DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-22-2011, 03:56 AM

Default My Used Iron Cobra Needs Some TLC

Hey Folks,

So I was in the lookout for some double pedals and looked at the same ones mentioned in many threads...you know which ones. :)

Anyway, I came across a used original Iron Cobra (no cobra coil) that was heavily used but needed some TLC. I got a very good price for it IMO since the pedal in general still worked very good, except for some paint chips, some outer rust dust developing on the chains and the slave being a little stiff and of course some dirt build up.

Here are the things I'd like to do to try to resurrect this pedal back to life! I'd appreciate any tips or comments on how to do this properly.

Taking apart Pedal: Basically I've taken off everything I could, springs, bolts, chain etc.
-Should I soak in water overnight to get all the dirt and grime off? Would something like CLR help to mix in with the water?

Slave is a bit stiff: Before taking the pedal apart I noticed the slave had less reaction compared to the main, I tried adjusting the spring and squirting on some lube to no avail.
-What else can I try? Could it be a bad bearing? Lubrication...after cleaning bearings and other parts?

Re-Painting pedal: I probably won't do this right away but I'd like to paint the pedal all black, the paint chips really don't bother me and who's gonna really look at your paint job on your pedal. What is this? PIMP MY DRUM GEAR? :) hahahaha.
-Is there a particular spray paint I should be looking for? Should I sand down the metal first? If so what grade of sand paper?

If there's anything else I should be doing or checking on please let me know, would love to hear about anyone else's experiences in repairing or restoring your pedal.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Tyger; 01-25-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Used Iron Cobra Needs Some TLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Hey Folks,

So I was in the lookout for some double pedals and looked at the same ones mentioned in many threads...you know which ones. :)

Anyway, I came across a used original Iron Cobra (no cobra coil) that was heavily used but needed some TLC. I got a very good price for it IMO since the pedal in general still worked very good, except for some paint chips, some outer rust dust developing on the chains and the slave being a little stiff and of course some dirt build up.

Here are the things I'd like to do to try to resurrect this pedal back to life! I'd appreciate any tips or comments on how to do this properly.

Taking apart Pedal: Basically I've taken off everything I could, bearings, springs, bolts, chain etc.
-Should I soak in water overnight to get all the dirt and grime off? Would something like CLR help to mix in with the water?

Slave is a bit stiff: Before taking the pedal apart I noticed the slave had less reaction compared to the main, I tried adjusting the spring and squirting on some lube to no avail.
-What else can I try? Could it be a bad bearing? Lubrication...after cleaning bearings and other parts?

Re-Painting pedal: I probably won't do this right away but I'd like to paint the pedal all black, the paint chips really don't bother me and who's gonna really look at your paint job on your pedal. What is this? PIMP MY DRUM GEAR? :) hahahaha.
-Is there a particular spray paint I should be looking for? Should I sand down the metal first? If so what grade of sand paper?

If there's anything else I should be doing or checking on please let me know, would love to hear about anyone else's experiences in repairing or restoring your pedal.

Thanks all!
One piece of advice, definitely do not soak the parts in water. That is how rust is formed and you want to prevent that.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 AM

just did a good rub down and used lube to the necessary parts. The slave still is a bit stiff compared to the main and slightly less sensitive even after adjusting spring tension. I'm thinking the bearings need to be changed but it's the older model Iron Cobra...looks like the bearing can't come out, unless someone can tell me how to do it.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Gold Member

clean it with WD-40

wipe the WD-40 off (a MUST!, don't forget to do this)

re-lube EVERY moving part with sewing machine oil.

thats my trick works everytime.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
clean it with WD-40

wipe the WD-40 off (a MUST!, don't forget to do this)

re-lube EVERY moving part with sewing machine oil.

thats my trick works everytime.
will try that, though I do have lube already....what makes sewing machine oil better than using lube in a can?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Gold Member

sewing machine oil cost me $1 and has lasted me a year.... that is all.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

I have 2 IC's ,the oldest version and a later black powder coated plate 90's version,and you can remove the bearings,I have done it.It involves removing the screw cap on the left side and detaching the speedo ring on right.Put the pedal across a couple of 2 by 4's,and kit the left9screw cap side with a rubber mallet,and the should push the cross bar through,exposing the bearings.I have no experience with the double pedal,but it may be that your problem could be the universal joint also,it probably takes more abuse than the bearings.There is a good thread on bearings for an IC also .http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=70006
Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamesuser View Post
I have 2 IC's ,the oldest version and a later black powder coated plate 90's version,and you can remove the bearings,I have done it.It involves removing the screw cap on the left side and detaching the speedo ring on right.Put the pedal across a couple of 2 by 4's,and kit the left9screw cap side with a rubber mallet,and the should push the cross bar through,exposing the bearings.I have no experience with the double pedal,but it may be that your problem could be the universal joint also,it probably takes more abuse than the bearings.There is a good thread on bearings for an IC also .http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=70006
awesome, I'll give it a try tonight, thanks for the tip.

could be the universal joint as you mention as well.