DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Default tension relation between batter and reso?

i have been trying to tune my new evans ec2 coated.. on toms.

i am using the same factory tama reso heads. i got with my swingstars

i red a loads of articles right from dr.sound's guides to the dave wreckl vids.

all i couldnt understand is..

the tension relation between the batter and reso.

i understood that i sould first get both the heads to the lowest pitch.. then tune both the heads to the pitch i want the tom to be at.

at this point since both the heads have same freq. they will give maxx. resonance.

but i want a sound with minimum resonance and very short duration.

so what sould by the relation between my batter and resonant. which one whould be tighter.. or lower than other.. also.. perticularly.. TIGHTER OR LOWER.

also.. since i am newbie.. point out the mistake.. if i am wrong sumwhere. in whatever i understood..

thx
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Default Re: tension relation between batter and reso?

I think tuning batter and reso differently makes a subtle difference to the resonance, and if you tune them differently you usually want the reso lower as the vibrations of it decay a little later than the batter and it usually sounds better to have a lower pitch sustain at the end (but that might be a matter of taste).

But it sounds like you're after a 'thud thud' attack and no ring. I think you'll have to go with Moongels or dampening rings. I would try tuning heads together for best resonance and then experiment with dampening with Moongel.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I like my reso higher, a full octave higher to be exact, so there are no hard and fast rules, except that you have to put the hours in to try and uncover YOUR preferred sound.
Tuning for minimum resonance...goes counter to what most try to accomplish, but that's OK. I think you should tune for the best tone, then dampen to reduce resonance.
If I kept my batter the same and worked only the reso, I could get a sound anywhere from boingy or basketball-ey to that nice "DOOM" sound and everything in between. It depends on your preferences.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I like my reso higher, a full octave higher to be exact, so there are no hard and fast rules, except that you have to put the hours in to try and uncover YOUR preferred sound.
Tuning for minimum resonance...goes counter to what most try to accomplish, but that's OK. I think you should tune for the best tone, then dampen to reduce resonance.
If I kept my batter the same and worked only the reso, I could get a sound anywhere from boingy or basketball-ey to that nice "DOOM" sound and everything in between. It depends on your preferences.
Really?? An octave higher? I've stuck with 3rd or 4ths (at the most), but never an entire octave. I'm going to have to give that a shot.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM

how did u guys determine by how much your one head is higher/lower than the other?

like... a octave high.. n all?

how do u determine that?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I put the drum on a rug to dampen the "bottom" head, put my fingertip on the exact center of the "top" head and tap 1 inch from a tension rod. The resulting harmonic is the note I use. First I get the batter singing all the same harmonics at each tension rod to get the head in tune with itself. I then flip the drum around and repeat, adjusting the tension so that the harmonic on the reso sounds like an octave compared to the harmonic of the batter, at each tension rod
Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 PM

In my experience the best way to get minimum resonance is to tune the reso a little bit lower than the batter skin until the reso reaches what i call a dead note(ive found them to usually be the minor notes), where there is very little resonance coming from the head. then flip it over, hit it and see how it sounds. if that fails, grab a small piece of paper (5x5cm), fold it twice, so it's in a folded square and tape it with sticky tape/duct tape to the centre of your reso head; this should be used as a last resort though.

hope it helps :)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

I did a little experiment yesterday while replacing the batter on my Ludwig hammered bronze supra. I kept the snare side head as is with the snare tension as it usually is. Then I sang into the drum until I found the fundamental pitch of the head's tuning (the snares vibrate like crazy). Then I slowly raised the pitch of my voice until the snares buzzed again (although not with the same intensity as the fundamental) and it turned out to be a perfect fifth higher.

So after the new batter was seated and cranked up a bit, I backed the tension off of it to where it was a fourth lower than the snare side. Sure enough it sounded very full and had great sensitivity and response at every dynamic played. Had I tuned the batter to the fundamental I mentioned, it would have been like playing on a Formica table top.

So the interval relationship between snare side and batter is very important to getting the drum to sound its best.

Oh ya, it was Remo Ambassador coated and Ambassador clear snare side heads.