DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM
fusssion

Default Re: Drum Dials and tension watches

About "singing" songs when tuning.....

I've always heard of the beginning of the Star Spangled Banner...

Oh say can you see

the Ohh is 2 hits on your snare

say is your floor tom

can is your middle tom

you is your higher tom

see is your highest tom or snare ....

works!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith526 View Post
I couldn't find a drum dial from my local music store but the had a Tama drum watch. So far it is fun but does anyone know if the numbers are the same as the Drum dial? there is so much info and samples on the drum dial so I using the drum dial values and I'm getting some good sounds.

www.myspace.com/keithdaileybeats
They are the same. Both of them go from zero to one hundred.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooltonboy View Post
I've been experimenting with the Drumdial for a while now, and I have a question. I've found that on my rack toms, a higher reso setting (usually around 78) and a slightly lower batter (around 75-76) gives me a great sound.
Do most of the Drumdial users use the same rack tom settings for their floor toms?
I'm going to experiment with putting my floor toms (14x14,16x16) at a higher reso also.
I've always had the resos on the floors at around 75 to try and get that really deep sound, but maybe they should be higher also?
Thought?
Cheers
Phil
Running a higher reso head will take some of the growl and rumble out of the floor toms. Your toms will also sound lower in pitch out front than when you're sitting behind the drums.

I was running 80 over 80 on rack toms and 75 over 80 on floor toms. The drums seemed to be pitched up pretty high, but when I recorded them they sounded great.

Any where between 75 and 80 should get you close. Fine tune by ear after that.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 AM

I bought one of these years ago after many years of hating the tuning of my drums. I have absolutely no sense of pitch or tone. I couldn't tell if the pitch at one lug was sharper or flatter than another. So I bought one.

I trust it completely. I tune up to my settings and leave it at that. And my drums sound better than they ever have. I change they tension settings every now and then just to mix things up, but they always sound great.

I've had my toms at 75 top and bottom, to their current settings of
13x9 73.5 top and 72.5 bottom
16x16 74 top and 72.5 bottom

Can't remember my snare, but it's about 88 top and 80 bottom.

I use clear g1's on the top and ambassadors on the bottom of my toms (all getting old. My snare has a coated g1 top and a 300 evans snare side head.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM

I don't think that the tension watches are effective. Not that I'm a Physics expert but i think that if you put ension on one side of the shell the other side is effected and the tension cannot be the same on all the lugs.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
They are the same. Both of them go from zero to one hundred.
They (the Tension Watch and Drum Dial) are not the same. They are calibrated with different units, the TW is metric, the DD English, IIRC. Trying to use DD settings on a TW will probably break something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrum View Post
I don't think that the tension watches are effective. Not that I'm a Physics expert but i think that if you put ension on one side of the shell the other side is effected and the tension cannot be the same on all the lugs.
They measure the tension of the head, not the lug. Since the pitch of the head is directly related to the tension, these tympanic measuring devices work as advertised. If the tension is not even across the head, it will sound wretched (the basic out of tune multipitched klunk). If the shell and hoop are perfectly round, there is a quite regular tension measurement at each lug. If something is a bit out of round, the tensions need to be different to be in tune.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
They (the Tension Watch and Drum Dial) are not the same. They are calibrated with different units, the TW is metric, the DD English, IIRC. Trying to use DD settings on a TW will probably break something.
I've heard that before, but have to disagree. Both dials are calibrated the same. They both go from zero to 100. I have a Tama unit and use drum dial settings without any issues.

Both dials are exactly the same.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post

They measure the tension of the head, not the lug. Since the pitch of the head is directly related to the tension, these tympanic measuring devices work as advertised. If the tension is not even across the head, it will sound wretched (the basic out of tune multipitched klunk). If the shell and hoop are perfectly round, there is a quite regular tension measurement at each lug. If something is a bit out of round, the tensions need to be different to be in tune.

And what are the units? Pounds per square inch? Kilonewtons? I have a Drum Dial and I think the measurements are just arbitrary and don't correspond to any particular system. I think they just measure the variance of tension between different points on the dial, not relative to any system of measurement (English or metric).
Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
And what are the units? Pounds per square inch? Kilonewtons? I have a Drum Dial and I think the measurements are just arbitrary and don't correspond to any particular system. I think they just measure the variance of tension between different points on the dial, not relative to any system of measurement (English or metric).
I tend to agree. These dials are very commomly used to measure run out. Machinists use them. They are usually calibrated to measure in thousands of an inch. In this case the dials read head tension. The setings are arbittrary, but repeatable.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

i have not used a drum dial/tension watch yet but i see how they could be more acurate than the torque key type, i have an evans and a rythm tech and they are garbage, the differences in the lugs alone make them useless, you can actually get them closer faster by hand, and you will still need to do the tap test to get them right even more so than just finger tightening all the lugs and then tightening them all the same # of turns with a regular key, dont believe me? try this, tune your snare with a torque key, do it a couple times, backing them off a bit then bringing them up to torque so that they are all exactly the same according to the key that is, then take a regular key and loosen 1 lug 1 complete turn and then tighten the opposite lug 1 completel turn, go around again with the torque key, it will still say they are all the same because the strain on the lug is the same but the tension on the head sure isnt, at least the drum dials measure head tension not lug torque, but if your really fussy or lazy (like me lol ) there is an electronic sonic tuner out there that sits across the rim and sends a sonic signal thru the drum and will show you the actual note of the drum and shows which lug to turn and which way to turn it to bring all lugs to the perfect pitch but they are between $300 to $400, if i was in a bigger area with more drummers id buy one and advertise the service just like piano tuning....lol