DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Chris "Daddy" Dave

Hi everyone, and Bernard!! Would it be time to have a page on the great and versatile Chris Dave?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Chris "Daddy" Dave

It most definately would! Way overdue! Listening to Maxwell's new album as we speak... The fill on 'Stop the World' @ 2:47 just makes me smile! it's so fresh to hear.

While i'm on here - i'd love it if drummers would befriend me @ myspace.com/chrisbootdrums
Old 12-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

3rd. Get Chris on the site. Also Damien Schmitt who plays with Jean Luc Ponty and Zap mama.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Yes we need him on the site. He is a very talented musician
Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Without a doubt. Chris Dave is killer. I have never heard such rim-click finesse. His ability to warp rhythms with metric modulation is up there wit them best of them too.

I think it's about time Dave King gets a page as well as Tony Allen (couple of my favs there).
Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 PM

I see someone got the cover of Modern Drummer! Even better, there is a great shot of him wearing this T-Shirt that says, "I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

It is a great article. I really like that he is deep into music history.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Met Chris Dave @ Ronnie Scott's this week. Sat so close I could've touched his cymbal stand. Truly enlightening.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

The interview in MD was incredible and eye-opening. How many drummers think or operate like this guy nowadays? Probably less than a handful, and likely only one!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 AM

He is a ripper for sure. I saw him play with Kenny Garret when he was a tiny kid. Everyone was wondering who the heck he was. ! Blowing minds.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Does anyone know who Chris studied with? Im really interested to know more about his background..
Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrosset View Post
Does anyone know who Chris studied with? Im really interested to know more about his background..
From the MD issue I have

MD: Who were your influences in terms of developing your technique?

Chris: My first teacher was albums. I started playing with albums when I got my first drumset at the age of five or six. I did that for years. Then I had a middle school teacher, Craig Green in Houston, who was really important in terms of learning technique. He was a mentor and the first person who I saw playing that made me go "Wow!" every day.

I studied with Craig at one school for a year, and when he transferred across town because of the magnet school program, I transferred to that next school just so I could keep studying with him. He was real thorough and made sure we understood the importance of rudiments, sight-reading, four-way coordination, different time signatures, and everything like that.

Through Craig, I met Sebastian Whittaker. Sebastian is one of those guys who never really got the shine he deserves, but everybody who goes through Houston knows who he is. To this day, Sebastian is that dude where if you're on a gig and he walks in, you automatically get a little nervous to play in front of him. He's a guy who could play anything. You can take any rudiment in the book, and he will play it backwards, forward, and with all kinds of variations. He'll take any rudiment and will go from playing it real slow, where it almost sounds like he can't play, to super-fast, and he'll go from a whisper to a roar and back down to a whisper without losing any speed. And he did that using the over-size marching-corps drumsticks. He could go through different drummers and solos, especially stuff from Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, and Philly Joe. He could emulate any legendary drummer's style.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 AM

"Does anyone know who Chris studied with? Im really interested to know more about his background.. "

I really don't have an idea about that person but maybe you can google him.

-----------------
Day Planners For You

Last edited by martyseilh; 01-24-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

A lot of people on this forum dont like his playing and find it too this or too that, and thats ok.

But for me just the fact that guys like him, Mark Guiliana, Thomas Pridgeon are taking this drumset into a new and unexplored space which is fresh. The BMX of drumming..
May the Lord save us from drummers that go unnoticed, like ships in the night. Easy listening be dammed. Give me stuff I can love or hate.

The interview was MDfeb 2010 issue.

Last edited by aydee; 01-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
KARL MEMBER

Finally!

Who`s your daddy? Well, he is such a fresh voice. Responding to the call of the ancestors with a contemporary 'Sure'.

Thank you for adding him to the list Bernhard!

PS: JoJo is listening to him on the far left in the 105 Rivington video...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

A lot of people on this forum dont like his playing and find it too this or too that, and thats ok.

But for me just the fact that guys like him, Mark Guiliana, Thomas Pridgeon are taking this drumset into a new and unexplored space which is fresh. The BMX of drumming..
May the Lord save us from drummers that go unnoticed, like ships in the night. Easy listening be dammed. Give me stuff I can love or hate.

The interview was MDfeb 2010 issue.

I'm not sure I see Pridgen as that innovative. Yes, he's fantastically talented, has mad chops, and plays incredibly well, but he reminds me of Tony Royster: a ton of talent that's not really doing anything that terribly fantastic. Guiliana and Dave at least demonstrate, in somewhat clear, basic ways, how their playing makes you question the function of the drum kit. Pridgen's playing doesn't do that for me in the same way that Dave's does.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
I'm not sure I see Pridgen as that innovative. Yes, he's fantastically talented, has mad chops, and plays incredibly well, but he reminds me of Tony Royster: a ton of talent that's not really doing anything that terribly fantastic. Guiliana and Dave at least demonstrate, in somewhat clear, basic ways, how their playing makes you question the function of the drum kit. Pridgen's playing doesn't do that for me in the same way that Dave's does.
Actually, I agree.

Dave & Guiliana are in a different class from Thomas. A lot more innovative. Im not a huge Mars Volta fan, but I like Thomas' sheer joy of playing and the fact that he takes huge risks all the time
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually, I agree.

Dave & Guiliana are in a different class from Thomas. A lot more innovative. Im not a huge Mars Volta fan, but I like Thomas' sheer joy of playing and the fact that he takes huge risks all the time
Yes, Pridgen's energy is amazing: you can feel the fury he puts into his kit, especially on Mars Volta gigs (though I can't stand Mars Volta at all). But I agree with you: I just feel, from a basic witness level, that you can sense how Dave and Guiliana are "messing" with the drums, kind of like Jojo in some Nerve stuff. I find that kind of playing a lot more interesting than someone simply buzz-sawing on the drums with chops. For example, I love listening to Budgie's tom rhythms with Siouxsie & The Banshees and The Creatures--far more creative and musical to my ears than any of that mad chops or gospel chops kind of playing. Are the chops players (e.g., Pridgen, Royster, Aaron Spears, Cora Coleman-Dunham, etc.) more technically talented than Budgie? Probably so. But measure the comparison by musicality, and Budgie (and players like him) can easily hold his own!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
-far more creative and musical to my ears than any of that mad chops or gospel chops kind of playing!
Yup, I think Chris Coleman, Aaron Spears, all the Gospel chop champs are astounding players who leave me ice cold, whereas I'm riveted by the way Chris Dave are Mark G are expressive themselves to the music.

Incidentally, I was listening to Worried Life Blues, a Robben Ford tune played by one of my favorite guitar players, Michael Landau and Vinnie. Its a straight up 12 bar blues, but if you listen to Vinnie on that track, he is going places no other drummer would dare to go on a tune like that. All the groove/chop debaters would say 'hey! you cant play THAT over THAT!" But he does. And makes it work, without overpowering the song for even one bar!

That tune to me is a great lesson in what do do with your insane chops if you do happen to have em.

Great lesson.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yup, I think Chris Coleman, Aaron Spears, all the Gospel chop champs are astounding players who leave me ice cold, whereas I'm riveted by the way Chris Dave are Mark G are expressive themselves to the music.

Incidentally, I was listening to Worried Life Blues, a Robben Ford tune played by one of my favorite guitar players, Michael Landau and Vinnie. Its a straight up 12 bar blues, but if you listen to Vinnie on that track, he is going places no other drummer would dare to go on a tune like that. All the groove/chop debaters would say 'hey! you cant play THAT over THAT!" But he does. And makes it work, without overpowering the song for even one bar!

That tune to me is a great lesson in what do do with your insane chops if you do happen to have em.

Great lesson.

Yeah--I've listened to Vinnie playing on some of Andy Summers's (The Police) solo fusion stuff (e.g., Earth + Sky) and it's great: complex, but still tastefully groovy--the kind of playing the compliments the music and still makes you, as a drummer, want to pick up the sticks and hit your own kit.

I liked your "ice cold" phrase: that's how I feel when I watch "chops drummers": I'm impressed, but so tired of the power fills on the kit.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Meh, I think Chris Coleman has a lot going for him. If you watch his solo's, you can see musical ideas, while Pridgen is threading in the old ghospel-chops paths.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethfoxwilliams View Post
Hi everyone, and Bernard!! Would it be time to have a page on the great and versatile Chris Dave?
He is really a great player and MORE than worthy of a page here on drummer world. He is an inspiration and truly phenomenal talent.

I think you need to get Travis Orbin a page this is a guy on another planet!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 AM

So glad he's finally got a page on here. Thin on content right now, but nonetheless it's well overdue. Everything I've heard him play he's absolutely destructive. And clearly I mean that in a positive light.

I've been trying to find out what track(s) he's playing on on Mary J. Blige's album "Mary." Anybody know???