DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Roland TD-9SX good for recording?

Hi. my bands been doing some recording lately, and i was just wondering how this kit would sound in recordings. I've played the kit before, and it sounds pretty impressive, it definately sparked my curiosity. My band plays a very wide variety of music and some of the drum and bass and electric sounding patches would really add a lot to some of my bands recordings. any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Roland TD-9SX good for recording?

I have a TD-9KX (same model but European model number I think) and I have gigged with it, and recorded home demos. I have not recorded in a studio with it.

I do think it's a possibility. I think it depends on what level of recording you are planning to do, what sort of drum room you might use (and how much time you have to get a good drum sound in it) etc. I don't have access to serious studios and top engineers, but

The big advantage of using e-drums is that you will get good basic sounds with minimal setup time (no need for long setup of mic placement etc). A sound engineer friend of mine likes to deaden the sound of live drums to 'control it' and prevent mic spillage when recording, and then 'put the resonance back in' with effects. The tom sound can be a bit lifeless with this approach, so the v-Drums might be an improvement on this. Just plug in, select your kit and play!

The downside is that the drum sounds will be a bit 'generic', i.e. not 'your' snare sound, and a slightly limited dynamic range - i.e. the e-Kits often don't pick up every little nuance of your playing. Depending on you, and the style of music you're playing, this might matter or it might not.

You would likely need to tweak the kits ahead of time to get some good working sounds that you like - e.g. spend a few evenings customising the sets (choose snare sounds, tom and kick sounds, tuning and damping etc). this would save time and effort in the studio.