DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Default Hemp Drums

I was thinking...

...if wood is a fibrous material and is used to make drum kits, and hemp can also be used as great source of strong fibres...could you make a drum kit out of shells made from hemp?

I heard that a snare drum has been made from hemp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NBW6bN7PM

and read that djembes have also been made from hemp:
http://www.waveriders.org/

...and what about heads? I know that Remo makes Fiberskyn heads (but the fibers made from Mylar)...so what about hemp to make heads?

Hemp is the most useful crop ever cultivated so it would be awesome to for something like hemp to be put to more use other than primarily rope and canvas.

I have read somewhere that 1 acre of hemp will produce as much paper as 4 acres of trees used for paper, because of its high fibre content. So less trees (that take quite some time to grow) being cut down could be a good thing.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Hemp Drums

Funny that you mention this...I was just thinking of alternate materials for heads besides plastic and calf...I never considered hemp. It certainly should be strong enough...but the tone? My guess is it would sound close to Kevlar, also a strong fiber, but who knows..Not too crazy about Kevlar. Very crazy about hemp though.

Here's a link to everything you need to know about natures most amazing plant:

http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/chapter-one/

At the end of each chapter is a link to the next chapter. There's 16 chapters. Truly an education.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Crazy8s

There is to be no mention whatsoever of any substance that has provided humanity with food, shelter, clothing, and pain relief for many thousands of years.

Tempus makes drums from hemp, and they are known as Hempus.

I warn you though...if you play hemp drums, they are stepping stone to much harder drums which could leave you in an alley with a drumstick in your arm.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
There is to be no mention whatsoever of any substance that has provided humanity with food, shelter, clothing, and pain relief for many thousands of years.

Tempus makes drums from hemp, and they are known as Hempus.

I warn you though...if you play hemp drums, they are stepping stone to much harder drums which could leave you in an alley with a drumstick in your arm.
And it's Crazy8s FTW! :)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
What do you mean?

Quote:
Funny that you mention this...I was just thinking of alternate materials for heads besides plastic and calf...I never considered hemp. It certainly should be strong enough...but the tone? My guess is it would sound close to Kevlar, also a strong fiber, but who knows..Not too crazy about Kevlar. Very crazy about hemp though.

Here's a link to everything you need to know about natures most amazing plant:

http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/chapter-one/

At the end of each chapter is a link to the next chapter. There's 16 chapters. Truly an education.
Hemp is different from Weed.

Hemp is the most versatile and one of the most easiest to grow crops around. Hemp fibre is used to make ropes and for a long time was used for ship sails. Henry Ford even had a car made with a body made of a plastic made from hemp (very strong and lightweight, similar to carbon fiber) and even ran the engine on hemp oil.

Many of the uses for crude oil are filled by hemp.

It is unfortunate that the US government had made hemp (along with the weed ban) illegal. Hemp is different to weed, although they are both of the Cannabis genus, and are often of the same species, hemp is bred for fibre, oil and seeds...while the other, for its psychedelic purposes.

Many plants have great uses, how can a government just ban a certain plant like that?...It was definitely for business reasons, oil companies and cotton growers didn't want this useful plant as competition.

Why aren't poppy seeds banned? - they can be used to plant poppies to make opiates.

...and the funny thing is the US still consumes imported hemp products (from places like Canada), so basically growing hemp in the US is illegal, but consuming hemp oil (as a nutrition supplement) is strangely legal...the ban must be about big business.

...and industrial hemp has very low amounts of the psychoactive compound and the myth of hiding weed in a hemp field is pretty silly as cross-pollination will produce plants with less psychedelic properties.

There needs to be more research done to the uses of hemp, I imagine it being much more used in the near future as crude oil quickly runs out.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Good thoughts, BD. That YouTube was an eye-opener. Nice snare drum! If it caught on it would be heaps more environmentally friendly. Probably more economical too. I agree that it's criminal how under utilised the plant is. I expect the do-gooders figure the crops would provide cover for hemp crops with high THC content. Or they just disapprove because.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Probably more economical too. I agree that it's criminal how under utilised the plant is............................Or they just disapprove because.
Crushed by the might of the cotton industry.....or so goes the conspiracy theory. With an industry that size at stake, it's not economical for all.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Crushed by the might of the cotton industry.....or so goes the conspiracy theory. With an industry that size at stake, it's not economical for all.
Yeah, it sounds like a conspiracy theory to me - all the emotional loading of the word "drugs" has to be the main factor behind the under-utilisation of hemp. After all, hemp paper, oil, rope and drums (and furniture?) is no threat to the Cubby Station and co.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:58 PM
nhzoso

LOL, well you could go with a wacky conspiracy theory , (lord knows we need more of them) or do some research and come up with some facts like

"Hemp fibre is characterised by undesirable susceptibility to moisture and rot due to moulds and mildews and the like. It is also characterized by a strong, naturally-occurring odour which makes it unacceptable as a substitute for other odourless fibres. Moreover, hemp fibre in its natural spun state is susceptible to fraying and has a rough hand and feel. A need therefore remains for a hemp product which is suitably strong, soft, flexible, moisture-resistant and rot-resistant and generally suitable for substitution in applications previously focused on the cotton, paper and petroleum-fibre industries."

Nahh lets stick with blaming the mean ol cotton industry : )
Old 12-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Great! You can have your drum and smoke it too!

Last edited by aydee; 12-16-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Historically, woven heads haven't fared well against Mylar or hide. Besides Duraline's Kevlar heads (and Bear's variation of the same,) there was the Compo cloth head from the late '80s I think. The problem was that neither resonated well enough to make a usable tone, and it was especially evident on toms. Even when Bear and and Compo tried coating/sealing the fibers so they didn't breathe the air instead of vibrating from it, it wasn't a good enough solution for success.

I'm not sure if Canasonic was also a cloth-typewoven head, but those are also long gone.

So, introducing another woven head? Nah. The physics of cloth doesn't make for a sound that drummers want.

Bermuda
Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

The drum sounds decent enough. They just need an endorser, like Gregg "Cana" Bissonette...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 PM

Yeah...it sounds good enough but it looks like Ludwig made the drum, with the rod splay!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
The drum sounds decent enough. They just need an endorser, like Gregg "Cana" Bissonette...
LOL, or Marvin 'Spliffy' Smith..
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
LOL, or Marvin 'Spliffy' Smith..
Or even Jason Bongham...

Old 12-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Or even Jason Bongham...
Neal Pot?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Max Roach... : I

Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Max Roach... : I

Okay...you win! :D

Stony Williams

Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Stony Williams
Its a tie!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Speaker cones are being made from Hemp fibre these days. Not surprising that it started in Marin at Broun Sound. ;-) The Hemp fiber is stiffer than than pulp fibers commonly used. The thing that would make it unsuitable for a drum but works great for a speaker cone is that it has good damping characteristics. Hemp speakers have really even and solid LF response. They tend to have more damped highs (okay, no pun intended) ending up more dark in the overall scheme of things.

Perhaps a hemp reinforced film like a Fiberskyn. It would have more natural damping. Kind of the pinstripe or EC2 of fiber skin heads. Might work tuned up high without sounding so bongoish.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
LOL, well you could go with a wacky conspiracy theory , (lord knows we need more of them) or do some research and come up with some facts like

"Hemp fibre is characterised by undesirable susceptibility to moisture and rot due to moulds and mildews and the like. It is also characterized by a strong, naturally-occurring odour which makes it unacceptable as a substitute for other odourless fibres. Moreover, hemp fibre in its natural spun state is susceptible to fraying and has a rough hand and feel. A need therefore remains for a hemp product which is suitably strong, soft, flexible, moisture-resistant and rot-resistant and generally suitable for substitution in applications previously focused on the cotton, paper and petroleum-fibre industries."

Could you reveal the source of this info?
Hemp was the only fibre that could make the voyage from Europe to the Americas without their sails rotting from the salt air, so I seriously question the truth in these statements.
Rough hand feel? Strong odor? Fraying? All lies.
This sounds like misinformation spread by those who would stand to lose a lot if hemp was legalized. Hemp is the victim of one of the most effective smear campaigns of the last century, and the majority of people still believe this crock, to the detriment of our economy and society as a whole.
What you quoted are all lies.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Perhaps a hemp reinforced film like a Fiberskyn.
I wonder if it would flake on you over time? It might give you a really mellow sound. If you gave it some yummy smacks, would it give you good crack?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Neal Pot?

We can't leave out the new drummer for ACDC- Phil Budd?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Honorable mention must go to Eagles drummer Don Hemply, after all he did sing about the warm smell of colitas...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Might make a good high tom, especially for the grossly under-appreciated ex DW member (according to himself), Bongo John!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
We can't leave out the new drummer for ACDC- Phil Budd?
I still think nobody could burn like Buddy Rich!!!

Thank you, thank you...

Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post

Bro, humans have used cannibis for thousands of years and great civilizations were built upon its use and trade. Ours being one of them.

Every single statement in the paragraph you quoted is false.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

There are way too many weed jokes in this thread.

The drum sounds great, I'd be interested in learning how Tempus used the fibers to make the shell.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
This is why I wish we could "Like" peoples replys on this forum, too funny!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post

The drum sounds great, I'd be interested in learning how Tempus used the fibers to make the shell.
They are made in much the same way that fiberglass items are laminated. I've not had my hands on a Tempus Hempus drum, but I believe they are made using 'random-mat' fibers embedded in polyurethane. Same way fiberglass boats and hot-tubs are made, but using hemp fibers instead of fiberglass.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

nhzoso's information seems to have come from here: http://weedforneed.com/tag/usa/

My problem with his comment is that no one here was actually buying the conspiracy theory anyway ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post

... and don't forget Pot Potrillo :)

I was surprised at how good the drum sounded. I thought you'd need a hardwood to get a good sound. I expect they would have sealed the wood in the shell.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I believe they are made using 'random-mat' fibers embedded in polyurethane. Same way fiberglass boats and hot-tubs are made, but using hemp fibers instead of fiberglass.
Bingo. I have held and played one. They are pretty rad. They are made exactly like boats.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
nhzoso's information seems to have come from here: http://weedforneed.com/tag/usa/

... and don't forget Pot Potrillo :).
Pot Potrillo gets my vote, that's a scream!

Pol that website totally contradicts itself. Basically what it says is this:

Pros: Historically, it's been proven to be really good

Cons: It's not really that good

You gotta laugh. Caveat Emptor (sp?)
Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

I have seen several TV news programs during the past twenty or so years that have dealt with the US laws against Hemp. A 60 Minutes show comes to mind recently.
The fact is that Hemp has so little THC content that if one were to try and smoke it in an effort to get high, One would become ill or die from smoke inhalation long before a high was reached.

The ileagalization of Hemp is purely a corrupt political maneuver from industrial leaders and personal interests groups.
Typical American corrupt voodoo politics at play.
Just another example of what happens when idiots run the world!

Hemp is the strongest natural fiber on the planet and we don't use it because of pure stupidity!
It has been used successfully for thousands of years to make all kinds of wonderful products.

Good Thread!

Nice drum!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

A drum that really makes you want to practice your roll.

*rimshot* Thank you! We're here all week! Tip your waitress!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:27 AM
nhzoso

Quote:

My problem with his comment is that no one here was actually buying the conspiracy theory anyway ...

... and don't forget Pot Potrillo :).
Well if you read 2 of the responses to my post I think you will find a few who are ACTUALLY BUYING IT.. Sorry I know I am not part of the click, just thought a different opinion is nice every now and then..

Whatever I really do not care one way or the other folks life is too short.. sorry if I really upset someone over such a frivolous subject, won't happen again on my part. Viva la Hemp!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:37 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Here's a link to a YouTube that states that you can cure CANCER with this plant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0psJhQHk_GI
It's a pretty amazing and sad story.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

More info on products made from Hemp.
Also info about recent 2009 US legislation on the growing of Hemp in the US.

-The first drafts of the Declaration of Independence were printed on hemp paper.

-Ben Franklin owned a mill that made hemp paper.

-The first American flag was made out of hemp.

http://www.ecomall.com/biz/hemp.htm

Last edited by bobdadruma; 12-17-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Silver Member

I guess that the Tempus hemp snare would be a "Gateway" Drum
Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
So, introducing another woven head? Nah. The physics of cloth doesn't make for a sound that drummers want.
I don't mean traditional hemp canvas cloth...

Quote:
Perhaps a hemp reinforced film like a Fiberskyn. It would have more natural damping. Kind of the pinstripe or EC2 of fiber skin heads. Might work tuned up high without sounding so bongoish.
That's what I mean, like Fiberskyn heads.

Quote:
Here's a link to a YouTube that states that you can cure CANCER with this plant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0psJhQHk_GI
It's a pretty amazing and sad story.
Even a medicinal use, BTW don't confuse hemp and weed, that hemp oil is actually made to have high THC levels. So what is being done there is illegal, but it is being used to heal against ailments.