DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 PM

Default Love Me Do: Pete Best, Ringo Starr, Andy White

Beatles "Love Me Do"... same musician's, same time period, different drummers:

Pete Best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1mgIZrlLSE

Ringo Starr:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKBDSPMMiw

Andy White:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCU-JM6sPxU

The history was (to the best of my knowledge), after Best recorded some songs the Beatles' manager was not happy and replaced him with Starr. They recorded this song, and still unhappy, the Beatles hired session drummer Andy White to play for the US release of the single.

I think this is a rare opportunity to compare 3 drummers in a controlled environment. I'm pretty sure none played to a click-track, and each was recorded along with the Beatles without any punch-ins. I'm curious as to your notes about the drummers, but here's mine:

Pete Best had the worst pocket of them, and I can see why they wanted to replace him. His tempo wavered and dragged after certain transitions. When he plays on the offbeats it's pretty jarring.

Starr had much better control over his timing but wasn't consistent in his snare hits. They mixed his bass drum low (on purpose), possibly also due to consistency. A nice improvement though.

White had a deep pocket, played consistently, and was tight with the bass line. It felt very smooth, and he had control over a key dynamic in the song that the others missed on.

Right now I'm about where Pete Best's version is in terms of timing and control and I want to get to Andy White's version level, and these examples really helped paint the contrast of how much better a song can sound with a perfect drum track. I thought it was pretty cool.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Love Me Do: Pete Best, Ringo Starr, Andy White

Back then there was NO click track.I agree with you about Pete Best..his time was all over the place not in a good way.Ringo was replaced on the single verson of the tune by George Martin the Beatles producer.He was not confident In Ringo because he was basicly new to the band but he was familiar with Andy.Ringo plays tamborine on the track.Ringo plays on the album version of the tune and the mix is how Martin wanted it in retrospect.I think The bass part is just fine and Ringo pocket is great as usual.To this day..George Martin has said he regretted replacing Ringo on that track .I personally like Ringo's version ...and think the mix is where the song should be.Part of the genius of the Beatles/Martin combo is knowing what to keep and what to cut.
Steve B
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Just saw this reply...

Thats interesting... I mean I agree Ringo has great time in this recording, especially for just joining the band. His mix has his drums and cymbals pretty far back, not really leading but taking a back seat to the rest of the members. Sounds almost folksy with the clapping / harmonica being so upfront. Andy's mix has him more in the forefront, it sounds more like he's leading and the whole song is a little bit more "rocking" or driving. Listening to them one more time, I'm leaning towards Andy's mix but I think that's just personal taste. Both drummers did a great job here. It's just interesting to be able to compare these drummers in a controlled environment like this.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Back then there was NO click track.I agree with you about Pete Best..his time was all over the place not in a good way.Ringo was replaced on the single verson of the tune by George Martin the Beatles producer.He was not confident In Ringo because he was basicly new to the band but he was familiar with Andy.Ringo plays tamborine on the track.Ringo plays on the album version of the tune and the mix is how Martin wanted it in retrospect.I think The bass part is just fine and Ringo pocket is great as usual.To this day..George Martin has said he regretted replacing Ringo on that track .I personally like Ringo's version ...and think the mix is where the song should be.Part of the genius of the Beatles/Martin combo is knowing what to keep and what to cut.
Steve B
Actually, the album version of this tune (off of Please Please Me) is the one with Andy White. The version with Ringo's drumming is on the album Past Masters Volume 1.

Ed Pierce
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

Yuk, that Pete Best version was horrible. Not so much him, but the vocals sound dog tired and the tempo just drags like it has no energy. Best did try to jazz up the Bridge section with some off beat syncs, but it does sound like his timing is off base. I do like the thought of jazzing that bridge up a bit, though - just not like that. Sometimes Ringo listened too much to the producers/engineers, particularly the early years.