DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Time Lapse Set-Up Video - Gibraltar Stealth Racks

Hey folks.

Its been a while since I have posted here. I've been hard at work recording an album with my band Of The Earth and re-thinking my hardware, with the emphasis on quick set-up times. I'm sure you guys have seen the new Gibraltar Stealth racks. I utilize the side rack to my left and the snare/combo rack directly in front of me. The last show we had I managed to beat my guitar player's set-up time getting on stage. I'd say thats a success.

Here is a time-lapse video I made while setting up my kit yesterday at practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShqUW4N5FU

The music in the backround is my band, using that exact same kit. http://www.oftheearthband.com

Mapex Pro-M 6-Piece. 13", 14", 16", 18", 22" kick.
DW 9000 pedals
Zildjian Custom Thin Crashes 15", 17"
Paiste Signature Full Ride 21"
Zildjian Crash of Doom 18"
Sabian Hand Hammered China 16"
Meinl Byzance Spectrum Hats 13"
Hardware: Gibraltar stealth racks with various tillers/arms. 2 main crashes soon to be held on by a Gibraltar Hybrid Pod.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Time Lapse Set-Up Video - Gibraltar Stealth Racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeyInChains View Post
Hey folks.

Its been a while since I have posted here. I've been hard at work recording an album with my band Of The Earth and re-thinking my hardware, with the emphasis on quick set-up times. I'm sure you guys have seen the new Gibraltar Stealth racks. I utilize the side rack to my left and the snare/combo rack directly in front of me. The last show we had I managed to beat my guitar player's set-up time getting on stage. I'd say thats a success.

Here is a time-lapse video I made while setting up my kit yesterday at practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShqUW4N5FU

The music in the backround is my band, using that exact same kit. http://www.oftheearthband.com

Mapex Pro-M 6-Piece. 13", 14", 16", 18", 22" kick.
DW 9000 pedals
Zildjian Custom Thin Crashes 15", 17"
Paiste Signature Full Ride 21"
Zildjian Crash of Doom 18"
Sabian Hand Hammered China 16"
Meinl Byzance Spectrum Hats 13"
Hardware: Gibraltar stealth racks with various tillers/arms. 2 main crashes soon to be held on by a Gibraltar Hybrid Pod.
Nice video.

I use a Gibraltar Stealth rack too...to my right side. It holds 2 ride cymbals and 2 crashes, and sometimes a mounted tambourine; and takes just a few minutes to set up.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM

I like those stealth racks, especially for the right side, but I don't understand the point of having the other one. If you use a snare stand and a double tom stand, you have the same setup for a lot less money. Or is it easier to mount crashes on that rack than with clamps on a double stand?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
I like those stealth racks, especially for the right side, but I don't understand the point of having the other one. If you use a snare stand and a double tom stand, you have the same setup for a lot less money. Or is it easier to mount crashes on that rack than with clamps on a double stand?
The snare/tom stealth rack saves space and minimizes trims up and down stage. That's pretty much it. The footprint of the tom end of that rack is a lot smaller than a big double braced tom stand, and a lot more sturdy. I always hated having to weave 3 stands together on a small drum platform just to get cymbals where I need them. This takes all the guesswork out. I can move my entire kit onto a stage in 4 trips now and I need very little time to move things where I need em.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 AM

How long was it in real time?

I currently use 2 stands for 2 cymbals and 2 floating toms- I like the idea of what you have here, I just dont see how it for me it would beat my 2 yamaha stands with cymbal add on pieces etc?

Thanks for posting though
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

That was around 17 minutes but that in no way represents what I would do in a show scenario. I would leave those racks assembled but rotate everything flat and lay them down in my car. This video was shot in our practice space so I was taking my time and had everything broken down completely beforehand.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Gibraltar rack, and I keep it together and just load it into my truck as one piece. I have to fold two of the cymbal arms, but that's it. I use it to hold four cymbals (1 splash, 2 crash, 1 ride) and an 8" rack tom. The other two rack toms (10", 12") are bass drum mounted, and then of course, the two floor toms. The only other hardware I need are for the hi-hat, snare, and sometimes a china cymbal stand. It makes setup a breeze.