DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Default Gibraltar hihat stand

I'm looking at a Gibraltar 9607ML-DP hi hat stand. Is there any good/ bad experience with this out there?

Any others in that pricerange I should check out?

Thanks for any input.

//Jörgen
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gibraltar hihat stand

I don't know the model I played but I did play a Gibraltar hi hat as part of a house jazz set at a club a few times.

Much nicer than I thought it would be. Very smooth.

I wasn't expecting that kind of performance. I thought it would just be 'OK' but it was much better.

I've had good luck with all of the Gibraltar accessories that I've purchased so I guess the hi hat just confirmed their commitment to quality.

HTH

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 PM

Now I got it! Feels good so far...

//Jörgen
Old 01-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Don't have the direct pull version, I have the liquid drive with 2 legs.

Regardless, the quality of those 9600 series stands is superb. You shouldn't have any problems with it, and it'll last years.

The cymbal and snare stands are also excellent. On par with ANY companies high end stuff, and better than some.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have never bought anything from Gibraltar that wasn't top notch.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I have never bought anything from Gibraltar that wasn't top notch.
Same here...I use nothing but Gibraltar Hardware. All their series are excellent, but the 9600 series specifically is superb. I used to have a 9600 no leg direct pull HH stand...it was great. When I downsized and got rid of my rack, I gave the no leg stand to my church to use with their roland set with rack and I got the 9600 liquid drive dual leg hh. The new 9600 liquid drive is the most responsive pedal I have ever played! I cant say enough about Gibraltar Hardware
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 PM

I am curios about the difference between direct and liquid. Had a look at the Gibraltar site but didn't find any info.

How do they work?

//Jörgen
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
I am curios about the difference between direct and liquid. Had a look at the Gibraltar site but didn't find any info.

How do they work?

//Jörgen
I currently own the liquid drive and I used to own the direct pull. Both are awesome but the liquid drive is ridiculously smooth...From what I understand direct pull works via a universal joint similar to that on the linkage of a double pedal. There is no chain as the pedal is connected directly to the HH rod with the "U" joint. This provides a smooth direct pull similar to a double bass pedal with "direct drive" as opposed to "chain drive." Liquid drive, from what I can understand, utilizes a cam and shaft that goes all the way down to the pedal board, the pedal is linked to this shaft with some sort of chain cam drive. The cam floats around this shaft for fluid movement. This shaft keeps the pedals vertical movement directly in line with the stand and provides for the same resistance on both the up and down strokes. The first pic shows the liquid drive and the second shows direct pull.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Thanks for explaining. That fluid drive sure looks interesting. They didn't have it at my vendor and I just couldn't wait. :)

And my direct pull sure feels fine too.

//Jörgen
Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, both versions are great. The LD feels exactly the same through the stroke.
Too bad it's so dang heavy!!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 AM

Late coming to this thread, but I feel it's one worth posting on. I actually just decided to pull the trigger on this 9600 hi hat stand (Liquid Drive version). I'm doing it sight-unseen... because of my recent experience with other Gibraltar products, namely their 3-mount space platform stands and other accessories.

They simply make a quality product and this one appears to be no different. I'll update this post after I get it and play around with it for awhile.

And yes, Gibraltar's products weigh a ton. But that's their beauty. For example, the platform stand I bought (got three of them actually - yes I should have gone the route of a rack, but I'm in too deep now LOL) actually replaces THREE regular stands. So in the end, it's an overall reduction in weight. Of course, this hi-hat stand probably will be heavier than what it's replacing (a Tama lever glide that's about 15 years old), but more stable and solid I'm sure.

And if you have a particularly heavy set of cymbals, or other percussion instruments or drums that you want to mount, Gibraltar is the only way to go. No other brand has as beefy a structure.

Getting back to the hi-hat stand... as for the price... compared to the comparable Tama product (Iron Cobra) at $225, it's a no-brainer at nearly 100 bucks cheaper (plus as much of a fan of Tama's that I've been in the past, their company's designs are stagnant and their new drum lines are awful, and it's sometimes impossible to get parts).

Gibraltar is simply the best today. Can't wait to try this one out!