DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM

Default Open back headphones for live click track?

Hey guys I've just started playing with a band that uses a live click track. The only thing coming through the phones will be the click, so I don't care what the phones sound like. The only thing I care about is hearing the live sound undistorted.

And I play with a pair of custom mold earplugs, so I can't use any kind of earbuds.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Open back headphones for live click track?

Ear plugs and open-air phones? That's asking a lot of the phones to compete with the live playing to get through the plugs. Why not use a good earbud in one ear with the click? While it won't block the sound as well as a mold, it will give you a better link to the click, and also looks better than phones (if that's a concern.)

Bermuda
Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. I could do that, but I hate playing with one ear isolated from the world. And we have the click running through an amplifier, so I can make it as loud as I want, which is why I would also like to avoid using expensive headphones, since I'll probably blow them up at some point (in addition to covering them in beer, sweat, and debauchery).

And I like how the phones look :)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Frank View Post
Thanks for the advice. I could do that, but I hate playing with one ear isolated from the world. And we have the click running through an amplifier, so I can make it as loud as I want, which is why I would also like to avoid using expensive headphones, since I'll probably blow them up at some point (in addition to covering them in beer, sweat, and debauchery).

And I like how the phones look :)
You certainly wouldn't be isolated with an earbud in one ear, but if you don't mind the phones, I'd suggest just buying almost any cheap, light phones since all you need is the click. (A spare pair is a good idea!) I'd suggest over-the-ear (traditional ear cup) phones so you don't have to be too cautious about them falling off when you play. But you won't have to worry about isolation and not hearin the band, cheap phones don't isolate much.

I don't have any specific brands or models to recommend, but anything in the $20-30 range should be fine.

Bermuda
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM

Here's a cheap model with a suitable retro look - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2259597

Radio Shack has several over-the-ear phones for under $25 :)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:50 PM

Awesome, thank you so much. Super cheap is probably the best way to go. I'll figure something out.