DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-30-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

hey steve i started playing with a country rock group called RodeoDrive (www.rodeodrive.8m.com) and i have a uestion about an up comming tour. Right now i run a click,moniter and a laptop through my peavey mixer in to in-ears but i am thinking a floor moniter would be a much easier rig to get around. But i dont want the whole place to hear the click...What should I do? Or what set up doues tommy use?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:57 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_tucker
hey steve i started playing with a country rock group called RodeoDrive (www.rodeodrive.8m.com) and i have a uestion about an up comming tour. Right now i run a click,moniter and a laptop through my peavey mixer in to in-ears but i am thinking a floor moniter would be a much easier rig to get around. But i dont want the whole place to hear the click...What should I do? Or what set up doues tommy use?
Bro, I would stick with your current setup... if you use a wedge, there is no way for you to still have the click without the audience hearing it... you could possibly streamline your current setup a bit... PM me with a detailed description of the rig and see if I can help you out....
STB Site
Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 PM

Hi Steve.
Tell please, you teching for Tommy only on tour, or and in the studio too?
Sikorsky band

Owner/Editor www.playdrums.ru
Old 05-07-2006, 02:42 PM

Hey Steve, I am a HUGE Motley fan and of course a HUGE Tommy fan, and wanted to Thank You for showing us a up front and detailed view of his current kit, all I can say is, you have THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD, ok maybe the guy that hires at the strip clubs has a better gig than you, but thats it, other than that, I want your job, lol. I do have one question though, when you were showing Tommy's cymbal layout, you show that he is playing a 22" oriental china trash, according to Zildjian.com they show him playing a 20" oriental as well as a 11" oriental china right next to his hi hats, since you have hands on with his kit I am sure you are right, but I was just curious? Thanks for any info. YOU DA MAN!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleetech

On a separate note: I'm teching for Dave Lombardo and Slayer next week for their taping on the Henry Rollins Show on the iFC channel... check your local listings... :)
that sounds awesome. let us know how it goes. miss ya, bro!

Last edited by DogBreath; 08-31-2006 at 11:22 PM. Reason: edited to fix formatting.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INXSDRUMTECH

Mr. Burr! Hey, sorry I missed your call yesterday. I'll buzz you today!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 AM

wow...great site and thread. i am brand new but i think i have a question not asked yet...is there a pedal hooked up to that monster 32 inch kick? what the heck does he use it for?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by e7z
Hi Steve.
Tell please, you teching for Tommy only on tour, or and in the studio too?
All of the above my friend!
STB Site
Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 AM
PRO Drum Tech

[quote=INXSDRUMTECH][quote=tleetech]

On a separate note: I'm teching for Dave Lombardo and Slayer next week for their taping on the Henry Rollins Show on the iFC channel... check your local listings... :)
Quote:

It got cancelled last minute due to an illness in the band.... miss you too T.M.!!!!
STB Site
Old 05-12-2006, 11:54 AM

dear tleetech! i has sent you private message. please, give me answer.
Thank you.
Sikorsky band

Old 05-13-2006, 01:43 PM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by e7z
dear tleetech! i has sent you private message. please, give me answer.
Thank you.
Sent you a reply. Hope we can work out the interview.
STB Site
Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 AM

Hi Steve!

Thanks. I need time till Thursday.

Sasha.

It's my name :)
Sikorsky band

Old 05-16-2006, 12:42 AM

Hey Steve, love the thread, its awsome to find all this stuff out about Tommy's kit.

Anyways, I'm a HUGE Tommy fan, went to see the Crue at Copps Coliseum back in march, there were absolutely amazing!!

Well I have more of a request than a question. I've looked at all the pics on the thread, but I still cant seem to find a good pic of how all the hardware is mounted, like I can't see how the ride stand is mounted on to the rack for instance. So I want to know if it would be possible for you to send me pics of the kit as your setting it up, because you see, I study some of the best kits in the world and how everything is set up, but i dont seem to know how its all set up for Tommy. So it would be great if you could send them to my e-mail, goblet_of_fire4@hotmail.com.

Thanks, Mike.

P.S. Think it would be possible for me to get Tommy's kit for free once he decides to move on to a new kit for another tour?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 AM

he stevo wts up man hey i was wondering if you ahve any more details abotu the supernova kit or any plans of motle ycrue planning.
you are tha man stevo
Old 05-17-2006, 03:58 AM

Hey Steve,

Wow... this is an awesome thread. I just spent like the last 2 hours reading every post in detail. It's way cool that you're out here answering some ?'s.

First kind of a silly question/observation. I noticed on the DVD Tommy tries the rimshot/bounce a number of times and doesn't get it. That must have bummed him out. Anyway, I was at the show in Lincoln a few weeks back and the guy was just killer. I think I saw him try it like 10 times and caught every one. I noticed though that after every time he caught it he would look back over his left shoulder at something. What's he looking at? I noticed in the video you posted he does the same thing after catching it. Is he kind of razzing you whenever he gets it or what?

On the DW9000 pedals, is he playing them backwards? I've seen some guys do it one way and a few this way. Seems like his way gives the drum a little more kick and less boomy.

On the HiHat, is that a special rig without the legs or did you just take them off the stand?

Finally, I love the ashtray but where's the drink holder? I know it's there somewhere...

Later man!
Doug
Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 AM

hi steve, first of all Iam new to this site and man Iam blown away! secon a quick ? has Tommy ever considered producing a band or bands .and was wondering how often does tommy practice just on his own. thanks, k dog
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLee_fanatic21
Hey Steve, love the thread, its awsome to find all this stuff out about Tommy's kit.
Anyways, I'm a HUGE Tommy fan, went to see the Crue at Copps Coliseum back in march, there were absolutely amazing!!
Well I have more of a request than a question. I've looked at all the pics on the thread, but I still cant seem to find a good pic of how all the hardware is mounted, like I can't see how the ride stand is mounted on to the rack for instance. So I want to know if it would be possible for you to send me pics of the kit as your setting it up, because you see, I study some of the best kits in the world and how everything is set up, but i dont seem to know how its all set up for Tommy. So it would be great if you could send them to my e-mail, goblet_of_fire4@hotmail.com.
Thanks, Mike.
P.S. Think it would be possible for me to get Tommy's kit for free once he decides to move on to a new kit for another tour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredomolina
hey steevo whats up man hey i was wondering if you have any more details about the supernova kit or any plans of motley crue planning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowBell
Wow... this is an awesome thread. I just spent like the last 2 hours reading every post in detail. It's way cool that you're out here answering some ?'s.
1)First kind of a silly question/observation. I noticed on the DVD Tommy tries the rimshot/bounce a number of times and doesn't get it. That must have bummed him out. Anyway, I was at the show in Lincoln a few weeks back and the guy was just killer. I think I saw him try it like 10 times and caught every one. I noticed though that after every time he caught it he would look back over his left shoulder at something. What's he looking at? I noticed in the video you posted he does the same thing after catching it. Is he kind of razzing you whenever he gets it or what?
2)On the DW9000 pedals, is he playing them backwards? I've seen some guys do it one way and a few this way. Seems like his way gives the drum a little more kick and less boomy.
3)On the HiHat, is that a special rig without the legs or did you just take them off the stand?
4)Finally, I love the ashtray but where's the drink holder? I know it's there somewhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumer3914
hi steve, first of all Iam new to this site and man Iam blown away! secon a quick ? has Tommy ever considered producing a band or bands .and was wondering how often does tommy practice just on his own. thanks, k dog
Thanks to all you guys for the kind words!!! I had no idea about these new posts... I haven't checked up on the thread lately, I apologize. Here we go:

Mr. Fanatic- I will look through all my pics to see if I have any of me setting up that part of the kit so you can see the ride mount. It is a DW but has been cut VERY short to make it cleaner looking. No dice on the kit though my friend, sorry.

Alfredo- no new plans on the Supernova kit; we just started preproduction for the record. The Motley kit will stay the same for the upcoming show in July in Wisconsin.

MrCowBell- I'm glad you enjoyed reading the whole thread; that's alot of posts! :) I numbered your questions above to separate the answers. 1) The DVD was filmed very early in the tour last year; which contributed to the inconsistency in the flips. Tommy has settled in since then(as you saw at Copps) that he nows catches 99% of all tosses. The look he is giving afterwards is down towards me in drum world. We have sort of an inside joke about the stick flips, and all the ones he catches he either looks down at me, or at our pyro shooter on the opposite side. It's become quite an enjoyable part of the show for me. 2) Yes, the beaters are on the plastic side on the 9000. It gives the kick a little more attack. 3)It's a standard 9000 2-leg hi-hat stand that has had the legs taken off. 4) The drink holder is mounted on the far left rack leg, if you're looking at the kit from T's perspective.

drumer3914- Tommy has produced bands in the past; but currently he is fully involved in Supernova, etc. His practice schedule on the drums is really only when he's in the studio recording. He is involved in many other facets of the industry that prevents him from maintaining a regimental practice schedule.

Hope this answers all the questions!!!! Thanks again!
STB Site
Old 05-19-2006, 03:58 AM

Where & When are the Crue planning on visiting Wi. I am kinda pissed that I missed the shows. I did not even know they were touring until I saw the making of Carnival DVD on INHD. The last time I saw the crue T was spinning & playing Pearl. Thanks in advance.
Corey
Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 AM

Hey Steve, Thanks for all your usefull info. on here. One question, At the begining of TL's drum solo, he is triggering a electronic sound clip " Lets get dirty, lets get XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" by hitting one of the Hart dynamics electronic drum pads, can you tell me how or where I can get that sound clip. Thanks for any info. that you can give!!

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 05-21-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: VIRGIL DONATI

Quote:
VIRGIL DONATI IS NOT HUMAN!!!! I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE BAKED POTATO IN L.A. THAT GUY IS VERY VERY GOOD! WOW!

On a seperate note: I'm in the design stages for the Supernova drum set. I'd love to hear ideas from you guys on Tommy's new setup. Hit me up! Late!

hey steve.....i'm going back to a double kick set-up, and i'm noticing on that pic of tommy's kit, the 2 pedals to the left, but no beater....is he using a double pedal?
i'm thinking of doing that until i can pick up a couple of new pedals.......

and what else have you got coming up tech -wise in the near future??

and yes.....virgil donati is a freak of nature.....i'd give a testicle to play like that......
Old 05-22-2006, 06:06 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyhooligan
Hey Steve, Thanks for all your usefull info. on here. One question, At the begining of TL's drum solo, he is triggering a electronic sound clip " Lets get dirty, lets get XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" by hitting one of the Hart dynamics electronic drum pads, can you tell me how or where I can get that sound clip. Thanks for any info. that you can give!!
Hey bro! Those samples I believe are original Tommy samples... I'm not sure though so I'll ask him tomorrow when I see him. If he OK's it; I'll send them to you. Late!
STB Site
Old 05-22-2006, 06:13 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Default Re: VIRGIL DONATI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone
hey steve.....i'm going back to a double kick set-up, and i'm noticing on that pic of tommy's kit, the 2 pedals to the left, but no beater....is he using a double pedal?
i'm thinking of doing that until i can pick up a couple of new pedals.......

and what else have you got coming up tech -wise in the near future??

and yes.....virgil donati is a freak of nature.....i'd give a testicle to play like that......
Hey T-bone! Tommy is using a double pedal on the 26 kick for the Motley tour. It's SOOOOO much easier(and consistent) for myself and the audio engineers to only have one kick to mic, tune, etc. I don't think it's any different than 2 kicks w/pedals; the 32" kick was going to be used, but no remote pedal could be designed to accommodate Tommy's setup.
As far as new work- I'm currently in the studio with Tommy and Supernova(engineering); we're doing a thing in Vegas this week, and I tech all of T's DJ gigs as well. So pretty much just full time with Tommy for the rest of the year. Hope that helps! Late!
STB Site
Old 05-22-2006, 06:21 AM

Great thread. I'm new to DW but I read the whole thing over the weekend. Thanks Steevo.

I caught Crue here in Houston recently and the show was amazing. A couple of camera phone pics here:

http://www.johnlittle.org/2006/03/motley-crue-toyota-center.html

My friends still insist that I was loud enough to catch TL's attention when he was playing around with the camera and spotlight. Maybe I was...dunno..damn vodka :)
Old 05-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Pioneer Member

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but how did you know you wanted to be a drum tech? Did you just realize you were great at tuning drums and just went for it? Or was it more of a spontaneous thing? One more question, did you used to practice tuning drums?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 PM

Hey, Steve, i've got a question! What you can advice me, I'm gonna to record my drum parts for a new album soon, have found the studio with prices we can afford, they 've got a standart 5 piece kit (Premier Cabria, as I can remember..) there, a bunch of Shure and Audio-Technica's, and they've offered me to record all of the drum stuff on Telefunken 15track(+1 timecode) analog tape recorder, should I go for it, or it is easier to go for a digital recording to save a few $$$( cuz I think it'll take much more time mixing analog)? I should do two long songs with much of double bass work(12:00 and 17:00 minutes) and I afraid I'll not be able to record the whole song in one take. And is there any difference in quality between this two ways of recording?

Cant wait yer reply, thanx in advance....

Max.

Last edited by MAX ZNAEVSKY; 05-23-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:11 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX ZNAEVSKY
Hey, Steve, i've got a question! What you can advice me, I'm gonna to record my drum parts for a new album soon, have found the studio with prices we can afford, they 've got a standart 5 piece kit (Premier Cabria, as I can remember..) there, a bunch of Shure and Audio-Technica's, and they've offered me to record all of the drum stuff on Telefunken 15track(+1 timecode) analog tape recorder, should I go for it, or it is easier to go for a digital recording to save a few $$$( cuz I think it'll take much more time mixing analog)? I should do two long songs with much of double bass work(12:00 and 17:00 minutes) and I afraid I'll not be able to record the whole song in one take. And is there any difference in quality between this two ways of recording?

Cant wait yer reply, thanx in advance....

Max.
Hey Max! You asked THE ETERNAL QUESTION among engineers/prodcuers/audiophiles. First off, I LOVE the warm sound that analog tape gives drums when they are recorded. Matt Sorum records to 2" analog tape before dumping the audio into Pro Tools for editing. That being said I am an avid Pro Tools user. Digital recording is soooo much easier to edit and mix than tape. I'm currently engineering preproduction rehearsals for Tommy's new project, "Supernova," and we've done three songs, all tracks in three days; all thanks to the editing power and speed of digital recording. You'll be able to record your longer songs in pieces, without any loss of feel or intensity. Full takes are always best, of course, but long songs like your's, are ultimately finished quicker when done on computer. Hope this helps, let me know how it goes! Late!
STB Site
Old 05-24-2006, 03:48 PM

Thanks so much Steve, it'll help anyway!! I have a lack of time in the studio, so probably I'll go for a digital.

btw, Steve, can I ask you later about some moments in making and processing sound?

Max.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:28 AM

Hey Steve, Mr. Fanatic once again,

My question regards the drumming music industry. Drumming is my life, and nothing else - hell i've even lost a couple of girlfriends because of it - well im finishing high school next year and i don't really have anything in mind lined up in terms of further education or real work seeing as how I would love nothing more that to play music for the world with my band. But if that dosnt work out, because we both know that chances are very slim for that, I would love to do something in the music industry such as a drum tech like yourself. So how could I make that a reality, after I finish high school? Or even any chance of getting some help from you seeing as how your living my dream?

Mr. Fanatic
Old 05-28-2006, 08:58 PM

Hey Steve,

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info.

There has been some discussion about how Tommy's bass drum sound is created using mics and a sample. How are the other drum sounds created? Are the samples that are triggered from the toms and the snare recordings of Tommy's drums or are they additional sounds that are used to enhance and compliment the accoustic sounds?

Also, would you be able to describe the tunings of Tommy's drums?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 AM

EL STEVO!!!

Ive got some questions,bud.
But first let me say "thank you" for the opportunity to speak to someone who works with the drums I most admire!

Now, my questions.
(sorry if they're silly...but damn i feel giddy!!!)
:)

1.Im wondering what notes are stamped in Tommy's drum shells?
2.Do you tune his drums to a specific note?
3.I know you said the drum rack is bolted to the riser, but how do you keep the bass drums from sliding forward?
4. In the pics, what type of snare shell is that? It looks copper or bronze..,maybe even a Zildjian alloy annniversary snare?? But those aren't made by DW. They are noble and cooley.

5.Will you hate me if I keep pestering you with questions? :)

6. By any chance are you teching for Dave Lombardo's Slayer gig in montreal?

I can pretty much sum up how I feel with the opening lyric from Tommys Body Architects..
"Im starting from scratch!!!"
I play a vintage DW (pre timbre matching) 26kick 14,16,18 inch toms and Im shooting for his 94 era kit. Still working on the cymbals, I only managed the 20inch heavy bell ride.

Again, thank you for taking time out for this thread and thank you for the up close and personal approach!!!

STAY STRONG AND ROCK ON!!!

~Fdimes
Old 05-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

What I want to know is what kit will Tommy be playing tonight on VH1. I was just listening to Shannon Larkin on my local radio station talking about this show that will be on tonight and Tommy will be playing "god of thunder" with an all star band's tribute to Kiss.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:18 AM
adamjames

In case you missed it,it was the one from the Motley tour.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:01 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni
What I want to know is what kit will Tommy be playing tonight on VH1. I was just listening to Shannon Larkin on my local radio station talking about this show that will be on tonight and Tommy will be playing "god of thunder" with an all star band's tribute to Kiss.
He used the Carnival of Sins kit, also known as the "Dog In A Blender" kit. Nothing was different for the VH1 show from the previous dates; except for replacing some beat up parts. Nice quote on my myspace pic, btw! I laughed my a** off!

To everyone else who has posted questions recently; I'll get to them... I promise... I've been busy in the studio with Supernova.
STB Site
Old 06-05-2006, 01:51 AM

Hey, Steve, I've sent you a PM, please, check it out!

Thanx in advance!!! CHEERS!!!

Max.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:04 AM

Hey steve Ive been reading this thread with great interest and think its awesome for you to take time to answer all the questions!! Tommy was one of 2 drummers who really inspired me at a young age to become the musician i am today {the other was myron grombacher} and they were the reason I began to use paiste cymbals so obviously being the geek i am i was bummed when tommy made the switch and i never did see the post with a more in depth explanation of why. You mentioned support which for all our non-profesional drummers out there means "money" and him wanting to go in a different direction. I truly understand both. Hell ive about owned every make of cymbals out there. But what must be said and again being the geek i am Tommy lee's style of playing I feel is much like John Bonhams, huge beats and even Bigger grooves and I cant even imagine trying to figure out what a zildjian would sound like on zep alblum, why would you? I would probably puke. I feel personally that not only style, but an undeniable and unique sound is what makes a legend , Im just bummed that tommy's cymbals are no longer going to be as big as his beats...and with all due respect, will sound like well, like everone elses.
Thats just my opinion though.What does Tommy think?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:26 PM

I dont know man.... the cymbals he uses are HUGE sounding... I have always used the Z-line.... and they have a big sound!!!!

It seems like a lot of big name rock drummers are using Zilds these days....

http://www.myspace.com/refrat10
Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 AM

Hi Steve.

My question is about a Tommy Lee Signature series drumhead by Aquarian. Was there a signature line ever produced? I can't find any info about it online, but I've acquired a few of them. Here's a couple of pictures:

I don't know anything about them and can't find any info. Were they perhaps prototypes or something? Please tell me what you know about them. Thanks in advance.

Herby

--EDIT--
--->> I just found out a little bit of info on these heads. I guess they weren't produced for a very long period of time????

STEVE - Take a look at some of my Motley Collection. You'll probably find it pretty interesting. Maybe you'll recognize a few pieces and be able to tell me some stories about the stuff.
http://www.twistercity.com/motley.htm

Last edited by HerbyJr; 06-09-2006 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbyJr
Hi Steve.

Herby

--EDIT--
--->> I just found out a little bit of info on these heads. I guess they weren't produced for a very long period of time????

STEVE - Take a look at some of my Motley Collection. You'll probably find it pretty interesting. Maybe you'll recognize a few pieces and be able to tell me some stories about the stuff.
http://www.twistercity.com/motley.htm
Hey dude,
The Tommy's Aquarian heads had been sold on the market for a few years, but about 2 years ago they stopped production on them. Probably due to poor sales or somthing? It's hard to sell anything with someone's name on it to anyone who isn't a fan.
Tommy changed to Remo anyway because they could make heads in any size he wanted.

I could have some facts wrong, make Steve can help a bit more.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:55 PM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni
Hey dude,
The Tommy's Aquarian heads had been sold on the market for a few years, but about 2 years ago they stopped production on them. Probably due to poor sales or somthing? It's hard to sell anything with someone's name on it to anyone who isn't a fan.
Tommy changed to Remo anyway because they could make heads in any size he wanted.

I could have some facts wrong, make Steve can help a bit more.
Hey Nick! I believe that Aquarian stopped making the heads as soon as we switched to Remo, in November 2004. I could be wrong. :)
STB Site
Old 06-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Nick! I believe that Aquarian stopped making the heads as soon as we switched to Remo, in November 2004. I could be wrong. :)
Your probably right. Someone at Aquarian called me for something a while back, before Motley announced they were going to tour again. I did ask him about Tommy's heads, being a fan and all and who ever it was said they had just discontinued the line. I don't exactly how long ago it was, but it had to be right around the time he called Remo.