DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 AM

Default -need some info about yamaha DTX 550k-

im planning to buy the DTX 550k, but im really not sure if its worth the price....
also i wanted to know if its possible to expand the kit..
any information or tips would be appreciated

thank you
Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: -need some info about yamaha DTX 550k-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin1001 View Post
im planning to buy the DTX 550k, but im really not sure if its worth the price....
also i wanted to know if its possible to expand the kit..
any information or tips would be appreciated

thank you
The DTX550 is a nice kit...but the question you ask (is it worth it) really needs to be answered by YOU...I'd recommend that you try it out in person..if you like it and can afford it, then buy it....and yes it does allow for some expansion (i.e., you can split the tom and bass inputs on the back of the module)...
Old 12-18-2010, 02:29 AM

well ive tried it and i think its pretty good... my only concern is that it is pretty much the only drum set in that price range and and any better kits are way more expensive....
so i wanted to know if its actually a good choice

anyway thnx a lot i guess it is the kit im going to buy
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
well ive tried it and i think its pretty good... my only concern is that it is pretty much the only drum set in that price range and and any better kits are way more expensive....
so i wanted to know if its actually a good choice

anyway thnx a lot i guess it is the kit im going to buy
Yamaha generally are more reasonable (e-kits)..but compare very well against their more expensive counterparts (i.e., roland)...I think the DTX550 is a nice and compares very well against the td-9 which is a more expensive kit..
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
td-9 which is a more expensive kit..
Right here this is somehow the same price, so the original question "DTX550 or TD-9" is even more pertinent !!

http://www.baguetterie.fr/p32289/YAM...duct_info.html

http://www.baguetterie.fr/p30843/ROL...duct_info.html

The roland is cheaper !!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM

I have this kit.
The new snare pad is really nice- very quiet and realistic. But the tom pads and kick pad are loud. I don't want to hit them after the snare pad.

And you cannot expand this kit with more DTX pads.
If I had the money, I would buy a DTX900, but it's far too expensive for me at the moment.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 PM

IMO...after owning/playing the Alesis dm10, TD-12. I feel the yamaha kits have the most bang for the buck. The 550 is a very good sounding kit.

Roland is overpriced for what you get....your paying for a name sometimes. I played a td-12 and DTX3 for a week in my house at the same time. I could have bought either one...the yamaha was far superior and I feel my side by side comparison doesn't get any more realistic.
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderman View Post
I have this kit.
The new snare pad is really nice- very quiet and realistic. But the tom pads and kick pad are loud. I don't want to hit them after the snare pad.

And you cannot expand this kit with more DTX pads.
If I had the money, I would buy a DTX900, but it's far too expensive for me at the moment.
i think that you actually can expand it with more dtx pads since all the tom inputs are compatible with 3 zone pads... thats what i read somewhere

but anyways i wanted to say that i bought the 550k and im pretty happy with everything except the very weird hi hat. it doesnt seem to me that its pressure sensitive at all and im having a lot of problems playing goovy beats while opening and closing the hi hat. its either late or doesnt respond with the sound its supposed to generate at that moment. i really dnt know if its a mistake i made in setting it up or its the trigger that is not very responsive. do u have any of these issues and do u have any tips on fixing these?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
i think that you actually can expand it with more dtx pads since all the tom inputs are compatible with 3 zone pads... thats what i read somewhere

but anyways i wanted to say that i bought the 550k and im pretty happy with everything except the very weird hi hat. it doesnt seem to me that its pressure sensitive at all and im having a lot of problems playing goovy beats while opening and closing the hi hat. its either late or doesnt respond with the sound its supposed to generate at that moment. i really dnt know if its a mistake i made in setting it up or its the trigger that is not very responsive. do u have any of these issues and do u have any tips on fixing these?
The DTX550 does not have a pressure sensitive hihat (that feature comes from the module..BTW..the DTX900 module does have this feature)...however the hihat should still play realistically (other than that feature)...so you probably don't have the settings right..
Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
The DTX550 does not have a pressure sensitive hihat (that feature comes from the module..BTW..the DTX900 module does have this feature)...however the hihat should still play realistically (other than that feature)...so you probably don't have the settings right..
OH SNAP.... one of the reasons that i bought the 550 was that i thought it has the pressure sensitive hi hat XD i guess i screwed up lol

but anyway im gonna play around with the settings and set it up

thnx a lot dude
Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

No problem...that's a nice kit anyway..has some real nice samples loaded..and the new TCS snare pad is real nice...
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM

I just got me a DTX550K for Xmas with my bonus. I have two accoustic kits, but I am in a condo which makes it impossible to play them at home. I wanted something for at home play that was not too big, but not crap either.

I really, really like this kit. No noise complaints yet about the kick pedal. I have yet to buy foam padding to put under the matt the kit is on. I have heard sometimes people get noise complaints from their below neighbour because of the sound the kick pedal makes.