DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Gold Member

Default Other drumstick woods

Well I have tried tons of different companies hickory, 5A model, and they just don't last that long if you're a hard hitter. I don't like playing anything much heavier than a 5A, but I'm a heavy hitter, so these sticks usually last about a month for me. i've also tried 5A models with bigger tapers, and they still don't last too long.
(I don't like ahead sticks either)

So, with that being said, I'm going to like for a drumstick with a different (more durable) wood. Unfortunately, most drumsticks companies stick to the traditional hickory and maple. The only ones I know of are Pro Mark's Oak line, and the heavy jazz stick (birch) by zildjian (Probably gonna try this one out, but some other options would be nice.)
So does anyone know any other companies that have drumsticks in woods other than hickory and maple? I've looked at lots of companies online, and most just have hickory and maple. Any other oak producers, or other woods?
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Other drumstick woods

Well im sure some will scoff or joke at this, and it's not wood. But you may consider Ahead sticks.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
Well I have tried tons of different companies hickory, 5A model, and they just don't last that long if you're a hard hitter. I don't like playing anything much heavier than a 5A, but I'm a heavy hitter, so these sticks usually last about a month for me. i've also tried 5A models with bigger tapers, and they still don't last too long.
(I don't like ahead sticks either)

So, with that being said, I'm going to like for a drumstick with a different (more durable) wood. Unfortunately, most drumsticks companies stick to the traditional hickory and maple. The only ones I know of are Pro Mark's Oak line, and the heavy jazz stick (birch) by zildjian (Probably gonna try this one out, but some other options would be nice.)
So does anyone know any other companies that have drumsticks in woods other than hickory and maple? I've looked at lots of companies online, and most just have hickory and maple. Any other oak producers, or other woods?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMDDrummer93 View Post
Well im sure some will scoff or joke at this, and it's not wood. But you may consider Ahead sticks.
Missed a line, I guess?

Haha I'm just kidding with ya. Ahead's have great durability, but I just don't like the feel of playing with them.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 AM

wow don't know how i missed that, well in the way of other woods iv heard of White Beech, but only in marching drumsticks.

Another option [although it's not very conventional], you could try using a more concert or orchestral type drumstick, they are usually thicker I.E. Vic Firth SD1s. Also I know of a type vic firth makes from persimmon but they are a little beefy. I guess the thing is where do you draw the line? If you are a heavy hitter and use a thick drumstick you may break heads and cymbals faster. Have you tried 2Bs?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

Theres an online custom company that does purpleheart and jatoba and a few others. Google it, I don't think they were that expensive.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
wow don't know how i missed that, well in the way of other woods iv heard of White Beech, but only in marching drumsticks.

Another option [although it's not very conventional], you could try using a more concert or orchestral type drumstick, they are usually thicker I.E. Vic Firth SD1s. Also I know of a type vic firth makes from persimmon but they are a little beefy. I guess the thing is where do you draw the line? If you are a heavy hitter and use a thick drumstick you may break heads and cymbals faster. Have you tried 2Bs?
Nah I don't like playing anything heavier than 5A's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post
Theres an online custom company that does purpleheart and jatoba and a few others. Google it, I don't think they were that expensive.
Found it, thanks for help.

Hmm a another questions has just arrised...
On the wood hardness charts, oak is lighter than hickory (about the same as maple), however pro mark advertises it as heavier and more durable. These hardness tests are pretty professional, so why does promark advertise oak sticks as heavier?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
actually no.

some people will laugh at this: im happy with a stick lasting 2 hours.

as far as i've noticed promark or vater are the longest lasting.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

Ok guys I think I'm gonna get a pair of zildjian heavy jazz, and then order a pair of the custom site mentioned above and compare. (Unless people have other suggestions)

Once again thanks for the help jodgey.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Hickory is popular because it has the characteristic of absorbing shock, so what when you hit a drum/cymbal the shock doesn't travel into your arm.

Which is why it's also used for ax handles and such.

Other woods tend to not resist shock as well, which is why you just don't see many other woods used.

Plus it's easy to grow.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Hickory is popular because it has the characteristic of absorbing shock, so what when you hit a drum/cymbal the shock doesn't travel into your arm.

Which is why it's also used for ax handles and such.

Other woods tend to not resist shock as well, which is why you just don't see many other woods used.

Plus it's easy to grow.
Well it's just not durable enough for me :/ (At least in 5A size)
I'll take my chances with purpleheart or jatoba.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

I think if 5A's are lasting you about a month and you're a hard hitter you're doing pretty well.

Where are your sticks wearing out? Shoulder, or back near the rim shot area? Clean breaks or wearing away to nothing? Depending on where and how your sticks are wearing might help figure out a course of action.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I think if 5A's are lasting you about a month and you're a hard hitter you're doing pretty well.

Where are your sticks wearing out? Shoulder, or back near the rim shot area? Clean breaks or wearing away to nothing? Depending on where and how your sticks are wearing might help figure out a course of action.
It's near the shoulder. I don't know what you mean by wearing away to nothing, but it's usually a clean break, just spilts (usually when I crash).

I've tried 5A models with bigger tapers , and those still only last a month or so.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

Well, if you refuse to get heavier sticks, I think you really don't have a lot of options.. Of course 5A's will break instantly, you're just using the wrong tool for the job, my friend.

For what I can tell you, I've been using Vic Firth's maple SD1 General for a while and although they're a lot lighter than hickory 5B's, I actually think they are holding up better.. they don't break and peel off, they just dent as it's a softer wood. Maybe you could try some. (They also sound quite different than hickory, obviously).

However, my best advice would be.. switch to 5B's. ;)

Cheers.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Like many have said a pair a month is very good.
My son was going through 3 sets a week and the cost was insane! He switched to Red Hickory from Los Cabos sticks here in Canada and is down to 1 or sometimes 2 sets a week.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
Well, if you refuse to get heavier sticks, I think you really don't have a lot of options.. Of course 5A's will break instantly, you're just using the wrong tool for the job, my friend.

For what I can tell you, I've been using Vic Firth's maple SD1 General for a while and although they're a lot lighter than hickory 5B's, I actually think they are holding up better.. they don't break and peel off, they just dent as it's a softer wood. Maybe you could try some. (They also sound quite different than hickory, obviously).

However, my best advice would be.. switch to 5B's. ;)

Cheers.
Nah I really can't play with anything much over 5A's.

I am probably going to try jatoba from custom drumsticks.com. It's a lot harder and denser than hickory.
Plus I get all the customization options.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

I am probably going to try jatoba from custom drumsticks.com. It's a lot harder and denser than hickory.
Plus I get all the customization options.
I'd be curious to know how that works out. I've only tried oak, hickory and maple sticks, nothing "exotic." When I've tried oak sticks before I found the playing feel very uncomfortable because they're so dense and rigid. Instead of absorbing shock they just sent it straight up my arms. I can only imagine what an even denser wood would feel like.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I'd be curious to know how that works out. I've only tried oak, hickory and maple sticks, nothing "exotic." When I've tried oak sticks before I found the playing feel very uncomfortable because they're so dense and rigid. Instead of absorbing shock they just sent it straight up my arms. I can only imagine what an even denser wood would feel like.
Hmm I've never had that trouble with pro mark's oak sticks...
Well we'll see how it works out.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, we both know this is a bit of an overstatement, I'm sure you can play with other sticks, lol, but nevermind, that's alright. :)

Quote:
Well.. I own a pair of handmade sticks made of "curupay" which is a very very hard and dense wood which doesn't even dent. I use them only for pad practice, some people use them on their kits, but I don't. It's a lot better to break sticks than cymbals.

Denser woods are also heavier, bear that in mind. Anyway, good luck! Cheers. :)
Old 02-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
Well, we both know this is a bit of an overstatement, I'm sure you can play with other sticks, lol, but nevermind, that's alright. :)

Well.. I own a pair of handmade sticks made of "curupay" which is a very very hard and dense wood which doesn't even dent. I use them only for pad practice, some people use them on their kits, but I don't. It's a lot better to break sticks than cymbals.

Denser woods are also heavier, bear that in mind. Anyway, good luck! Cheers. :)
Yeah obviously I can :p I just meant I don't like to.

And I talked to the owner of Customdrumstix, and he said there was no worry about breaking cymbals. I've also looked a lot online, and users also say that there was no further risk in breaking cymbals.

And yes denser woods are heavier, however I think that a jatoba 5A would be much lighter than a hickory 2B.

Also I have one more question... Does anyone know what an egg tip looks like?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does anyone know what an egg tip looks like?
Like an egg!!! :-)

I got custom sticks made back in the 90's.....from memory he also called them "egg tips". Read oval tips.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Like an egg!!! :-)

I got custom sticks made back in the 90's.....from memory he also called them "egg tips". Read oval tips.
So they're pretty much like oval tips?

Also here's another company I found that has exotic wood drumsticks located in brazil.
http://www.baquetasliverpool.com.br/index.php
They've got purpleheart, jatoba, ivorywood, and abiurana. Might have to check these out too...
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Might have to check these out too...
Yep, oval tips was my take on his definition of "egg tips".

I loved my custom sticks back when I used to play them. I never experiemented with any other wood type though.....they were all hickory, I bought in bulk and used them for several years.

For sure, check 'em out......if you can come up with something that you're happy with, it's a great way to roll. I used to get mine done by a guy in Sydney. He made the whole process a great experience and fully tailored them to my specifications. Sadly, I heard he necked himself a few years ago. Shame....great guy and he made great sticks.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Nah I don't like playing anything heavier than 5A's

Found it, thanks for help.

On the wood hardness charts, oak is lighter than hickory (about the same as maple), however pro mark advertises it as heavier and more durable. These hardness tests are pretty professional, so why does promark advertise oak sticks as heavier?
Pro Mark is using a Japanese oak. It's heavier than American white oak. I like to use the Pro Mark 5B, nylon tip, made from Japanese oak. It's the longest lasting stick I've used. It costs more than hickory, but I like the weight. These sticks give me power when I need it. I haven't broken one yet, but then I'm not as heavy handed as some folks are.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah obviously I can :p I just meant I don't like to.

And I talked to the owner of Customdrumstix, and he said there was no worry about breaking cymbals. I've also looked a lot online, and users also say that there was no further risk in breaking cymbals.

And yes denser woods are heavier, however I think that a jatoba 5A would be much lighter than a hickory 2B.

Also I have one more question... Does anyone know what an egg tip looks like?
;) There you go, it looks like you are a guy who does his homework. :)

If they're safe and give you what you want, go for them! My advice is usually only a sincere attempt to stop impulse purchases and to avoid any harm to fellow drummers, but you're certainly doing things right here. ;)

Happy drumming!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Well you just probably found a janka hardness scale for "normal" red or white oak.

Your question is simple to answer. Oak ain't oak, there are about 500 species existing.

Here is an example: http://oaks.of.the.world.free.fr/liste.htm

Now for the oak sticks that Pro-Mark and Tama do, it's a special one.
It's the so called bamboo-leaf oak which is found in Japan and China and it's way harder (and I bet even heavier) than most of the other oak timbers from the other species.

The very same "shira kashi" oak is also traditionally used for the bokken, which is a wooden katana sword used for training in Japan.

The bamboo leave oak makes the thoughest timber next to the american live oak
and the european holy oak. But the last two ones are very rare and would be way to expensive for drumsticks.

Just look at the janka hardness rating for live oak, and you gonna see that it is way harder than other oaks. (3200 compared to about 1300 for red and white oak).

Oh, and same for maple: Canadian rock maple is way harder than other maples.
I just don't get that rock maple hype for drum shells tho.

Hope that your question was answered.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basswood View Post
Well you just probably found a janka hardness scale for "normal" red or white oak.

Your question is simple to answer. Oak ain't oak, there are about 500 species existing.

Here is an example: http://oaks.of.the.world.free.fr/liste.htm

Now for the oak sticks that Pro-Mark and Tama do, it's a special one.
It's the so called bamboo-leaf oak which is found in Japan and China and it's way harder (and I bet even heavier) than most of the other oak timbers from the other species.

The very same "shira kashi" oak is also traditionally used for the bokken, which is a wooden katana sword used for training in Japan.

The bamboo leave oak makes the thoughest timber next to the american live oak
and the european holy oak. But the last two ones are very rare and would be way to expensive for drumsticks.

Just look at the janka hardness rating for live oak, and you gonna see that it is way harder than other oaks. (3200 compared to about 1300 for red and white oak).

Oh, and same for maple: Canadian rock maple is way harder than other maples.
I just don't get that rock maple hype for drum shells tho.

Hope that your question was answered.
Thank you very much, that explained it.