DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Default help me figure out my Premier kit

Hey everybody,

I just bought a Premier drum kit, and I can not for the life of me figure out its model . I have looked at some of the Premier Badge guides online, and my badge does not exactly match any of them...:( Ive put a bunch of photos up on my Google picture page:

http://picasaweb.google.com/scriver....K3Boq2yttf8Xg#

I would really appreciate if if someone could help me figure out the model, year of production, wood type, and if possible what it sold for back then, and what the shell pack is worth now. It sounds good, and I am really curious about its history.

Many thanks in advance.

John
Old 12-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: help me figure out my Premier kit

Pretty common query here, its a PREMIER APK in one of the cooler finishes. Later production renamed CABRIA Sold for $8-900 US
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Pretty common query here, its a PREMIER APK in one of the cooler finishes. Later production renamed CABRIA Sold for $8-900 US
Leslie.. you know that lug they used which is the same lug or "design" at least as all those killer vintage Premier kits ... Have you taken those things off and checked out their quality ?? How do you rate them..??
Old 12-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Technically it's an XPK.

The ABK had wrapped shells, XPK had the lacquer finish as shown in the picture.

My guess is the set is from approx 1993-1995. Earlier years had black interiors.

If I recall, an XPK 5pc sold for approx $799 without hardware in 1993. Although maybe it was $699. I know I sold many of them, but that was many gigs ago.

Either way, they were really good mid-level drums at the time. The success of the Premier ABK and XPK forced Yamaha/Pearl/Tama to greatly improve the quality of their drum kits to keep up.

I know I toyed with the idea of buying an XPK at the time, but I didn't really need another drum kit.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
Leslie.. you know that lug they used which is the same lug or "design" at least as all those killer vintage Premier kits ... Have you taken those things off and checked out their quality ?? How do you rate them..??

I still have many of these lugs as spares (played PROJECTOR'S at on time) rate them mechanically as garbage. If Im not mistaken PREMIER might still have a crap-load of these lugs they will sell you.

The lug nut is the major problem, some of the lug nut's corners are cut short, as a result they can spin inside the lug casing, also the slide washers that hold the lug nuts can rattle and quite often do. Pre rust conditions actually help this problem. An intermediate cure is super glue. The threads on the lug casings themselves are also weak, be careful when taking off and reinstalling, its easy to strip the threads. I'll post example pic's if people really want to see them.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I still have many of these lugs as spares (played PROJECTOR'S at on time) rate them mechanically as garbage. .
Interesting... I thought they would of been among the better made of the major mfg's... at least the casting/body...
Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Standard monkey metal, very good looking lugs, but all the problems of monkey metal.

The toms use the 5.5" long lug which has only one mounting hole dead-center of the tom(s), this lug is not stable and can easily spin off its center line if not tight... tight means running the risk of stripping the mounting threads.

Floor toms use the 7" lug and bass drums the 9" both having two mounting points.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:15 PM

thanks everyone for all the feedback and detailed information on my kit - nice to know what I'm playing now.