DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Gold Member

Default cheap cymbals - wasting time, wasting money?

i made the mistake of buying a Sabian B8 cymbal pack, almost 300$ canadian, in the end it was (imho) a complete waste of money - they were cheap cymbals that sounded cheap, i could not replace them fast enough, it took 2 months of scrimping, but i got myself some quality hand hammered b20 pies, bought several others later, yes they were expensive - what an incredible sound though!

there are many posts about cymbal packs, cheaper lines, enrty level pies, etc... i just get frustrated, because its hard to convince people to stop, save up and buy some quality cymbals - does anybody else agree? or learned the lesson the hard way, like i did, wasting hundreds of dollars? just wondering...
Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: cheap cymbals - wasting time, wasting money?

I wholeheartedly agree.

I was lucky enough not to have to learn the hard way though. I have a father who is also a drummer. He identified the entry lines as the junk that they are and I was encouraged to always buy quality cymbals.

As for convincing someone to stave off the desire to flush their money down the drain? All you can do is tell 'em mate......whether they listen or not, is not your cross to carry.
As my dad used to say to me whenever he was trying to make a point that I was too young, foolish and know-it-all to heed....." I can take you sailing, but I can't make the wind blow."
Old 01-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

I think I was lucky. I came up in the era where cheap cymbals existed, but you knew what they were and you avoided them! You only had two choices when I was growing up: Zildjian A's or Paiste (the 2002 line was the one they always pushed). And you didn't have alot of people chatting about gear on the internet saying everything's good. I actually had teachers and other players tell me to avoid crap. Which, I think in this politically correct world, no one really says anymore. It's a shame, really.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Ya know, as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't tell a very young, beginning drummer to go all the way to pro pies necessarily. Those B8 sheet cymbals have a purpose - and that is to make passable sound in a beginner environment for a certain amount of time until the student becomes proficient. Then he or she can graduate to a professional grade instrument, just as he or she will with the drums and hardware. Same thing happens with guitars, computers, cars, houses, and most of our other major purchases - first we get what works and what we can afford, and later (if we stick with it) we go professional grade.

I do agree that there's no point jumping from beginner cymbal to beginner cymbal, just as there's no point going from Stagestars to Stage Customs. But we all have to start somewhere.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Ya know, as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't tell a very young, beginning drummer to go all the way to pro pies necessarily. Those B8 sheet cymbals have a purpose - and that is to make passable sound in a beginner environment for a certain amount of time until the student becomes proficient. Then he or she can graduate to a professional grade instrument, just as he or she will with the drums and hardware. Same thing happens with guitars, computers, cars, houses, and most of our other major purchases - first we get what works and what we can afford, and later (if we stick with it) we go professional grade.

I do agree that there's no point jumping from beginner cymbal to beginner cymbal, just as there's no point going from Stagestars to Stage Customs. But we all have to start somewhere.
I don't know....the whole reason you want your own drums and cymbals is so you can at least make a pass at sounding like what attracted you there in the first place.

Drums, as we all know, can be made to sound good. Cymbals, cannot be made to sound good. But when you play drums, at least 65% of your playing will involve your hi-hats and your ride (at least). I'd say skimp on the drums as a beginner, but literally, students might just give up playing altogether if they had to deal everyday with crappy cymbal sounds.

I saw a parent buy an extremely cheap guitar one day about two months ago - his kid no longer plays. The instrument itself has to inspire the kid to play, and if you give him a crappy sounding guitar that won't stay in tune or strings so high off the fretboard that he's in pain, well, I'd give it up too. And that's a bad first impression for any kid to have. I see band kids go through this every year - the parent buys them a cheap horn, but ends up renting a nice Yamaha or something so the kid is not suffering (especially if he's into it).

It is a tough balance, as a parent, you want your kid to play, but you can't really afford it, but if you get him playing on bad instruments, that may just kill any chance of his continuing on with it. If you get him too good an instrument, then you risk having wasted money if he discovers baseball anyway. I just urge parents to get the best they can afford so the kid doesn't dread having to play it. You want him to have fun, right? I say good quality cymbals are a big part of that fun.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Yeah i agree with you too. You cab make entry level drums sound good, but not cymbals.

Entry level cymbals are good for practice kits. Theyre also good if youre noy 100% sure youre going to stick with drums. You dont want to spend 1000 on cymbals, just to find out that drums werent what you thought they would be.

But unless theyre for one of those 2 purposes, i think its better to save up and get some better quality pies.

The thing i dont like is how the companies advertise the entry level cymbals.

"Pro level sound at an entry level price!"
"Cymbals for drummers who want a pro sound, at a good price"
"Great for beginners or pros!"

Obvioulsy, B8's (and all the other entry lines) are not going to sound like pro cymbals. They're entry level cymbals, and the companies shouldn't try to make it look like theyre pro sounding. I think its ridiculous.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:00 AM

I agree that cheap cymbals have their purpose. A parent shelling out $250 for a cheap starter set isn't going to shell out $800 for a good cymbal pack. They are just like a cheap drum. They are there to give you a starting point. A cheap starter pack at least gives someone something to hit.

THAT BEING SAID...as a person progresses they should not reinvest in cheap cymbals. As it has been said many times before you can make cheap drums sound better but you can't make a cheap cymbal sound better.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

QUESTION: Being an Aussie, where being raped senselss for anything drum related is 'par for the course', I have very little idea.......what would US$300 worth of used cymbals buy you on ebay, providing you were shrewd enough?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

I started out on a Sabian B8 pack: 14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride. I played them for a few years, and didn't know any better. When I went cymbal shopping the first time, I didn't know WHAT I was doing--I was overwhelmed and under-prepared. Of course "buy the best you can" is the goal, but if you don't have a background in music or are 12 years old, perhaps B8 cymbals aren't such a bad thing

......wait, what am I saying?!?!?!? They're horrible. Big waste of time and money (not to mention copper, tin, and sound vibrations)

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Im not sure if someone has already said this, because I was too lazy to read all the posts, but from what i've read I think you're all forgetting something. Everyone should learn from personal experience, not just from what they are told by someone else, you've got to buy crappy cheap cymbals to experience what level of quality entry-level is, so that when you play high-end cymbals, you really know what you've got. It's the only real fair option to give someone because without that personal experience, how will they become as experienced as you are?

It's the same with drums, everyone should start on a crappy precussion pro kit or something, so that their equipment suits their level, and as they become better and buy better gear, they keep learning and get a real sense of appreciation for what they have. Don't forget there is alot of knowledge and experience that can come from owning cheap equipment and then upgrading, going from low-end, to mid, to high-end. THAT (imo) is how you become a truely experienced drummer :)
Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
QUESTION: Being an Aussie, where being raped senselss for anything drum related is 'par for the course', I have very little idea.......what would US$300 worth of used cymbals buy you on ebay, providing you were shrewd enough?
dude from waht i've seen on the american ebay, prob 2-3 high-end cymbals + like 100 for postage. but if u were to include the postage in that 300, u might get 2 high end cymbals if you were reallly lucky.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

I agree. In fact I think it is worse to have cheap cymbals than cheap drums. 80 percent of the sound of a drum is in the heads and tuning so you can compensate for a lot with cheap drums. But there is nothing you can do to change the sound of cheap cymbals, aside from muffling them.

I do think the Sabian B8s are good budget cymbals, however. I just started using a bottom 14 hihat for a mini-ride and it sounds very good.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

I think cheap cymbals have their place. Some Sabian B8Pro cymbals sound OK. But I agree with moving on to pro cymbals after a while. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
It is a tough balance, as a parent, you want your kid to play, but you can't really afford it, but if you get him playing on bad instruments, that may just kill any chance of his continuing on with it. If you get him too good an instrument, then you risk having wasted money if he discovers baseball anyway. I just urge parents to get the best they can afford so the kid doesn't dread having to play it. You want him to have fun, right? I say good quality cymbals are a big part of that fun.
i have kids too, my daughter plays piano, we had to find it used, but we got her a very nice Yamaha keyboard, nice to play, great features, she loves it, so ya - if quality instruments are going to help keep kids playing, just good all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I started out on a Sabian B8 pack: 14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride. I played them for a few years, and didn't know any better. When I went cymbal shopping the first time, I didn't know WHAT I was doing--I was overwhelmed and under-prepared. Of course "buy the best you can" is the goal, but if you don't have a background in music or are 12 years old, perhaps B8 cymbals aren't such a bad thing

......wait, what am I saying?!?!?!? They're horrible. Big waste of time and money (not to mention copper, tin, and sound vibrations)
hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I agree. In fact I think it is worse to have cheap cymbals than cheap drums. 80 percent of the sound of a drum is in the heads and tuning so you can compensate for a lot with cheap drums. But there is nothing you can do to change the sound of cheap cymbals, aside from muffling them.
this reason to me is the best reason to buy quality cymbals, there is no "tuning" a cymbal, it is what it is, for better or worse...
Old 01-21-2011, 01:47 AM

What is a real shame is that there does not seem to be a GOOD "student" line like the old Paiste 404 series ...

I still use a 20" 404 ride as the go-to ride on my snare and kick only set, and everyone who plays it is just blown away by it ... I'm guessing the PST5 is supposed to be the cymbal that fills that spot, but I have never played them.

I think I payed maybe $40.00 for this one at a local GC

Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Gold Member

actually, the Paiste pst5's, Sabian Xs20 and Meinl M Series are all nice, maybe not handhammered b20 pies, but consistant and musical at least...
Old 01-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Ya know, as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't tell a very young, beginning drummer to go all the way to pro pies necessarily. Those B8 sheet cymbals have a purpose - and that is to make passable sound in a beginner environment for a certain amount of time until the student becomes proficient. Then he or she can graduate to a professional grade instrument.
The view that beginners somehow need to "graduate" to better sounding or pro cymbals/equipment has always intruiged me. Surley a musician at any level is entitled to best equipment they can get? To me it's almost like saying to someone "until you can cook on a log fire you can't use a gas hob".

Hope you're well,

Kev
Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure if anyone has tried newer Stagg cymbals, but they have a Hand-Made or Hand-Hammered line and most of their crashes are under $150, and most of their rides and hats are under $250. For the price, you're certainly not sacrificing much sound. They really are top quality cymbals for a cheap price.

Just saying...
Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 PM

When the Paiste 802s first came out I bought 2 18" crashes for $80 a piece. They were my first step up from the Sound Vader (made by Paiste) crashes I had which were cracked all over.

My budget was very limited. Oh sure I could have waited for months to save up money but I wanted to play now. Plus I really didn't have much cymbal education under my belt. The Sound Vader cymbals got me into the Paiste brand and I've been happy ever since.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Bottom-line:

Buy Pro, USED cymbals

;)
Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Gold Member

I think budget cymbals have their place, and with a little bit of figuring out what kind of sound you're wanting it's getting easier to put together a good sounding set of cymbals with just a little effort and a whole lot less money.

I also think that overall the level of useful noise coming out of many big companies has improved quite a bit in recent years, and the number of options from lower cost brands like Stagg, Dream, and Wuhan have opened up the sound palette beyond the typical B8 sheet bronze that was so common even 10 years ago.

But I do honestly believe even some of those low end lines like Sabian's B8Pro and Paiste's PST5 are perfectly usable and pretty decent for the price. I've owned several cymbals from both of those lines and when I wanted something bright and transparent they were perfect.

I know the "buy used pro cymbals" mantra is popular around here, but a beginner is just as likely, if not even more so, to buy a cymbal they won't like or doesn't suit their sound doing that as they are buying a beginner-level cymbal. And if they buy used they lose the option of returning it if it isn't what they want, unlike when buying a new cymbal from a dealer.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphfz View Post
It's the same with drums, everyone should start on a crappy precussion pro kit or something, so that their equipment suits their level, and as they become better and buy better gear, they keep learning and get a real sense of appreciation for what they have. Don't forget there is alot of knowledge and experience that can come from owning cheap equipment and then upgrading, going from low-end, to mid, to high-end. THAT (imo) is how you become a truely experienced drummer :)
I don't dispute your points by any measure, but on the flip side: I don't need to have driven a 1983 Toyota Corolla for 10 years in order to be able to appreciate a Ferarri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I know the "buy used pro cymbals" mantra is popular around here, but a beginner is just as likely, if not even more so, to buy a cymbal they won't like or doesn't suit their sound doing that as they are buying a beginner-level cymbal. And if they buy used they lose the option of returning it if it isn't what they want, unlike when buying a new cymbal from a dealer.
Good points......which leads me to question, if you are gonna spunk your hard earned on entry level...why not save a packet and buy them used as well?

With the abundance of the things on ebay, I'm thinking a beginner could kit out his whole rig for a few bucks....beats paying $300 for a pack of junk that will inevitably end up right back on ebay at a tenth of the cost anyway.

I wonder if I should start recommending buying 'used' entry level cymbals as well.

Sorry guys....not adding much, but the Wolf has raised a couple of good points that caused me to think out loud.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I don't dispute your points by any measure, but on the flip side: I don't need to have driven a 1983 Toyota Corolla for 10 years in order to be able to appreciate a Ferarri.
No, but at least you didn't spend $150,000 just to find out you're not that good of a driver...

Quote:
Good points......which leads me to question, if you are gonna spunk your hard earned on entry level...why not save a packet and buy them used as well?
Biggest reason I've got is if you buy that beginner cymbal from Musician's Friend and you don't like it you can send it back and get a refund or credit towards something else. If you buy it used your only option is resell it on eBay yourself.

Granted, the only time I've returned a cymbal it was pro-level, but like I said before if it isn't the sound you wanted or expected, it doesn't matter what series it's from.

Also, I've found the life expectancy of some sheet bronze cymbals to be a little shorter, so buying used can be a little more of a gamble.

Quote:
With the abundance of the things on ebay, I'm thinking a beginner could kit out his whole rig for a few bucks....beats paying $300 for a pack of junk that will inevitably end up right back on ebay at a tenth of the cost anyway. I wonder if I should start recommending buying 'used' entry level cymbals as well.
It isn't advice I'd normally give, but if you like to gamble you could end up with some decent gear for really small money.

The only real drawback I usually see when shopping for used gear in the beginner category (drums and cymbals) is it is often mistreated due to poor technique or general neglect, and/or priced ridiculously high because the seller is expecting to finance the purchase of that awesome mid level kit they want by selling their beat-to-hell beginner gear for the price of the new set.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I do think the Sabian B8s are good budget cymbals, however. I just started using a bottom 14 hihat for a mini-ride and it sounds very good.
I rather like the sound of some B8 stamped hats.. B8 Sabians and ZBTs-yep!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Silver Member

I think beginners have to ease into it. I started with B8 hats and a crash, and a zbt crash/ride, and lots of drummers i know in school had something similar to that. I think my first real nice cymbal was a z custom ride which i still use and love that i got before they were discontinued. Honestly, i fell super lucky that my parents support my musical endeavors, cuz we go cymbal shopping for the holidays, and nw i've got an a custom, z custom, k custom hyrbid hats, a 2002 crash and a cheap wuhan china and splash, and i'm getting a pork pie lil squealer for chistmas. It's nice, i picked it out, used for 125 its a steal and sounds superb. I know i sound a little spoiled haha but i don't have the newest iphone on the most expensive plan like everyone else at school, but i don't complain, cuz i like my cheap t-mobile prepaid phone. And i don't complain, because i know i have better cymbals than them. I even played a battle of the bands at a school sponsored event a year back, and used by cymbals, because i refuse to play the zht's they had there. Most of the drummers were horrendous, but my cymbals stole the show. I was proud that night.

My point is: ya gotta start somewhere, and a few cheap cymbals isn't the worst idea. I do agree with the used semi/pro level cymbals tho, but how can you know how bad the cheap cymbals are w/out playing them first.

Yeah, now on second thought, i shoulda started out with used alpha's or x20's.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

Excellent post. Especially since I myself have gone through the start up (re-start in my case) phase.

IMO, it seems to be related to: 1) Budget 2) Motivation level
Sometimes these 2 take a while to develop.

Well...if I had someone else buying my gear (at the beginning stage), I would research and try to get the "Best gear" my nice parents would buy. Now that could be expensive. I'm sure they would give me a counter offer which would determine "Good used" or "so-so brand new" equipment. You need Knowledge and patience for "Good used" equipment.

As a returning newbie, I lacked the knowledge AND patience. But I felt (not certain) that it would be interesting to return after 25 years. I went with a suggested PDP FS Birch (GC guy enthusiastically says: "It's made by DW dude!"). Came with a ZBT set. I was pretty motivated, but not quite yet sure.

A year later I picked up a 6 piece DW Collectors set and A Customs, A series, Mastersounds, New Beats. I got everything at about 40% off. But that took knowledge, patience and motivation. I sold all the ZBT’s to help pay for the A Customs. That was my only regret because earlier this year I cracked a 20” A Custom crash during practice.

Lesson here: Keep the ugly pies for practice. They serve well later. I ended up getting some used B8’s, older Zildjian crashes and some Staggs (which were dark, but nice BTW).

As said in an earlier post, beginners should ease into it, until they’re ready to commit. Great deals on Craigslist for used drum equipment parents are selling that their kids no longer use.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think I could do pretty well on ebay,classified or craigslist for 300 US.A few years ago I passed by a yard sale and noticed a set of drums.in a very large cardboard box.Sound Percussion,made in China firewood.but at the bottom of the box,under a couple of Zildjian Amir's was some A Zildjian 14" newbeat hats,16,18 thin crashs,and a 20" ride...new,still in the plastic.Not a stick mark.Some vintage Ludwig 1400 seies stands and a buck rogers snare stand for 50 US.Oh yeah the drums 5 piece.

Right now on Ebay if you're savy,you can probably pick up a 20" ride 1 or 2 chashes,and 13 or 14" hats for about that 300 price point.20" A Zils,or AA Sabian rides go for under 100 everyday,as well as hats for under 100,and crashes in the 15 to 18" range going for sometimes 50,especially now.People need money for the holidays.

So yard sales probably give you most bang for the buck,and craigslist;the most entertainment,because there are way too many nut jobs out there.

Steve B
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
The view that beginners somehow need to "graduate" to better sounding or pro cymbals/equipment has always intruiged me. Surley a musician at any level is entitled to best equipment they can get? To me it's almost like saying to someone "until you can cook on a log fire you can't use a gas hob".

Hope you're well,

Kev
Maybe, but how many high school kids do you see playing 5000.00 saxophones or even 2000.00 saxophones. Kids can't afford them and neither can the parents.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Maybe, but how many high school kids do you see playing 5000.00 saxophones or even 2000.00 saxophones. Kids can't afford them and neither can the parents.
I agree with you on this point, most certainly.

On the other hand, drums aren't single instruments like Saxophones or French Horns. They are much more adaptable and you can afford to compromise in some areas whilst prioritising others. I don't believe that you should compromise on cymbals and the prices of second-hand 'professional' models are similar to the prices of new 'beginner' ranges so the price difference isn't as vast as that between a Selmer Mark VI and a low-end Jupiter - in keeping with the Saxophone analogy.

Cheaper drums can be great. Second-hand drums aren't much more expensive. In my view, if there is only a minor price difference between a good mid-level set second hand and a low-end set new then you should get the better quality item. If the price difference is more significant to you (as a percentage of income or circumstance) then compromise on the drums and get better cymbals.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 AM

You don't always have to buy new. You just have to buy smart. Learn what to look for and you can easily find decent cymbals. K and A Zildjian, or even AAX and HH Sabian for a decent price on ebay and craigslist. It's worth the look. I own a nice set of A's and K's just by bidding on online auction sites like ebay. and each set only set me back around $300-$350 each.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:29 AM

I learned this lesson the hard way. My first cymbals were the zildjian ZBT rock pack, which i got because they were a cheap. sounded horrible & didn't appeal to me. I then upgrade to Sabian XS20, which i did because they improved the sound & were also cheap. Great! but they didn't sound like pro cymbals or had the thing i was looking for in a hi hat, crashes, and ride.

Finally, i decided to start over & pick cymbals based on sound and not price. I upgrade everything from hi hats down to my ride cymbal. I just love the sound i have now. Looking to the past, i wasted close to a thousand on thing that really didn't appeal to me. Did i mention I'm not rich...
Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

i learned this the hard way but not as hard as some of you. i know i'll catch hell for this but here goes...

i bought the entire set of zildjian pitch blacks, big mistake there. on the good side i only payed $250 for 7 cymbals and the hats, i ended up selling them to some kid who "just had to have them, their exactly what he's been looking for" for $700 which completely funded my hhx raw bell dry ride and hhx groove hats and 18" hhx ozone crash brand new.

i guess my lesson from this was no matter how dumb i was somebody will come along that is just as dumb and completely unwilling to listen and give me my money back plus some.....
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

There are good sounding cheap cymbals out there. The XS20's...some of them sound pro to me. Heard one yesterday at Best Buy, and it sounded like an A custom to me. I never heard a Sabian B8 that I liked though. I use an XS20 as my bottom hat on my gig kit.

I always tell people, not beginners, to buy new and utilize the exchange policy until they find exactly the right hi hat, ride, and crash. Buying used cymbals is a gamble. You have no clue as to how the thing was cared for and played. Watching those ultra slo mo vids of cymbals being struck and resembling an ocean wave...If I'm going to part with cash, I don't want to wonder about it's past. Drums are a different story.

That said, at this exact moment I am waiting for the Fed Ex guy to deliver me my first set of used bronze lol. These will be my first set of used cymbals, as I just got my first set of used drums. (from the same guy) I am buying them on faith, the guy who sold me the drums, who is a more than a legitimate person, (cool thread about this coming in 2012) who is leaving drumming and giving great deals on his own personal gear, sold me his prized set of Masterworks hand hammered Turkish cymbals..(anybody heard of these?) He was gushing over these, using words like, jaw dropping... He said they sound just like the prized old K's. Got 2 hats, a crash and a ride for 600.00. Judging from the drums I already received,, (cherry vintage 1966 Luds) I felt that this gamble will pay off bigtime. I will keep you guys posted.

As an aside, I asked the guy to play the cymbals over the phone for me before buying. Yea, that doesn't work. The frequencies that cymbals make...I guess the FO network can't replicate frequencies in that range. No matter where he held the phone, close, far, it sounded like aliens lol.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 PM

For me i really can't afford to buy the top end cymbals and i do not use e-bay so i resort to buying the cymbals that are around the 100 mark. i would say they are not the best sounding and having a mis-match is not that desirable but
actually going in to a music shop and hitting a few is the best way on finding a good cheap cymbal. i have bought off the internet and used reviews to guess what sound the cymbal has and it never sounds how you want.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:06 PM

You should always start out with entry level gear when it comes to something as advanced as learning an instrument.I dont buy that a beginner will be discouraged and quit because of an entry level instrument.These are different times.If anyone has gone out and picked up a 300 dollar guitar lately,it has all the quality of the mid range guitars your dad had available.Also,for tiny bit more you get into quality unmatched ever for the price.For 300 bucks you can get a classic vibe tele or strat,brand new.For 330 right now you can get an Epiphone les paul standard.These are two examples of how amazing quality has become on entry level gear.They are no longer disposable.Seasoned pros are buying them simply because they can no longer deny the value.
If a child walks away from an instrument,it is because thats what kids do.They see someone who is good at something and want to do it too,even if it doesnt really suit them at all.Great part about it is,now mom or dad gets to keep his classic vibe for themselves.We cant deny our kids the opportunity to expand themselves,but you cant order a new DW kit and surround it with top of the line Sabians and cross your fingers either.By the time they realize they dont really like drums,they have cracked four cymbals and scratched every shell to the point of no return.To me that is a much larger waste of money.
Bottom line is,you wouldnt buy a race car the day you sign up for driving lessons,and if someone gives you a race car the day you sign up for lessons,they should have their head examined.