DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 PM

Default What is a good recording software for drums?

I have an Alesis electric kit and a pearl double bass kit with CAD 7 mics. I want to use both for recording. I don't know a lot about recording software and there are so many choices out there. Please give me your opinion on a good program for a good price.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Re: What is a good recording software for drums?

Reaper lets you try their fully functioning DAW software for free, and it's pretty cheap for the "non-commercial" version. The commercial version is also cheap, too.

MultitrackStudio is another inexpensive option, and it is very easy to learn.

If you have a Mac, GarageBand is cheap (I think it is free, but I don't have a Mac) and also easy to learn, from what I've heard.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM

Reaper is KILLER

If you want free with less capability try Audacity
Old 12-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

As BradGunnerSGT said, if you have a Mac, Garageband is a great way to get started, because it is indeed free. Its actually fairly powerful too, I still use it all the time, because it is quick and easy to jot down musical ideas with it. I use it as sort of a notepad!

Other than that, Logic and Pro Tools are both amazing. They're somewhat expensive, but thats the stuff that the pros use.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

What kind of computer do you currently have? And are you aware there are alternatives other than having to record into a computer? The power of your computer will determine what you can do in most cases.

I think the current marketing is that everyone use a computer for everything nowadays, but there are alternatives if you're willing to look out for them. Sometimes recording to computer actually ends up costing more in time and money if all you want to do is throw some mics up and record yourself and work on micing techniques. So it would be worth it to look into other ways of doing what you want to do, too. Actually, determine what you really want to do with your recording -all the way through as to what you want to do with them. For instance, uploading to YouTube? Make a CD? Just to hear yourself back? The end product will determine how you do it. Think it through, and be aware of ways to get it done, then choose a method and go for it!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

Remember that if you're looking to multi-mic a kit, you are going to need an interface with enough inputs and preamps for that many mics. Many entry level interfaces are two input only. Basic drum recording usually has at least 4 channels, kick, snare and stereo overheads. If you want to get fancy and mic all the toms and hat individually, you're into at least an 8 channel interface. This will probably cost more than the software.

I think Bo is kind of suggesting looking into some integrated hard disk recorder like the ones Roland or Tascam make. That is likely to have 8 mic inputs and all the other necessary bits to do basic recording. I find the editing aspect of them a pain, but if you just want to plug in a handful of mics, hit record and then play back, it may be easier.

If you are looking to mess around with the recording, the information and access to everything on a computer screen makes life a lot easier. Although activating things though a mouse is a bit clunky. Dedicated control surfaces connected to the computer make that easier, but this all adds up.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Remember that if you're looking to multi-mic a kit, you are going to need an interface with enough inputs and preamps for that many mics. Many entry level interfaces are two input only. Basic drum recording usually has at least 4 channels, kick, snare and stereo overheads. If you want to get fancy and mic all the toms and hat individually, you're into at least an 8 channel interface. This will probably cost more than the software.

I think Bo is kind of suggesting looking into some integrated hard disk recorder like the ones Roland or Tascam make. That is likely to have 8 mic inputs and all the other necessary bits to do basic recording. I find the editing aspect of them a pain, but if you just want to plug in a handful of mics, hit record and then play back, it may be easier.

If you are looking to mess around with the recording, the information and access to everything on a computer screen makes life a lot easier. Although activating things though a mouse is a bit clunky. Dedicated control surfaces connected to the computer make that easier, but this all adds up.
Yep. I'm suggesting something else. But I'm more suggesting determining what you (the OP) want to do and then finding a way to do it. If you have the money for a full-blown 8-input interface for your super-powered computer that can actually add effects and eq to your tracks in real time without chocking on the processing, then that's cool. On my dedicated recorder, I can also take all those tracks and dump them into a DAW in my computer too, but it is also a standalone deck. I like having the options. I can use my standalone recorder in the field and then come home and dump each track into GarageBand and edit away in there if I had to.

And mind you, this is only money being spent on the interface, the software, and possibly a new computer upgrade. What if you're new to this whole thing and have to buy mics, stands, cables, headphones....this is every music store retailers' dream! There's all kinds of things you can buy. That's why I think it's important to figure what you want to do before you buy anything, then find the tools to help you do it.

I started a thread here explaining how I've been doing it. People have asked how I've been making my YouTube videos, and I explained it here:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69369
Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 AM

I have a 2 year old HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop. I have enough mics to mic all 5 toms, my snare, both kicks, and 4 condenser mics for cymbals....have yet to get cables for them so haven't used them yet they are new. I hadn't put much thought into other alternatives other than computer for recording. My purpose is to do youtube videos, track some samples and track songs for future band. I dont want to overdue it i guess but I do want to make sure I have the best route on a budget. I appreciate the input.