DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 AM

Default Coated resonant snare head...

...What would it sound like? Just a thought.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Coated resonant snare head...

You mean a snare-side head with coating, or using a standard-weight coated head on the bottom of a snare?

There are a couple kinds of snare heads that are coated, such as the Remo Renaissance snare side, and the Evans Concert snare side.

They aren't as bright and open-sounding as a standard clear or hazy snare side head, and they seem to bring a little more of a dry sizzle to the overall snare response. I've used both in the past and if you're looking for a slightly darker sound they're ideal.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

Just yesterday I asked myself the same question (isn't that really weird?) while I was in one of those '5-hours of sleep last night and near the end of a long day' states of mind. It sounds like it wouldn't work if youre talking about a full thick coating, a thin coating or 'etched' texture might work. Talking about a thick coating, if it was a Remo head, the coating would come off real fast, and it would probably sound choked and muted no matter what head, though the Aquarian coatings are really smooth. Maybe if the coating was everywhere but where the snares rested, you could possibly get a new sound, but I don't know. Probably not worth it. What makes you ask?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

there's alsa the remo black suede snare side, although is not actually coated , it's a texturized head, it has the same effect
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks for all this feedback folks. The reason for asking is that I'm a jazz drummer and a massive fan of the vintage look, therefor I do my level best to avoid clear heads. I just hate the look. So I was seeing if there was any way I could use an opaque head on the snare side. How about a Fiberskyn? (Actually what I use on all my batter sides).
Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwcl View Post
How about a Fiberskyn? (Actually what I use on all my batter sides).
I've not tried it.....and I'm unlikely to ever do so. I'd imagine it would be way too thick to promte any form of sensitivity from the snare wires (ghost notes are used frequently in jazz, sensitivity is certainly preferable)......of course, if you're specifically after that 'cardboard box' sound, then.....

Snare side heads are designed extra thin for a reason. Play around all you want. Experimenting with your drums is a great way of figuring out what they're capable of......just don't be surprised if you get sounds you're not happy with if you go too thick on the snare side head.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

the thicker the head , the less sentive. that's why companyes make hazy heads up to 5m, a thicker would have no sensitivity , but who knows , may be an fiberskin diplomat (7m) could work. if you have some extra money you can experiment
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Administrator

I use a hazy 300, and will yet try a 200. I can't imagine a 7 mil head on the share side. I'm sure it will give some sort of effect but I like my snares as crisp as possible. Put some duct tape running the length of the snares under them and save some money. Maybe some masking tape.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

I've done it with a coated ambassador about a year ago. It wasn't bad, but it didn't have the same feel and was a little too dry. It just felt like the coating was keeping the snare wires from naturally doing their thing. They sounded a little choked and rigid. You may be able to get away with a smooth white ambassador, although even then it's not a snare side head. I have also tried a clear ambassador on the snare side, it wasn't too bad either. However I did sacrifice a small amount of articulation and sensitivity. The thickness of that head just kind of muddied things a bit. Not so much that you couldn't adjust and become accustomed to it, but ultimately, I'd say stick with a snare side head. But then again it's your kit, do your thing man.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwcl View Post
Thanks for all this feedback folks. The reason for asking is that I'm a jazz drummer and a massive fan of the vintage look, therefor I do my level best to avoid clear heads. I just hate the look. So I was seeing if there was any way I could use an opaque head on the snare side. How about a Fiberskyn? (Actually what I use on all my batter sides).
Both the Remo Renaissance snare and Evans Orchestral snare are opaque.