DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2006, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Drum Dials and tension watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce3n
Are the drum tuners good? I was thinking of the ones that look like a clock that about about $60 and do not require and kicking but check the pressure of the head. I was wondering if they are reliable and/or even neccessary for tuning. I would just like to have my drums sounding the best they can.
i have one for tuning in a hurry and i like it but what i have noticed on mine..maybe all of them like mine not sure..is that once you adjust the lug you have to take off dial and put it in place again for the full dial change to take effect..that was messing me up at first

but they are good..just make sure you learn how to tune by ear also because it is good to know how
Old 07-09-2006, 08:07 AM

alright im having trouble w/ my dial..how far off should the snare be from toms/bass to keep the snares from vibrating because of resonance.

also for those who have experimented with the dial how many units = 1 note change ?

ty in advance
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

I've never seen where it says what the numbers on the dial stand for, if anything. Do they show the resistance pressure of the drum head in ounces, or grams or something? Or are the numbers arbitrary, just representing some subdivision of the dial with no corresponding weight or pressure?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Chip

The numbers are length. The Drumdial measures 1 notch as 1/1000 of an inch. The tama product measures 1/1000cm or mm (I can't remember, probably cm), thus making it finer.
Therefore;
Tama=metric
DD=imperial

As you may know, Drumdials are made from dial indicators with a base. What happens when you tension up the drum, it offers more resistance to the point, thus pushing it up further, giving a higher reading. Nothing to do with weight, it's a very clever idea no matter.

Therefore the numbers show how much further your head pushes the pin up into the mechanism, thus the resistance pressure is measured in distance.

The numbers are there because they are what you find on a dial indicator, but they hve no use themselves to my knowledge. You may aswell have pictures of animals and say "I like mine between the rabbit and the donkey". But with the numbers, you can go in between increments, easier to remember etc, thus giving numbers the edge over our furry freinds.

If you can somehow find a relation of the number to the pitch of said drum, go for it. In fact, tell us how it goes if you do it, I would be interested to find out.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:49 PM

just spent the afternoon putting my new heads on my kit using the drumdial.

i have never been the best at tuning by ear and found the drumdial very useful.

i tuned it in to even readings then tapped around the head to familiarise myself to the sound..am hoping it will be a really useful teaching tool.

drums sound better than ever.

yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

I like my Drum Dial but I am starting to learn to trust my ears more. I have started putting the heads on a set of solid-shell ironwood drums (www.spiritdrums.com). The wood is twice as dense as maple, the shells are a half-inch thick and there are no plies or glue to absorb sound (yes, they weigh a lot). So the drums are extremely reflective and correct tuning is crucial or the overtones sound awful.

I've tuned a 10-inch tom so far and used the drum dial for batter and resonant heads, but I couldn't reduce the overtones no matter how hard I tried. I then put the drum dial away and began hitting the head in the center and making small adjustments to the tuning bolts. The overtones began to disappear and there is now an round, even tone coming from the drum. When I put the drum near my head it makes my skull vibrate in sympathy - the tone is that powerful and even. So I think I have this drum tuned correctly, although it will help to have the rims and heads for the rest of the set as I can then tune the drums against each other.

The lesson: For very sensitive drums, the Drum Dial might only be able to get you 90 percent of the way, which seems close but is still way off for sensitive drums. The Drum Dial measures tympanic pressure very accurately, but I'm discovering there's more to tuning than just tympanic pressure. You'll need to use your ears and make tiny adjustments by ear to get the rest of the way there.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 08-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Chip

Good post!

Skull-vibrating tuning, eh? Hehe, I should posted that in the 'superlatives' thread. I'm making a stave shell soon, and it's most probably going to be more sensitive than the steel POS I have now.

I think what the Dial is supposed to do is just have the head at even tension (compared to bringing the tension up by ear, I have experimented by bringing up the tension and judging by just how many turns I had done, and the reading was five notches higher on some lugs) but after the tension is even, then you start fine-tuning and working them to be the same by ear. It gives you a good foundation to start tuning on. I'm pretty sure that is more what it is used for, rather than just the equivalent of a guitar tuner.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:15 AM

[quote]It gives you a good foundation to start tuning on. I'm pretty sure that is more what it is used for, rather than just the equivalent of a guitar tuner.[/QUOTE

Exactly! It makes it really easy to get the initial settings, putting the tension of the head at the lugs very close to one another. I notice from my use with it, that I can get the head tuned by ear EVENTUALLY, but the dial cuts down on the tweaking time. Yes, I still have to tap and listen and put some fine adjustments here and there, but when changing heads, I can set them even, crank them up and stretch and seat, back off and set to my dial settings. If that setting doesn't sound like you want, the heads are pretty much evenly tuned and you can tune it to the sound you desire, and then measure the head, and write down the settings for that particular head combination. The dial is not the end all tuner, but for newbees just starting out, it provides a reference for head tension that would only come with experience. They can buy the drum dial, set all the heads to 72, and it will sound better than haphazardly twisting away, until they "get it" or are taught differently. I can't pick up a guitar and tune it perfectly by ear alone, some can. I may "stumble" upon it trying. The dial takes a lot of the "stumbling" out of the equation.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:30 AM
Chip

That being said.......... anybody know a good foundation to start on a:
16"x16", 6-lug, most probably poplar, possibly maple, 9-ply floor tom? Pinstripes and stock reso. The surroundings don't matter, it sounds shite everywhere.

I've tried to get a good tone, but I just cannot get away from a 'bwwawawaaoooowww' with heaps of overtones and barely any definition. My 12" and 13" sound great, but then the floor tom sounds horrible. I'm thinking of a Benny Greb sounding floor tom, that is the type of punch I have in everything else. I don't want to have to muffle the thing to death...... I almost had a nice sound out of it, but it's still pathetic. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
Good post!

Skull-vibrating tuning, eh? Hehe, I should posted that in the 'superlatives' thread. I'm making a stave shell soon, and it's most probably going to be more sensitive than the steel POS I have now.

I think what the Dial is supposed to do is just have the head at even tension (compared to bringing the tension up by ear, I have experimented by bringing up the tension and judging by just how many turns I had done, and the reading was five notches higher on some lugs) but after the tension is even, then you start fine-tuning and working them to be the same by ear. It gives you a good foundation to start tuning on. I'm pretty sure that is more what it is used for, rather than just the equivalent of a guitar tuner.
HAHA! That would be a good slogan for the DrumDial, "Skull-vibrating tuning." The human body actually does have a resonant frequency, around 9 hertz. When you stand next to a subwoofer and "feel" the low tones, it's those very low frequencies that are literally making your flesh vibrate sympathetically. With enough amplification, these frequencies will also make your inner ear vibrate, causing vomiting and dizziness, or even cause tissue damage at very high power levels. The Army has experimented with using ultra-low frequencies as weapons.

You're right, Chip, in that the Drum Dial can't be relied up for everything and isn't as "presto" as a guitar tuner. I'm now starting to realize that. I think once you attain the same readings on each lug, you can then tweak each lug, hit the drum and listen to what the sound is doing. If the unwanted overtones start going away, you know you're heading in the right direction.

You said you're making a stave shell? Tell us about it.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Chip

Well, that was a nice bit of information! I'll have to tune my bass to say... ooh, 9 hertz. Hehe, oh yeah, skull-vibration.

I realised the Dial was to be used for a starting tool rather than a "presto" tool by reading the reviews (I'm a very conservative and cautious person... I'm getting more impulsive though). It does help me a lot. So no ideas for floor tom settings? Oh well, I'll experiment.

The stave shell.... I've not much to say about it (yet). Either Maple or Jarrah (or another Australian hardwood, maple is just the benchmark wood, but I think it would be a bit expensive to ship here), and I'm looking for free floating snare hardware (anyone? I can only find ones with shells in them... much too expensive, any idea on how much it is for just the rims/hardware? If I bought a 14 x 5" snare with the shell, I could just switch the shells over and essentially have 2 snares... either way), so I don't have to drill holes (better tone... and I'm lazy).

I'm thinking 14" x 5", I think 20/32 staves (32 will allow a 10 lug more comfortably), if it's 20, it should be each stave as 2.2" wide, and about 3/4" thick. So I'm going to need a 100" x 2.2" x 3/4" (that's a 20 stave shell) piece of wood.

And I need to find something to cut the sides of the staves at a 9 degree bevel so they will arrange as a circle. I might make my own lugs (brass if I do), I have access to metal lathes, a shaper, drill press, milling machine etc. I plan to make a scale model (I might even end up with a 10" popcorn snare!) out of a less valuable wood first, just to make sure I don't screw up a heap of Jarrah, that is expensive.

It'll be a wee bit of a challenge, me thinks, I think it will be well worth the effort, though. Any help would be appreciated. One more thing, I've registered at the ghostnote forums (I know, I'm a traitor), as they have a tutorial for stave shells for $8 or so, but I haven't got an activation email yet. Is there a way I can get another one sent ? I have to build this snare in a few weeks [major woodwork assignment] and would like to get started as soon as possible, but I can't until I get that tutorial (or another resource on stave shells, I found one for a drum, but it is about 20" tall, so the procedure is different). I have basic shop knowledge, but I really don't want to screw it up.

I'll probably have to start a thread on this.... I don't think it will get answered in this thread.

Quote:
Tell us about it
You, my friend, have created a monster! You got me talking (well, typing)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I've not much to say about it
Well, I proved myself wrong, didn't I?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM

I was never interested in tuners, but a great drum tech friend introduced me to their uses and completely tuned my whole set for me with one just before a gig. I have a large set but it only took about a half an hour. Each head was tuned to the same tension, reso heads 6 degrees tighter. I was not far of in my own tuning but the drums really sing in their own tones now. And I finally have that drop pitch sound I was looking for. They never sounded better!! My bandmates noticed the difference too.

Go for it!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

I still rely on my ears. But, i do use a drum dial. After initial tuning, i'll use my drum dial to record my current settings in a notebook. It does come in handy for super quick head changes, especially between sets.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Pioneer Member

I have been using my Drum Dial now for close to 2 years on both my early 1980s Yamaha Recording Series custom kit (strictly for home use) as well as my gigging kit with is a Pearl EX fusion kit (a very funky purple colour).

I do find the Drum Dial extremely useful when you are setting up in a bar/ resturant setting as the owners/manager of the bar usually does not want to hear the tap tap tapping of a drummer tuning his/her drums while people are eating. (or the guitarist testing their rig to see if there solo setting is going to be loud enough) I can quickly tune up the gigging kit after I bring it in from either the hot/humid or coldness/dryness of the northern Canadian environment without disturbing the patrons or the manager. Once the rest of the band is setup and we run through our scheduled (or permitted) soundcheck, I adjust the tuning on the drums manually, again to adjust to the temperature and humdity changes. I haven't found a time that it hasn't come in handy and people are always wondering what I am doing with the "gadget".

I live the tuning bible and fundamentally believe that all drummers should know the whys and the how to tune your drums regardless of the complimentary tools (such as a Drum Dial or a Tension Watch) available. Having said that, I am very happy to use my Drum Dial and my ear and both for any and all situations that they call for it.

We want people to hear our playing in both the ensemble setting as well as the potentially small window highlighting your skills (aka tasteful mini-solo) but your tympanic expressions will only be as good as the sound and quality of the instrument that you are expressing it on!!!!

I believe that both your ear and a complimentary tool will work, you just have to be open to use them and understand their strengths and weaknesses... 'cause you know that they have both!!!

My $.02 worth...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Drum Tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit
I have the drum dial tuner. It works great when u need to tune your drums in a hurry (like at a gig or whatever). For those of us who have not been playing for 30 years and have trouble tuning our drums perfectly by year, this thing will help make your drums sound better.
Well said Scarlit.
I have the Tension watch. Changing heads is a lot simpler. I can always get the sound back very easily by using the numbers on the dial. I highly reccomend them.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

Default What are your Drum Dial Settings?

This might be benificial, or perhaps a waste of time.

What drum dial settings do you use for your drums? Lets share different recipes!

Have used EC2s, G2 coateds, G2 clears and G1 clears.

I currently use 75 bat 74 reso for my 8 and 10 toms.

I use 76 bat 75 reso for my 12

I use 75 bat and 74 reso for my 13

I use 75 74 for my 16 and 18 toms.

For my Vinnie Paul Snare, I use 92 batter to 84 reso with my snare wires fairly tight with EMAD batter.

My Bass drum is 75 by 75. I have a 4 inch hole cut out with an evan pad touching the batter head

I would like to see some of yours to test if possible!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Re: What are your Drum Dial Settings?

for my toms:remo clear ambassador top & bottom
10" 75top. 74bottom
12" 77top. 76bottom
13" 75top. 75bottom
16" 75top 70bottom

14x5 snare top94. bottom 85 xemperor coated top, bottom ambassador snare
13x3 piccolo top 93. bottom 85 coated ambassador top, bottom ambassador snare
22"bass batter75. resonant 70 powerstroke 3
REMO
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20270
Old 11-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Pioneer Member

It depends on the heads, but for toms 75/75 is a great place to start. I'm currently running 75 on the batter and 80 on the reso on the 8, 10, and 12. 70 batter and 75 reso on the 14 and 16.

For the snares 90 batter and 80 reso. Some snares are cranked up a little higher. 95 batter and 85 reso. Again it depends on the heads and shells. Some snare batter heads feel like a block of wood at 95 and above.

My OCDP snare is set at 90/90.

Most of the settings I've seen posted here are in the same general ball park. If you're new to drums, or have trouble tuning the drum dial will be one of the best investments you could make.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 AM

this may sound noob, but i've never had nor used a drum dial, what exactly is it?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Guinness

10" tom- 76/76
12" tom- 75/75
13" tom- 75/75
16" tom- 74/74
22" bass drum- 75/75
14" x 6.5" snare- 88/77....gives it a real fat sound.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1374 View Post
this may sound noob, but i've never had nor used a drum dial, what exactly is it?

http://drumdial.com/index.html
Old 11-15-2006, 04:19 AM

Coated emperor/coated ambassador
Batter/Reso
14x12 75/80
16x16 75/80
18x16 75/80

Emperor X/Ludwig snare side
14x6.5 93/80 75 at bed

Ludwig heavy clear/Ludwig heavy black
26x14 85/85 approximately
These are all just my starting points, it may vary up or down a bit at different lugs after I fine tune it by ear.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Synthetik

My drumdial arrived saturday. It was interesting to note that my drumheads were actually around 80, or tighter than recommended. I am going to set up my new kit as per instructions (75/74 or there about) and see how it works.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik View Post
My drumdial arrived saturday. It was interesting to note that my drumheads were actually around 80, or tighter than recommended. I am going to set up my new kit as per instructions (75/74 or there about) and see how it works.
Depending on the rods thread pitch, 80 is a quarter to a half turn up from 75. I had a set of coated Aquarian Response IIs that I ran at 80. In the end pulled them off my set after a couple of weeks. They lacked projection for rock.

You strike me as a drummer of considerable experience. What I find interesting is that even though you've tuned by ear you're still in the general ball park as the rest of us who use the dial.

I'm at 75/80 for the toms, but I think I'll try 75/74 today for band practice. I have to put a new head on my 8" anyway. It's starting to look like the surface of the moon.

Thanks for the feed back.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Synthetik

The situation currently is aquarian studio-x drumheads on pearl export.

By ear, if they are set with any less tension, the response drops off dramatically, and the drumhead will really flap.

If I went up much, the head would have decent response, but then the toms would be high pitched and choked.

80 seemed to fall into a narrow sweet spot. It was almost a natural spot to tune, given the limitations of the drum/druhead combo.

It's going to to be a *huge* difference on Tempus carbon fiber with G-1 coated.

Last edited by Synthetik; 11-20-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Pioneer Member

What I find interesting is that the recommended reso settings provided by Drumdial, always seem to be LOWER than the batter settings, particulary on the double-ply head recommendation.
I also find that most people who have posted Drumdial settings seem to have the reso at a lower number.
I was wondering if having a lower single-ply reso setting, when using a double-ply batter, will in fact make the reso be equal to the batter in tension, or maybe even higher. In other words, because of the diffent thickness betwen reso and batter, the setting is actually compensating for this?
I do find that I get a much nicer, thicker sound when the reso is set at a lower tension
Thoughts on this?
Cheers
Phil
Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

I also like looser resonant heads. If my drums are tuned optimally, there is a "pitch bend" effect where the initial note gives way to an upwardly-bending note just a fraction of a second after stick impact. My drums are notoriously difficult to tune, particularly my 10 inch tom, and I have fussed with it for an hour or more after changing heads.

For my kit at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18719, these are my settings:

snare: 93 bat, 86 res
bass: 71 bat, 69 res
8 inch tom: 74 bat, 72 res
10 inch tom: 73 bat, 71 res
12 inch tom: 72 bat, 70 res
14 inch tom: 71 bat, 69 res

Talkit variable pitch drum: 71 bat, 69 res

I like my drums tuned low - once you get below 70, the tuning bolts are basically finger-tight!

www.terrasonus.com
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 PM

I have been experimenting with the dial, trying their specs, just seeing sound differences, I'm still looking for THE sound i want, trouble is i don't know it until it hits me, does that make sense?

Do you guys use the dial for the rough tune, then tune to particular notes?
If you do, where do you get the tones (notes)? Also, it seems i am basically tone deaf at this point in my experience level, hell, when i was trying to tune without the dial, lots of times i couldnt tell which lug was lower.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw View Post
I have been experimenting with the dial, trying their specs, just seeing sound differences, I'm still looking for THE sound i want, trouble is i don't know it until it hits me, does that make sense?

If you do, where do you get the tones (notes)? Also, it seems i am basically tone deaf at this point in my experience level, hell, when i was trying to tune without the dial, lots of times i couldnt tell which lug was lower.
It takes practice and with practice comes experience. I had heck getting my snare 6.5 x 14 snare to sound good with the recommended settings. I had no choice but to go back to the old school method of tuning by ear using the methods outlined in the drum tuning bible- http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html

The tom settings are fairly accurate as far as the recommended settings suggested, but I found that the snare and bass drum required a little more effort. My suggestion would be to take the time and follow the instructions outlined in the tuning bible and once you have it tuned well to your liking just use the Dial to record those settings and you're good to go the next time you change the heads. I know it's frustrating, but once accomplished it's a huge relief to know you have found your drums sweet spot and can duplicate that tuning in minutes if needed. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw View Post

I know what you mean. The whole tuning process can be totally frustrating.
I seem to have 2 things I struggle with.
1)...Can't seem to decide on whether the reso should be higher or lower than the batter head, as I've found pleasing results with both ways
2)...Can get nice sounds from individual drums, but can't decide on actual range of pitch difference from drum to drum. I find particulary that if I tune my 12" to the same setting as the 10", it's too low, and lacks resonance

I guess it's all about experimenting....time consuming though!
Cheers
Phil
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM

i always wanted one,but didn't know if it was worth it really.i can tune by ear,but that takes more time which i don't always have.so,i bought one a few weeks ago and i'm glad i did.tuned a 5 piece set in less than 30 minutes.i would say sometimes you have to make some fine adjustments by ear,but overall i'm happy.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I couldn't get my toms in tune so I searched the forums. Using the tensions mentioned here I was able to get a decent sound out of my toms. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:13 AM

I just got my drum dial today and I just put all my drums to 75/74 except for my snare and bass drum.

I have one question though. How important is the tension of the resonant? Im relatively new to drumming so I don't fully understand how it works just yet.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:50 AM

The resonant head tension will alter the pitch, the batter head tension will alter the feel of the rebound and also the pitch, but much less than the resonant head.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:06 AM

huh...

i tuned my whole kit once with a drumdial at 75/74 and thought it sounded horrible, both to me and through the PA. Before that (and still now) I always tuned my drums to what sounded like the resonant freq of the shell. If I can get the batter head to that frequency, and then lock the resonant head in just slightly below that frequency i get that great funky pitch dive on the toms. I don't use any muffling on the toms, except a tiny bit of gaff tape on the 14". The way i usually do this is to detune one or two lugs about a quarter turn... I never took the time to figure out what numbers that tuning came up to on the drumdial, as it was borrowed and didn't work for me anyway.

If I had to guess I'd say that my batter heads are higher than 75 by a bit (maybe 80 or so) and my resos are lower than 74 (maybe 70ish). At 75/74 my toms felt floppy and sounded like cardboard boxes. My kick is just slightly better than finger tight on the batter side, and tuned to the shell resonance on the resonant side. Evans EQ pad barely touching the batter head, and an old sweater on the resonant head, changed as far as how much is touching the reso head depending on the room. The snare drum is cranked down like a concrete slab on the batter side and pretty floppy on the resonant side, snares are average tension.

I guess maybe my setup is pretty messed up, but it sounds sick through our PA, and every PA I've played it through, as well as 2 studio sessions... all tuned and muted the same way.

[edit] forgot to mention that i have evans g1s on the toms, and that i tune my 14" tom, then tune the 10" to be an octave above that, then tune the 12" to be about a 5th below the 10".

Last edited by Red Hawk; 01-03-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: lack of sobriety
Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 AM

I tuned my kit with a drum dial and the tension settings were 85 on all the reso heads, and 78 on the batter. I think my kit just booms, it really sounds great.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
larlev

Sorry to bring back this thread.....

I decided to buy a DD.....at first I was really skeptical, but I will say that head changes have never been faster..as some of you know I change heads very often...mainly just to experiment..

On my new build with keller shells and Emp/Amb clears.....I have the following settings

10"...76/75
12"...75/74
16"...74/73

This tool does not replace your ears....but if you change heads frequently it makes it a lot faster.

The one thing I have noticed on many forums is the misconception that a lower reso setting equals a lower pitched reso...this is not true in what I have found..the difference in head thickness, ie. 1 ply vs. 2 ply...means the tension will be affected, resulting in a higher pitch...my toms have a higher pitched reso even with the tension settings lower...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
I tuned my kit with a drum dial and the tension settings were 85 on all the reso heads, and 78 on the batter. I think my kit just booms, it really sounds great.
I am going to try this.

I tried going 75 batter /80 reso and it wasn't bad. However, the frequency caused major snare rattle for me.

I am going to try your combo of 78 /85. Sounds like it is tuned very high.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Pioneer Member

I've been experimenting with the Drumdial for a while now, and I have a question.
I've found that on my rack toms, a higher reso setting (usually around 78) and a slightly lower batter (around 75-76) gives me a great sound.
Do most of the Drumdial users use the same rack tom settings for their floor toms?
I'm going to experiment with putting my floor toms (14x14,16x16) at a higher reso also.
I've always had the resos on the floors at around 75 to try and get that really deep sound, but maybe they should be higher also?
Thought?
Cheers
Phil
Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 AM

I couldn't find a drum dial from my local music store but the had a Tama drum watch. So far it is fun but does anyone know if the numbers are the same as the Drum dial? there is so much info and samples on the drum dial so I using the drum dial values and I'm getting some good sounds.

www.myspace.com/keithdaileybeats