DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Head Questions with no end...

Default Head fo Superphonic?

What do you think of an Emporer X on a chrome over brass 61/2 by 14 Ludwig superphonic? If not do you have any ideas for this drum?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Head fo Superphonic?

I haven't got the COB, but I have both an LM402 and LM400 supra's and a Black Beauty....my head of choice for all of 'em is a tried and tested coated Emp.

I have only one drum that I've been happy with an Emp X on and that is an older 80's model maple free floater......for some reason that drum has always been a bitch to tune and the only way I've been able to get rid of the horrific overtones (other than muffling the bejesus out of it), is by slapping an Emp X on it. Strangely enough, I recently bought a newer model maple FF and this one sings with a standard Emp. Other than this one example, I find it very heavy and unworkable on most of my drums that I've tried it on. Not a bad head by any measure, just not suited for everything, I've found.

FWIW, (apols for the shameless plug on someone else thread), but the 80's model is for sale if anyone in Melb is interested.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Head for Superphonic?

I like simple heads on a Supra best, either a basic coated one-ply or two-ply. I'm using an Aquarian Modern Vintage medium on my Supersensitive right now, but I just had a coated Ambassador on it and it sounded good too.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I like simple heads on a Supra best, either a basic coated one-ply or two-ply. I'm using an Aquarian Modern Vintage medium on my Supersensitive right now, but I just had a coated Ambassador on it and it sounded good too.
I'd used coated ambassador for a lon time but then i bougth a coated emperor and I will never go back to the ambassador. it has much more tone , body and feels better. I've tried the emperror x and is much more drier , lots of crack, shorter sustain, and less tone. rigth now I'd like to try a black suede emperor, it seem warmer than the coated emperor.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM

+1 Coated Ambassador!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENRICO View Post
I'd used coated ambassador for a lon time but then i bougth a coated emperor and I will never go back to the ambassador. it has much more tone , body and feels better. I've tried the emperror x and is much more drier , lots of crack, shorter sustain, and less tone. rigth now I'd like to try a black suede emperor, it seem warmer than the coated emperor.
I really liked the single ply medium weight Ludwig head that came with the snare. Great coating and everything. Almost everybody praises the Emperor on the 402. I hadn't figured out what I didn't like about it. I tried to warm up to it but I still can't. You summed up exactly why I don't like it. Ludwig medium or Aquarian tc should be my next head.
The emp x is one thick, dead head. If you don't like it, you'll know one extreme and it should help you find your sound.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Silver Member

Agreed. I loved the Ludwig head that shipped with the snare out of the factory. Next change to my BB, I'm putting one back on there. Thanks for reminding me. Joey
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I haven't got the COB, but I have both an LM402 and LM400 supra's and a Black Beauty....my head of choice for all of 'em is a tried and tested coated Emp.
I've found this to be the case on my Supra too. I have the LM400. 2 ply heads just seem to work best on this snare. In my case, I use the Aquarian Response 2.

I just recently tried the Modern Vintage head on but didn't like it. It seemed to ring a bit too muich. I think I just had the Response 2 sound in my head and prefer that. When I get the 402, I may try the Modern Vintage head on that one.