it. It doesn't do a whole lot for me and it feels a bit strange; for now it will stay in the off (or as close too) position.

@Mr. Orange
I too have yet to get the right feel dialed in. The first problem I had was the main beater (stock settings) moving backwards as I was playing. I believe I mentioned, this led to a nice bruise on the top of my foot at the end of that night. Although I was afraid of striping the screw, I have since cranked that sucker down as tight as possible, alas no movement. But I am still searching for the "right feel"

Thanks to all whom are participating in this conversation and please keep your thoughts and tips coming!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM

As far as longevity goes i broke my spring yesterday : (

I could only get the harder version of the IC spring at my local shop. Wonder how it affects performance? I'll let you know if it is something dramatic. It is shorter and harder but I have used a pretty stiff setting previously so I guess it will work for me.

//Jörgen
Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

how do you break a spring... ?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Just playing I'm afraid. I guess it was an manufacturing error. It broke just where the 90 deg bend is for the last loop. (Hope you understand me, it is explaining things like this it shows that English is not my first language.)

//Jörgen

I'll add a photo...
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

wow that's really unlucky buddy. never seen that happen ever.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Good thing I was only rehearsing. No audience...

//J
Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 AM

That's a heavy duty spring. The regular ones are thinner and have black coating.

I had the heavy springs and they also broke in this place (had all them tightened all the way down).
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

I've never seen spring steel break like that, it usually breaks clean/smooth.

What is that thing made of?
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

I tried these at the local drum store the other day. They are nice but there are a couple of things I've noticed about them.

To start with I know they are a long board pedal but Mr Orange mentioned about the footboard being too flat. That is exactly what I thought there wasn't much momentum or power coming from the stroke when I played it.

The cobra coil is an acquired taste I think, I'm still not sure about it everything just seems too bouncy with it and harder to make quick doubles and triplets. In fact I couldn't easily slide on it.

As for speed I don't think it is particularly faster than the normal Iron Cobra Power Glide.

I played a DW 9000 directly after it and that just felt much nicer and more rugged. I love that rugged feel that some pedals have and unfortunately the Speed Cobra doesn't have it.

It's definitely for people who like a lighter pedal though.

If it's a Tama, quality and longetivity shouldn't be an issue with them as they excel in the pedal market maybe the spring was defected in some way?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

The only thing I don't really like about this pedal is the bass drum shell clamp. All I need is a simple clamp, I don't need 3 tightening screws, and the weird hanging clamp. Then the rubber protection got caught in the hanging clamp for several days. It was way bent and I had to super glue it back to the pedal. Then there were other issues with the tightening screws. I took the pedal off, and when I put it back on, it wouldn't tighten. Turns out you have to undo the wing nut, tighten the second screw, then go back and tighten the first one.

A simple clamp and screw will suffice, jeez...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Yesterday we had a really bad day me and my SC...

Our relationship just didn't work. I was late on the beat all the time. I cramped up and had a really lousy rehearsal.

I stayed after rehearsal and ended up copying all the settings from another pedal from another kit, an old Yamaha item.

We'll see what it feels like the next time. I have not got the proper SC spring yet (see previous posts) and even though it is since I broke it I have had problems with it, I can't really belive that it is all in the spring.

Can someone post a pic of their SC that shows what kind of settings you run?

//Jörgen
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
Yesterday we had a really bad day me and my SC...

Our relationship just didn't work. I was late on the beat all the time. I cramped up and had a really lousy rehearsal.

I stayed after rehearsal and ended up copying all the settings from another pedal from another kit, an old Yamaha item.

We'll see what it feels like the next time. I have not got the proper SC spring yet (see previous posts) and even though it is since I broke it I have had problems with it, I can't really belive that it is all in the spring.

Can someone post a pic of their SC that shows what kind of settings you run?

//Jörgen
Might want to try moving the beater closer to the head. It comes with the beater way too far back from the head IMO, so if you haven't adjusted that, it's something you could try.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

im the opposite to daredrummer

i like my beater further from the head so i get more power and i can feel the full stroke.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
im the opposite to daredrummer

i like my beater further from the head so i get more power and i can feel the full stroke.
I always feel that I'm late when it's too far back. It's just preference, I guess...
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Before I moved the beater forward it was slapping the top of my foot. While I enjoyed the long stroke, I didn't enjoyed my foot getting destroyed by the beater!
I too had a crummy session two days ago after making some tweaks to the spring settings. I plan to move them back today.(to a less taught position) The SC is becoming the pedal I love to hate. However, I am going to give it a bit longer to see if things work out....

Thanks for all the input fellow SC users'!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Silver Member

You can replace the spring for a lot less at your local hardware store,about a fourth of the cost,just bring your old spring with you and match it up.I have two IC's,a first generation power glide one that I bought used for 75.00 about 12 years ago,and it was well used when I got it,and is still going strong.I bought a next generation cobra rolling glide and it was not as fast,so I changed the cam to a power glide,better,but still not as fast as the first generation one.The newer cam looks more rounded,maybe that is the cause. I will probably replace the bearings soon,I don't know if they can fail all at once or if the performance can degrade slowly over a long amount of time,but the pedals are worth the expense to me,I have had no problems,I just clean them up and tighten them up and they are ready to go.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 AM

Yesterday I had a good rehearsal! And the settings is back to basic. I think the default settings confused me. I'm beyond the markings... I just set it up as I liked it, more angle on the foot board and longer stroke. A medium+ spring tension. Works fine!

//Jörgen
Old 03-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Got mine today!!
Soon I'll post my thoughts.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 AM

I have the double version and i would really like to know the name of the youtube video on how to fix the wobble even though its not that wobbly i would still want to know how to fix it if it gets worst. Also I can't comment that much on the slave pedal since it is my first double pedal but the main pedal feels pretty nice, i still haven't found that perfect setting but im getting close.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 AM

@kekoa68
Can you post the link to the you tube video for us?

@Everyone
I have now really noticed the play in the main shaft, It seems Tama made it a bit too long?(Pics Coming) I hope it doesn't worsen. I am already playing the slave at an angle. By that, I mean that the chain is not strait and despite my efforts I cannot get it strait. I will post some pictures of what I am referring too. I still love the feel and have found the right settings for me, on the main. The slave needs some TLC, but it isn't a huge issue as I only use the double kick for fills and quick phrases; not playing long blast beats or what-not.

Thanks Everyone for your thoughts and I hope that we can get a link to the YT video. I will post some pics of my issue shortly.....

Happy Drummin'!
W
Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Good thing I was only rehearsing. No audience...

//J
That happened to me on stage once. Had to fumble around in near dark to change the spring before an encore. Having a spare pedal would have been good...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
That happened to me on stage once. Had to fumble around in near dark to change the spring before an encore. Having a spare pedal would have been good...
Yep. Only took one time of busting a chain onstage with no backup for me. Since then, I don't care what kind of POS the pedal is, I keep a backup. Man, that's no fun at all.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Just got mine 3 days ago, it feels great. I takes time getting use to the lightness of the pedal, coming form the previous IC powerglide. Not sure if it is faster than the previous but the feeling is very smooth the longer board makes it more comfortable at least for me. Not sold on the cobra coils, seems those springs are way too soft to make a big difference. i replicated my previous IC setting and that's it. I do recommend playing around with the settings, mainly board and beater position to find what is best suited for you.
my setting;
Board is set one line above the middle, beater 5 inch form skin, medium-tight spring tension, cobra coil on H

/badcatz
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcatz View Post
Just got mine 3 days ago, it feels great. I takes time getting use to the lightness of the pedal, coming form the previous IC powerglide. Not sure if it is faster than the previous but the feeling is very smooth the longer board makes it more comfortable at least for me. Not sold on the cobra coils, seems those springs are way too soft to make a big difference. i replicated my previous IC setting and that's it. I do recommend playing around with the settings, mainly board and beater position to find what is best suited for you.
my setting;
Board is set one line above the middle, beater 5 inch form skin, medium-tight spring tension, cobra coil on H

/badcatz
Nice! Just got mine today. Was messing around with it, but didn't quite find the right settings yet. Though, it will take some getting used to, as it is responding way differently than my other pedal. Plus, I'm I will be playing this on both my electric and acoustic sets. And, this is my first pedal upgrade, as I had a cheap PDP pedal that came stock with my kit. Anyhow, thanks for posting your settings. Medium-tight spring... does that mean you tightened it to go halfway? Ya, I'm not sold on the coil either... seems way too soft.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Just playing I'm afraid. I guess it was an manufacturing error. It broke just where the 90 deg bend is for the last loop. (Hope you understand me, it is explaining things like this it shows that English is not my first language.)

//Jörgen

I'll add a photo...
Hello there,

It seems that the spring has over-heated...

Did you over-tension the spring?

Cheers,
Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 PM

Hello everyone
As a newby on here, i'll start with sharing thoughts on my Speed Cobra which i purchased last week.
Being a Pearl pedal user on and off for overs 25 years, occasionaly trying something different (Premier with rubber springs, dreadful!, Speedking er, no... s/h DW etc) i always went back to my comfortable Pearls, But recently reading the bumpf on SK i bought one...
After an hour of caresing, moving and adjusting, i've got a pedal i'm falling in love with!
Speed, yes, adjustability, yes, power yes, i've never played a pedal were you virtually think and it does it.
Took it to a gig next night and no concerns at all, loads of power, my foot danced like Fred Astaire, and most of all, no leg fatigue...result.
The only fault i can find with it is the felt on the beater, which is starting to wear...
Hopefully Tama will address this, with a more durable beater.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Hi there everybody,I'm a long time reader,first time poster.

I sold my black Axis AL2 longboards around 6 months ago (just couldn't get on with them after a year of trying) and bought the SC double pedals as I've had Iron Cobras before and always found them to be pretty solid pedals,but liked the extra length the longboards gave me so the Speed Cobra seemed the obvious choice.At first when I played them,I noticed a 10-15% improvement in my speed playing so was automatically in love with these pedals....However,as time has passed they(or maybe it's just me!)have developed a few issues so I thought this was the best place to pick the brains of other players :)

1.The beater on the main pedal seems to loosen and drop back after a hard session (which sometimes ends up with it hitting my foot as it's gone back so far)does anyone know any way to stop this other than tighten the allen nut on the outer casing of the pedal mechanism?

2.When doing lots of double footwork,I find my slave pedalboard moves around,sometimes forward (I've set the screws at the front to their spikiest and this seems to have helped a bit),but am still getting the back end of the pedalboard coming round to meet my snare stand!!Anyone else had this problem,or know how to fix it?

3.Does anyone know if you can buy just the replacement heads for the projector beaters (in the UK if possible) or do you have to buy the whole beater?

Cheers

Rich.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

2.When doing lots of double footwork,I find my slave pedalboard moves around,sometimes forward (I've set the screws at the front to their spikiest and this seems to have helped a bit),but am still getting the back end of the pedalboard coming round to meet my snare stand!!Anyone else had this problem,or know how to fix it?

Industrial strength VELCRO, the kind AXIS uses on their pedals.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINDFORMURDER(DRUMS) View Post
1.The beater on the main pedal seems to loosen and drop back after a hard session (which sometimes ends up with it hitting my foot as it's gone back so far)does anyone know any way to stop this other than tighten the allen nut on the outer casing of the pedal mechanism?

3.Does anyone know if you can buy just the replacement heads for the projector beaters (in the UK if possible) or do you have to buy the whole beater?
1) if its not tight ofcorse it's going to loosen... theres no mechanism on the inside that's going to make it move like this. i've had my speed cobras for almost a year now and i havn't ran into this problem... if you got them 2nd hand perhaps the last owner over-tightened the nut which ruined the thread?

3) any tama dealer can get you just the replacement head. i did the same, got the tama iron cobra wooden beater for mine (i prefer wooden beaters) and ended up costing me something like $15 (aud) for each replacement head.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Cheers Les Ismore,I have ordered some industrial velcro so will see if that works.Couldn't find anything that looked like the Axis plastic spike stuff(which were the dogs danglies,pulled up many a practice room carpet tile after a good sesh!)

And Uniin,To be fair I did move the beaters after a couple of months playing to try and improve my speed,so have now given them a damn good tightening with a proper allen key set (I found the key that comes with the pedal was hard to get a good grip on to exert enough pressure)so hopefully that will work,have a gig a Tuesday so that will be the true test.And thanks for the info on the beater heads,shall contact my local shop to see if they can get some for me as I love the extra projection that the convex head gives me.

Cheers for the assistance :)