DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 AM

Default Define shell pack

Does it literally just mean the shells, and maybe heads?

Or does it come with some hardware.

Ie. Racking system, tom legs, and what not....
Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Define shell pack

Shell pack = Shells, heads, hoops, lugs, tension rods, tom mount and floor tom legs.

It does NOT contain, pedals, HH stand, throne, cymbal stands or any other hardware.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

The higher end shell packs don't include a snare either, which kind of sucks.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Shell pack = Shells, heads, hoops, lugs, tension rods, tom mount and floor tom legs.

It does NOT contain, pedals, HH stand, throne, cymbal stands or any other hardware.
Yeah thats what I thought, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
The higher end shell packs don't include a snare either, which kind of sucks.

Agreed. They have enough money to give two drum sets for the price you pay of one, and then they still feel the need to take away the snare....

Greedy.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 AM

I don't know that it's greedy....not more than they already are. Most people buying upper-end shell kits are using a "special" snare anyway. It's kinda nice to have one that matches the kit....but you can't always make them sound "just right"
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, I don't mind when shell packs don't include a snare. Just as I already had hardware and only needed a shell pack, I really didn't need the matching snare that went with the rest of the kit. I ended up virtually giving it away on eBay 'cause I just didn't need another snare.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 PM

a shell pack is just the drums. (i.e. shells, heads, lugs, etc.). no cymbals. no hardware.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

http://www.shellhorizons.com/details...=CP1-13&Page=1

Another type of shell pack.

Sorry, I know it is serious inquiry, I am just having a little fun here.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

IMO, I don't think greed is an element at all.

If you want high end, the drums are at market value (what people will pay). Companies compete against a sea of other manufacturers, main stream and boutique, for market share.

We are not in Iron Curtain era Russia and forced to buy what ever the government says to buy. That's one of the things I love about the U.S. and and free market countries.

On a practical level, when you get to the high end, your are in the demographic that often times will pay and pursue more personal snare choices. This can often cross manufacturer lines as you look for the holy grail of drum sounds from your set.

I bought a brand new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau shells (Vintage finish) only set in 2004 that did not come with a snare drum. However I'd already started down the road of snare drum obsession and had models that were going to work very nicely with these drums. To me, snare purchases can often be a completely separate and much more dynamic activity than the purchase of an entire drum set. I like the sound of the YMCAN snare that matches my drums - but I don't adore it. Therefore forcing me to pay more by saying "Sorry that's just part of the shell pack deal" would be a downside. Yamaha probably thought in this fashion and went ahead and priced the YMCAN pack this way.

If you follow endorsees, you will more often than not find them using a snare that doesn't match the composition or theme of the drum set they endorse. If so-and-so endorses Ludwig Legacy he uses a Black Beauty or Bronze Supra. If another so-and-so uses DW Jazz series she uses a DW Solid Shell or Edge snare. Even within the same company there will be the need and budget for freedom at the top.

When you descend down a notch or two, like Gretsch Catalina or Sonor 3007 you start to see shell packs with snares included. That's because money is an issue more for the demographic that uses intermediate and student level drums than ever would be with the high end. And guess what? Those snares are usually the ones that many start not liking after a while. Those are the snares that eventually get replaced. They are replaced even though the rest of the drums, when given a fresh set of off the shelf drum heads and good tuning, sound absolutely killer, sometimes being indistinguishable in live situations from their higher end brothers. A nice snare, pro cymbals and reheading levels the playing field sound wise for the overwhelming number of players who DON'T play high end these days.

To sum it up: I believe we are in the most competitive, wide ranging and fair priced market I've ever seen over the 30+ years I've been playing. Don't make me start with the "When I went to school we walked 5 miles through the snow" thing. :)

Jim

Jim Martin Music