DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 PM

Default Luke Flowers

Hi gang, how are we all?

A friend posted me a link on facebook last week of a song called "Flite" by an English band called ' The Cinematic Orchestra": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t7mqUN6NU8

I was enjoying the track anyway but when the groove at 1:36 broke in I was floored! I've never heard another drummer who can make 7/8 sound so comfortable and grooving...it's uncanny.

Anyway, I searched but found no thread for this extrordinary player so here it is. Any info welcomed, I can't wait to discover more of Luke's playing!

Hope everyone is well,

Kev
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Luke Flowers

I have to say he's one of my favourite drummers... he's a very talented man indeed. He did a clinic at my sixth form college when I was there a few years ago. There are a couple of videos of him soloing on youtube for a Soultone cymbal promo, which are great. He's an excellent jazz player as well, he played a couple of Herbie Hancock tunes at the clinic. What I like about his playing is his ability to put raw emotion into everything he plays, he reminds me a lot of Elvin in that sense. I highly recommend buying all the Cinematic Orchestra albums, I'm always listening to them. One piece of playing I particular like from him is "All Things to All Men". The beat at the end is brilliant, it's a semi-linear groove, that has really sparse cymbal beats and is based around ghost notes on the snare. It's something I'm working on at the moment. The grooves is in triplets based around a double paradiddle RlRllr LrlrlR (as I interpret it), where all the Rs are cymbal bells (played with bass drum) and the ls and rs are ghosted strokes on the snare, the L being the accented backbeat. To get the ghosts perfectly even and flowing is trickier than it seems.

Variations I'm working on are:
RllRlR LrlrlR
RlRllR LrlrlR (which he plays occassionally)
RlRllR LrlRlR

etc etc The thing that's great about it is playing around with the amount of cymbal you play in the bar, from very little to a lot.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Just found this gem of his playing. About half way though he comes up with an absolute killer groove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLRVc8EpJY

The drum sound, esp the raw sound of his hats ... wow!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM

There is a thread in the "General Discussion"-Forum. I posted a transcription of Child Song there (but in retrospect, I don't think it's really good :D).

Anyway, I love Luke Flowers. His playing is so tasteful and he's got one hell of a groove. I recommend the latest Cinematic Orchestra release "Entr'acte". Wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna
Just found this gem of his playing. About half way though he comes up with an absolute killer groove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iLRVc8EpJY

The drum sound, esp the raw sound of his hats ... wow!!
If I'm not thinking wrong, that's not Luke Flowers. On the first album "Motion" they had Daniel Howard as a drummer. Luke Flowers only joined the band for the second album "Every Day".
Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huXler View Post
If I'm not thinking wrong, that's not Luke Flowers. On the first album "Motion" they had Daniel Howard as a drummer. Luke Flowers only joined the band for the second album "Every Day".
Thanks for the correction. Whomever it is, it's a fantastic groove.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 AM

Luke Flowers & Pat Garvey Drum Clinic

Sallis Benney Theatre - Brighton - May 30th

Tickets at: www.tikidrums.com

Follow: www.facebook.com/zendrumsclinic
Old 04-28-2012, 04:42 PM

I'm "reviving" this thread, because I'm trying to figure out correctly a groove that Luke Flowers plays on As The Stars Fall.

This is the audio clip. I got it from the live CD I bought after the concert in London at the Roundhouse a few years ago (amazing).

http://notflickr.com/as_the_stars_fall_clip.mov

Video (of another concert) is here. If it doesn't load automatically at the right point, just go to 1 minute 51 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwk-a-CT60#t1m51s

Can anyone help me with the main groove (not the accent variations, etc)?

Thanks in advance! :-)