DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Drum dials?

The DrumDial tuner is a handy little device. But it's not a replacement for tuning by ear. I spent a few hours getting the right sounds. The tuning chart that comes with it gives you a recommended tuning range for your various drums, but it doesn't account for the types of woods or batters you have.

Once you find the right sound, write down the magic tuning numbers (both batter and resonant!) in the tuning chart. From then on, tuning your drums is quick and easy.

And don't drop the tuner. It's quite delicate.

Mo
Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

I don't feel the need for a device to help me tune my drums. If I were going to tune to specific notes, I would get a tuner. However, I know what I want my drums to sound like, and I am able to do that with my ears and hands, so why should I spend the $60 or so dollars on this little device.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip

I just tuned it to 75 on all, sounded better.
That sounds about right.

75 - 80 on rack toms and 70 - 75 on the floor toms should be a good place to start.

Try 90- 95 on the snare batter and 80 - 85 on the snare side. It'll crack real nice.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Guinness

I have one and couldn't live without it. I e-mailed Steve at Drum Dial and he gave me some recommended setting for each individual drum. I didn't like the one for the bass drum so I won't include it (batter head was way to loose)

10"- 76 top and bottom
12"- 75 top and bottom
13"- 75 top and bottom
16"- 74 top and bottom
14" snare- 85 top/82 bottom - This sounded good, but I tweaked mine to 88/85 for a better feel.

The snare as well as the bass drum are probably going to vary considerably from person to person because these two rely very heavily on feel, but the tom tuning hit the sweet spot like he said. I hope this information helps somebody.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:22 AM

I just used the "Drum Dial" last night for the first time. My bandleader just got a used set of Pacifics he's planning on making the 'house drums' for his commercial recording studio. At the end of rehearsal last Saturday, he handed the device to me and asked if I'd take it home and try it on my kit to see if it worth using or keeping. I was under the impression that the "Drum Dial" was one of those torque gauges and was wondering, at first, where the lug socket was that would fit on that little shaft to turn the lug. Also couldn't figure out why it had to be so heavy. A quick scan of the DD website explained it all and I got very good results working with it last eve. I was impressed with it's sensitivity and accuracy in tuning up the drums 'to themselves'. Afterwards, it was quite easy to tweak the sound by ear (the manufacturer clearly states that the device is no substitute for one's ear in the final analysis). All in all I think it's a great product and saves time(especially with new heads) by eliminating a lot of the trial and error of the initial setup. I got around the same numbers as those mentioned not really knowing what the range was.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

I got one yesterday on the recommendation of the people here and it seems to work very well for the drum set. Actually, I was surprised how close the lugs on my snare were, but with some fine adjustment, I noticed a more even, focused sound from my snare.

I will put it through the paces with my tablas, rawhide ashikos, bongos, congas and hand percussion. I think the assumption is that this is for stick drums and I expect it will work with natural heads as well.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Chip

Thanks for the tuning tips Steady Freddy. God I love this site.
The racks sound good, but my floor tom has always been a royal pain to tune. I've spent about 3 hours at once and never achieved more than a dead sounding thud, I got fed up with it and bought the DD. I just haven't been bothered to muddle with the settings.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tuning tips Steady Freddy. God I love this site.
The racks sound good, but my floor tom has always been a royal pain to tune. I've spent about 3 hours at once and never achieved more than a dead sounding thud, I got fed up with it and bought the DD. I just haven't been bothered to muddle with the settings.
Floor toms can be temperamental. If the drum seems dead. Bring up the reso head a little. Go slow. That might bring it to life.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Drum tuners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knevildrummer
Drum tuners can work but you mentioned that you have no idea what your drums are supposed to sound like. Your best bet with that is to hook up with someone who can tune already, a teacher, friend, engineer or someone at a local drum shop. They may not have "your sound" but that doesn't matter. They just have to have a good sound.

You need to train your ear to recognize the difference between a good and bad sounding drum. That's the first step.

Use your ears and don't rely on tools until you can do it the old fashioned way.
This sums it up pretty well, & once you've learned to tune by ear, you do not need the dial thereby rendering it an interesting but absolutely unnecessary tool.

If you like gadgets, & enjoy fiddling around with stuff, & have money to spare, by all means buy a drum dial, but there'll never be one in my gig tool box. Tuning by ear is one of the most basic skills any drummer should learn anyway.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga
I will put it through the paces with my tablas, rawhide ashikos, bongos, congas and hand percussion. I think the assumption is that this is for stick drums and I expect it will work with natural heads as well.
You know, you're probably right about that. I'm going to try it out on my congas. Of course, the rawhide heads are very different in nature from a thin plastic head, as is the rim/hoop arrangement. Worth a try, though, to see if it makes a difference. I once purchased a used set of Matador bongos where the previous owner had severely cranked down one side of the macho causing the hoop to sit crooked and warping the head. Made it hard to get a good tone.

As far as needing a DD at all, I've been tuning by ear exclusively for four decades and would be the first to agree that it's an art unto itself.
I've always arrived at satisfactory results after various periods of time. I've only used this device once, but with new heads it got me into
the "ballpark" range much quicker than usual. Tensioning evenly has always been the greatest time killer for me, and the visual reference
did help. To achieve the final desired sound is all up to the ear and the "art". The DD just gives one a quick head start.

Last edited by Loge; 04-15-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Chip

I was thinking about tightening the reso last night. It's also 16" deep so it's a lot harder to get the reso moving like it should, which is why my next kit will be fusion sizes.

I got the drum dial as a tuning aid. I never intended for it to replace my ear (and I never will).
It's only here to train. Not replace.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Pioneer Member

A lot of the experienced guys have stated that they tune by ear and that every drummer should develop the art.

I can't say that I disagree, but some of these guys haven't had 10, 20, 30 or whatever years of experience. Some may have less experience than that even if it were to measured in weeks.

At least they'll have something to go on while they develop their ears.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum tuners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot
This sums it up pretty well, & once you've learned to tune by ear, you do not need the dial thereby rendering it an interesting but absolutely unnecessary tool.

If you like gadgets, & enjoy fiddling around with stuff, & have money to spare, by all means buy a drum dial, but there'll never be one in my gig tool box. Tuning by ear is one of the most basic skills any drummer should learn anyway.
Well, I do like gadgets and I have money to spare, so I embrace the Drumdial. However, I don't like fiddling around with stuff, which is why I now use the Drumdial.

Tuning by ear is a great skill and I respect anyone who's gone through the time and trouble to learn it. For me, however, I want to spend more time playing and less time fiddling around with tuning. This is the early 21st century and if people are able to tune an instrument quickly with the aid of a machine, so much the better.

This is the same reason that all of my hand drums (djembe, ashikos, congas, tablas, dumbek, etc.) are bolt-and-lug tuned, instead of rope tuned. I've heard people at drum circles say, "Any good drummer should be able to develop the skill to rope tune." But rope tuning is tedious, unpredictable and time consuming. That's why all modern stick drums use lugs.

There's always a more efficient way to do something and very often that involves the use of some mechanical or electronic device.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:06 PM

Well then, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue then, if you like the drum dial, by all means knock yourself out. I don't blindly knock the thing, I borrowed one & tried it, it works, but just seemed to be an extra step in an otherwise simple procedure, didn't save any time at all.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Pioneer Member

On the drum dial web site there'a a chart that might be helpful to get started using the dial.

It can be found here:

http://drumdial.com/drummer.htm
Old 05-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Chip

Default Re: Drum Dials and tension watches

That chart comes with it though, did it come with yours?

If you know how to tune by ear, it's still useful. The first few times only saved about 10 minutes. Now I save about an hour. After seeing a fair few tuning videos, the way I do it without the dial is pretty bang on. It's all this stuff that makes tuning sound impossible. Get a DVD or video on it, and they'll be sounding sweet in no time. It's really not AS hard (still hard though....grrr) as people say. What I am going to do is ear training. That'll be cool.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
That chart comes with it though, did it come with yours?

If you know how to tune by ear, it's still useful. The first few times only saved about 10 minutes. Now I save about an hour. After seeing a fair few tuning videos, the way I do it without the dial is pretty bang on. It's all this stuff that makes tuning sound impossible. Get a DVD or video on it, and they'll be sounding sweet in no time. It's really not AS hard (still hard though....grrr) as people say. What I am going to do is ear training. That'll be cool.
My dial is a Tama. The chart that came with it had the settings for toms at 50, and the kick drum at 40. That didn't even take the wrinkles out of the heads.

Using my ears I eventually brought the toms up to around 75 and the kick to 70. I used the dial to make sure the tension was even.

My 12" rack tom sounds best around 80.

I'd like to see a sticky thread about drum dial settings. We could list the settings, heads, shell sizes, type of music, etc.

There are so many threads about "how to tune" on this board I think it would be a valuable resource for many of the drummers who are starting out and haven't developed ears yet.

One of the more unique approaches that I've seen was a drummer for the Grateful Dead. We played a concert with them way back when. He just tuned all of his drums two turns up from rod contact on the rims. He also detuned every time tore down. I thought it was a bit extreme, but his drums sounded good.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

OK guys

You can build yourself, drum watch tension (drum dialer) for very cheap and it's not even complicated...

http://www.hotdrum.net/forum/index.p...topic=4022&hl=

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=134980

Try it yourself (I'm still searching for a bargain on a dialer/tension meter)...

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Chip

Oh ok. Tama is in metric, DD is in imperial, making it less sensitive.

I have no troubles getting my 13" to sound good, I don't really use the tuner for it.

The 14 and 16" is a different story, I hate them. The bass still has the stock head so I don'tbother with it much.

We should start a tension watch/DD settings thread. Where abouts? Other Gear?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:53 AM

I just purchased one of these things, as the principle behind the thing is pretty sound. First of all, let me say that I CAN tune by ear, and have been doing so for a very long time. In fact, so far my drums sounded better (to me) pre-drumdial than post-drumdial. However, I am kind of weary of having to try and reproduce my sound every time I change out heads. Just gets kinda tiresome. So I thought I would get one of these bad boys, work with it to get my sound, and store the tension settings away for future turbo tuning.

Anway, like I said, I am still in the experimentation phase with this thing and the one thing I have not seen anyone do is post up numbers for their drums. Please, nobody post the little cheat sheet from the Drumdial.com site. I have multiple copies of it. What I am looking for is some "killer sound" numbers that you have been able to dial in with your own kits. My toms are 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 for the record. I use Evans G2 clear batter and Evans G1 clear reso. So... anyone have any numbers for me to play with? Many thanks in advance.

Edit: Hrm... reading back up the page I see that others are asking for the same thing. Guess I'm not the only one wanting this info. Anyone?

Old 05-07-2006, 03:39 PM

14 x 5.5 snare - 88 batter, 85 reso
13 x 11 rack - 75 batter and reso
16 x 16 floor - 75 batter and reso
18 x 16 floor - 73 batter and reso
22 x 18 kick - 72 batter and reso

I use 2-ply batters.
mo
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeGuy

Anway, like I said, I am still in the experimentation phase with this thing and the one thing I have not seen anyone do is post up numbers for their drums. Please, nobody post the little cheat sheet from the Drumdial.com site. I have multiple copies of it. What I am looking for is some "killer sound" numbers that you have been able to dial in with your own kits. My toms are 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 for the record. I use Evans G2 clear batter and Evans G1 clear reso. So... anyone have any numbers for me to play with? Many thanks in advance.

Edit: Hrm... reading back up the page I see that others are asking for the same thing. Guess I'm not the only one wanting this info. Anyone?
This is a good idea, Code Guy, but I think this information would be of limited use. The settings will vary by the diameter and depth of the drum, number of lugs, thickness of the shell, shell material, number of heads, thickness and plies. The exact same settings on one drum will be inapplicable to another drum unless they are very close in construction.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Pioneer Member

I've just added a 8 x 8 tom to my kit. After messing around with the tuning I brought the 8 and 10 inch toms up to 80. The 12 was already at 80 and the 14 and 16 are at 75.

The 8 and 10 sound like the drums on the Miami Vice theme song. Almost a roto tom kind of sound. The 16 still growls.

I'm using Aquarian clear Studio X heads for batters and Classic Clears on the reso side.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Drum Tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway
Jeff Ocheltree has a DVD out called "Trust Your Ears" and I highly recomend it. He learned his craft from Billy Cobham and was John Bonham's drum tech. Not only does he explain how to tune drums but also some ideas on recording and mic placement and some killer players on there as well. I use a yarn wrapped marimba mallet when I tune my drums as well as thumpin' the head with my finger and drumstick.
That dvd has very little tuning instruction on it. He talks about John Bonham's tuning, and taps the drums to show the differences, and mic placement for the "Bonham sound" but nowhere on the video does he sit down and say "this is how to tune a drum". He tunes up a vistalite bass drum reso head very quickly, but doesn't explain the how's and why's. He also changes out a batter head on a black beauty snare later, also done very quickly with none of his know how descibed. I have the dvd, I bought it thinking it would be a how to video based on the title "trust your ears" but its more of Jeff tooting his own horn and drummers he's worked with talking about Jeff and drum teching. I was very disappointed in the content. It doesn't even show a tech how to be a tech. The only reason this video is worth anything, are those green sparkle Ludwigs, and Danny Carey's Ocheltree/Paiste bronze drum set. I wish Jeff would do a better, more instructional video. A man with that much talent and experience deserves better.

About the drum dial...I bought a cheap set when I was getting back into drumming and was having a real battle trying to tune it. I never remember it being that hard to tune a drum. I bought the dial as a tool to help me get the head equally tensioned. The dial actually saves me an enormous amount of time getting the drum balanced. Its not perfect, and I usually have to tweak a few lugs to get them all in tune. One note though, if the bearing edges are poor, or if there are dings in the heads in the area under the dial, the readings will be off. The set I bought had the worst bearing edges I have ever seen, very uneven, and poorly executed. Truing up the edges revealed how bad they were. No tool or ear will get a good tuning out of a poorly constructed drum. Before I re-edged the drums I could not get the drum in tune with itself...with or without the dial. I think the construction of some entry level kits today(cost cutting steps, questionable quality control and cheap hardware) are the true culprits of the frustration of learning how to tune by ear. The drum dial is a quality tool that does what it is designed to do but the drum would have to able to tuned in the first place. The dial does get you to a point of resonable tuning very quickly, provides a reference point for future repeatability, and allows a beginner to "hear" what a evenly tensioned head is supposed to sound like. It also allowed me to have the freedom for experimentation without fear of never finding that sweet spot again.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
That dvd has very little tuning instruction on it
I agree. The DVD was interesting but in general a disappointment. It would have been much better had he gotten into the how to part. His comment about tuning by the feel of the rods was a little over the top. I don't doubt that he may be able to do it, but how do you teach someone to do that?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer
OK guys

You can build yourself, drum watch tension (drum dialer) for very cheap and it's not even complicated...

http://www.hotdrum.net/forum/index.p...topic=4022&hl=

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=134980

Try it yourself (I'm still searching for a bargain on a dialer/tension meter)...

That really works exactly the same as the drum dial??? im just gonna do that if that really works thats easy to do.... great post
Remo Heads
Email: hotsauce3n@aim.com

MY DRUMS
Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 AM

Default Drum Dial help... don't yell, I can tune by ear, just need to save some time

Alright well like i said..yea i have tuned by ear forever and i can to it very well..but i need to save some time alright because i like to tune them differently alot.

okay..i just need to know from anyone who has or does use one..how many points on the dial = a full note up/down on the scale?

thanks alot

and any other tips besides not using one will be accepted

i feel like a cheater using one but i can already tune by ear good enough
Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Consultant

Default Re: DRUM DIAL HELP..DONT YELL I CAN TUNE BY EAR JUST NEED TO SAVE SOME TIME

It's not cheating. That's like asking your guitar player if using an electronic tuner is cheating.

I use one and they work great.

Make sure to raise the tension incrementally and evenly across all of the lugs or you'll never get them all to come out equal.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: DRUM DIAL HELP..DONT YELL I CAN TUNE BY EAR JUST NEED TO SAVE SOME TIME

what about one of those evans tension drum keys, has anyone got tips for using them, or has anyone ever had any sucess cause I certainly havent.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Administrator

i also have a drumdial. i don't believe you can use them to tune to a key. this is because rims and heads do not sit perfectly or make a perfect match and so the tension is not an indicator of the note. most particularly from one drumset to the next.

no, the drum dial's one big advantage is that it helps get even tension across the whole head. i only tend to use mine when putting new heads on and for the first few tunings thereafter. then the head will be seated well and not stretched or warped and i can tune by ear from then on. i learned this because when i bought my tension watch i tried to tune my kit which had well used heads already on it. when things were the same across each lug i was amazed to find that some of the screws were buried deeply while otheres were just 2 quarter turns from coming out the lug...the head was warped. also inspite of the equal readings the sound was horrible. new heads and careful use lead to a quality drumsound which once established has remained easy to tune since then. the watch is a useful starting point but, as jeff ocheltree says, TRUST YOUR EARS.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Pioneer Member

i always had a few questions on this topic, and one has been answered as far as the insturment mentioned and how it works, but as far as tuning by ear... is there like a set way to tune consistantly... it cant really all just be what sounds good ? i mean ive heard some damn good sounded kits and wondered if there is a universle type guidline for tuning.....

now i remember one thread about tuning each head 5 octives i think higher or lower than the previous head.. is this correct? and how do you determine what that is.. b/c i dont know what 5 octives lower would sound like.. thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
now i remember one thread about tuning each head 5 octives i think higher or lower than the previous head.. is this correct? and how do you determine what that is.. b/c i dont know what 5 octives lower would sound like.. thanks

Great insight on the Drum Dial. I've considered getting one for a while.

Beats:
I've always tuned my kits to either "Here comes the bride", or "The theme from Star Wars" notes...I'm no music scholar, but I think The bride is 3rds, and Star Wars is 5ths. Some smart person here can clear that up for us, though, I'm sure.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I think Bride is 3rds, I've heard it used as intervals before with great effect. I'm not smart and I'm not good at music theory either, it's been a stumbling block.

An Octave difference between drums would be the same note in a higher or lower pitch, it would be also be practically impossible to tune like this unless you were tuning, say a roto tom then the next drum be a 14x12 Tom. Octave = 8 notes (A B C D E F G A). Tuning to an F, for instance, would put the 'A' a 3rd above it. Intervals are counted inclusively so a third = F+G+A. Hope that makes some sense.

This picture may help (cited from Wiki):

Old 06-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Pioneer Member

you had me until you typed :

Intervals are counted inclusively so a third = F+G+A. Hope that makes some sense.

@n2xlr8n

when you say you tune to "here comes the bride" or the "star wars theme" what does that actually mean.. you hum the tune while tuning your drums, haha? what part of the song do you use to tune the drum.. if you could just clear this up for me.. thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
i also have a drumdial. i don't believe you can use them to tune to a key. this is because rims and heads do not sit perfectly or make a perfect match and so the tension is not an indicator of the note. most particularly from one drumset to the next.

no, the drum dial's one big advantage is that it helps get even tension across the whole head. i only tend to use mine when putting new heads on and for the first few tunings thereafter. then the head will be seated well and not stretched or warped and i can tune by ear from then on. i learned this because when i bought my tension watch i tried to tune my kit which had well used heads already on it. when things were the same across each lug i was amazed to find that some of the screws were buried deeply while otheres were just 2 quarter turns from coming out the lug...the head was warped. also inspite of the equal readings the sound was horrible. new heads and careful use lead to a quality drumsound which once established has remained easy to tune since then. the watch is a useful starting point but, as jeff ocheltree says, TRUST YOUR EARS.

j
I have found this to be 100% true. A head that has been seated correctly with the drum dial is VERY easy to tune thereafter. It makes "regular" tuning so much easier that other guys are amazed at how quickly I can dial in my snare drum.

BTW, those devices that measure torque at the lug are nowhere near as good as the drum dial which measures actual head tension.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Pioneer Member

okay so say one buys new heads for his/her drums, uses the drum dial to get an even tension rating on all the lugs... how often after that should that person check the tension with the drum dial to make sure its not off so that the head can seat correctly? and you said you use the drum dail for the next few tunings to allow the head to seat correctly thus allowing the tuning sessions there after to be very easy?

i hope i made some sense.. thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
BTW, those devices that measure torque at the lug are nowhere near as good as the drum dial which measures actual head tension.
absolutely...i have the evans torque key. and it is useful to a degree but unless every lug has the same amount of wear on the thread, same lubrication, same amount of rust and the rim is not too warped, then the key is only marginally better than using the touch of your fingers on a normal key.

Quote:
okay so say one buys new heads for his/her drums, uses the drum dial to get an even tension rating on all the lugs... how often after that should that person check the tension with the drum dial to make sure its not off so that the head can seat correctly? and you said you use the drum dail for the next few tunings to allow the head to seat correctly thus allowing the tuning sessions there after to be very easy?
i tune the head up slightly tighter than i would ordinarily do (on a thursday)and leave it over night. next day i de-tune it a bit and then tune it up to where it is right with my ears using the dial again, then i gig it (friday) then i tune it again on saturday with the dial before the gig, then i leave it all week and retune it with the dial on the next friday afternoon. usually after that it is well seated and i leave the dial at home from then on and use my ear.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 06-29-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
@n2xlr8n

...you hum the tune while tuning your drums, haha? what part of the song do you use to tune the drum.. if you could just clear this up for me.. thanks

No problem:

You sing it. On a 5 pc kit, the low tom would be "here", the midddle tom would be "comes", and the high tom would be "the bride" : )

I have a older 10 pc Sonor Designer series kit that is a royal pain to tune.....so I bought a pitch pipe, lol.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Drum Dial help... don't yell, I can tune by ear, just need to save some time

I use the torque key for checking the rods on the snare between songs. I usually have a couple of rods that like to back out when I'm doing a lot of rim shots.

It may not be perfect, but it's real quick and close enough for rock and roll.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n
No problem:

You sing it. On a 5 pc kit, the low tom would be "here", the midddle tom would be "comes", and the high tom would be "the bride" : )

I have a older 10 pc Sonor Designer series kit that is a royal pain to tune.....so I bought a pitch pipe, lol.

wow, that easy eh? cool thanks !!