DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Drum machine in drum kit

I've always been really into cutting-edge modern interpretations of music. While my biggest idols are fom the past, i feel like musically moving forward is always a good idea.
That being said, It seems like these days many drummers are incorporating electronics into their kits
There's a lot of old school drum machines on ebay and i was thinking of snatching one up and using it with my kit for loops and effects. What say you, fellow drummerworlders?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum machine in drum kit

I'd say you're better off getting some basic midi software and learning how to program midi on a computer.

Learning how to program a particular drum machine doesn't always give you insight on how to program the next machine. Learning how to program midi in most software is (relatively speaking) much more similar from one to the next.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the advice! i'll look into something along those lines.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 AM

I've definitely experimented with both hardware and software, and I have to agree that all in all software is pretty much superior for pure playback and programming ease. There are some interesting drum machines out there that I still covet (ala Elektron Machinedrum), but that's mainly for the modulation and sonic capabilities. Not sure I'd want to have to program it on a tiny screen. Things like the 808, 909, etc. are sampled to all hell. Not much use for owning the unit anymore, although you can always get the free version of Rebirth.

I talk about all this in some depth here:

http://morganhendry.wordpress.com/20...stic-drum-set/

I'd highly recommend looking into Ableton Live. I haven't worked with Logic much or Reason much (though I hear good things about both), but I've been totally sold on the speed of workflow and stability/possibilities in a live context of Ableton's software.

Morgan
Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Ableton is the one to be using for live performance. Logic, Cubase, etc is much more designed for static composition - Ableton is written for live use. If you really want to get hardcore, buy Max/MSP and Max4Live, that would be hardcore though. I program in Max/MSP for live work, but very little of that needs DAW integration. I have a friend at University who uses Ableton with Max4Live for controlling music, lighting and 3D video simultaneously using MIDI data from Ableton with Max4Live.