DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-01-2006, 08:46 PM
adamjames

Default Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

I saw the show a few weeks ago. It was my second time seeing the tour. The sound was great. Not nearly as loud and blurred out as the first time I saw it. If you have not seen it and you are a fan, it is well worth seeing. I would go again if I could.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:22 PM

Default work box

for a beginning drum tech...
a) what kind of tools would i need for my work box?
b) what exactly is the drum tech's job?

thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 AM

I heard that Tommy got the idea for the spinning kit from seeing a basement tape on MTV by a MLPS band Chameleon, featuring Charlie Adams on 4 piece kit with a half horse motor. And a helmet. Can you confirm?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:03 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevy kevy
I heard that Tommy got the idea for the spinning kit from seeing a basement tape on MTV by a MLPS band Chameleon, featuring Charlie Adams on 4 piece kit with a half horse motor. And a helmet. Can you confirm?
As is so often the case, Buddy Rich was the inspiration.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 PM

Default Re: cool ass dude... it's ture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleetech
To all cats checking out my thread: IT"S AWESOME!!! THANKS!!! Peace & Love!

You too deserve a huge thanks for taking the time out of what must be a crazy schedule to post here.

As one of the old guys here, I am certainly thankful.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 AM

Max here!!Greetings to all at this forum!! The thread is very interesting, read with pleasure..

hey Steve, thanx for all info you posted here, it's AWESOME!

The question which has interested me, since then, when I for the first time have heard the Crue: what was the depth and material of snare drums Tommy used in the end of 80th beginnin 90th? please tell me if you know...i saw some live concert videos where he played huge, 14x12 inches or more, marching drum placed instead of snare drum. is it true?

And when, at last, the Crue will attend Russia?

Thanx in advance, cheers!....
Old 03-05-2006, 03:40 PM

Wow!
Last night the Cruë was in Québec city! What an amazing show... THAT'S intertainment!

I have a question for tleetech... I want to know why you switched cymbals in a middle of a song? I have see ''probably'' you came on stage 2 or 3 times during the show to switch a cymbal, is that that Tommy hit so hard that cymbal breaks in the middle of the show or is it for a subtil change of sound?

Once again, what a show!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:28 PM

quick question... for touring drummers what are 10 important things to have on have in order of importance?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:56 PM

1. Lots of spare sticks
2. Spare snare head
3. Tuning Key
4. Spare pedal
5. Spare heads
6. Tools
7. Spare parts ie tension rods, springs lugs, anything you can think of
8. Cases
9. Your own water bottle
10. Your own sweat towel
Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblakdak
1. Lots of spare sticks
2. Spare snare head
3. Tuning Key
4. Spare pedal
5. Spare heads
6. Tools
7. Spare parts ie tension rods, springs lugs, anything you can think of
8. Cases
9. Your own water bottle
10. Your own sweat towel
Nice one... you nailed it!
don't forget a bottle of Jagermeister!!!!

Ohhh... and the idea for TOMMY to spin came to him in a dream he says... he knew it had kind of been done by Buddy, but was not a source of inspiration.
STB Site
Old 03-06-2006, 01:59 AM

Yo,
I want to know if the lack of reaction from the crowd have disapointed Tommy in Québec city? At some moment, Tommy has try to make the crowd react but the language difference has seems to make everything harder...

P.S. Excuse my really bad english... I'm a french canadian too after all.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:41 AM

i just fifnished reading this and relized that tommy lee was sitting answering questions while i was starting reading this (i went to dinner and played my drums for i bit as an "intermission") but anyways. welcome to the forum dude kinda belated i know but oh well. i hae a couple questions (1) what pdp rack is it that tommy uses? (2) with the kit covered in the fur i know that other guy (cant remember the name and to lazy to look back) said it wasnt glued or stuck on...do you leave the fur on the whole time or take it off when you tear down the kit and put it back on when you set it up? (3) is tommy gonna make an instructional video anytime soon or ever? (4) can i have your job?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Nice one... you nailed it!
don't forget a bottle of Jagermeister!!!!

Ohhh... and the idea for TOMMY to spin came to him in a dream he says... he knew it had kind of been done by Buddy, but was not a source of inspiration.

Im a Crown Royal guy!!!!!!!
Are Crue planning on coming back to London Ontario Canada, or close by? If so I'll gladly share a bottle with Tommy at one of our fine adult entertainment facilities.

Last edited by lilblakdak; 03-06-2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
here's a short movie displaying T's showmanship-the classic rimshot/stick toss. It took me like two months to get this down properly. :) I passed it on to Taylor Hawkins when we were in Australia; he nailed it in five minutes. Don't pay any attention to the audio, it's the mic on my digi cam.
BTW exacty how do you do the rimshot/stick toss? Also what can you tell me about your management business. I mgiht want to talk to you seriously about it.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 PM

STEEEVOOOO! Its Mickey from The Garden. Me and my bud are coming to Providence on Wednesday. I'll try to look for ya brother. Lemme know if we could meet up at all. Peace.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey Steve, thanks a lot for answering so many of these questions. You've answered a lot of questions that I've had, and there isn't really much left over to ask but I'll ask anyway:

1.) How does Tommy keep hands in good condition during touring? How does he prevent himself from getting cuts, blisters, and breaks in the skin on his thumbs and fingers, and if these do occur how does he take care of them? I'm not sure if you'll know, but it's a question I've been wondering with professional touring drummers for months.

2.) Also, since he's such a hard hitter; does he go through cymbals often?

I was also going to ask how you remember the placement of everything on his set to his preference, but I'm pretty sure that has been answered before.

Hopefully you can get the time to answer my questions!

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:41 AM

^^^^^
Hope this helps, for the angles and placement question, I asked Steve earlier, this is what he said:

I orginally got all the right angles by having Tommy sit down at the kit(we were on a rental kit for all the publicity dates[12/04-1/05]) and get everything in a comfortable place. I measured the height of all the cymbals, toms, etc. from the ground to the titler or rim. All the settings were secured with memory locks at every adjustment. When we were getting ready to start the tour(1/05), I designed the "Red, White & Chrome" kit based around these measurements. I used the same method building the "Dog In A Blender" kit. As far as getting everything completely dialed in every show- it took at least a good two weeks worth of shows to get everything the way he liked it without any incidents... It was pretty stressful early on.
2) Tommy is very specific when it comes to placement of everything on the kit as well as all the electronics settings. He is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the latest samples and was very involved when we were creating the ddrum sounds for the main kit as well as the flying techno kit.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X
Hey Steve, thanks a lot for answering so many of these questions. You've answered a lot of questions that I've had, and there isn't really much left over to ask but I'll ask anyway:

1.) How does Tommy keep hands in good condition during touring? How does he prevent himself from getting cuts, blisters, and breaks in the skin on his thumbs and fingers, and if these do occur how does he take care of them? I'm not sure if you'll know, but it's a question I've been wondering with professional touring drummers for months.

2.) Also, since he's such a hard hitter; does he go through cymbals often?

I was also going to ask how you remember the placement of everything on his set to his preference, but I'm pretty sure that has been answered before.

Hopefully you can get the time to answer my questions!

Thanks.
I know!!!! I know!!!! Call on me!!!! HA HA HA

1--- He wears gloves and grip tapes his sticks.....

2--- Yes he breaks a ton of cymbals.... mostly crashes....

and the bonus question....

He has a very cool rack system..... and everything is marked.....

Am I correct Steve??????

http://www.myspace.com/refrat10

Last edited by Vibra-Slap'd; 03-10-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibra-Slap'd
I know!!!! I know!!!! Call on me!!!! HA HA HA

1--- He wears gloves and grip tapes his sticks.....
Yeah but I would think use grip tape on his sticks would cause for more blisters since if there is any open skin rubbing against that rough surface it would cause for them to form.
Or is there some kind of special grip tape he uses?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X
Yeah but I would think use grip tape on his sticks would cause for more blisters since if there is any open skin rubbing against that rough surface it would cause for them to form.
Or is there some kind of special grip tape he uses?

Its a special tape.... made by Ahead..... Its pretty soft feels nice with the glove on..... try it.... its like 3 bucks for a set....

http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...te-AHE-GT.html

Old 03-09-2006, 05:48 PM

Steve, Thanks for taking the time for us! Got a cymbal durability question.

It's time to replace some 1970's Avedis Zildjians, which has been holding up best/longest for you, the 19" mediums or the 18" projections? I hit 'em hard too, so it would be great to get some input from a cymbal punisher. LOL

Also: How does Tommy keep the fun in playing? Or does it become just a JOB when you play as many datesa year as he does?

Later,
Dick

PS: I may be over in Tulsa later this month to catch the show & do some photography if I can get lined up with the promoter. I'll stop by & say howdy!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 PM

hey steve...you said you and tommy are workin on some new stuff, any chance you guys are gonna bring anything out for the Richmond VA show?? ill be there, looking forward to hearing you guys...i have heard some great stuff about the show, and im really excited... cant wait!!!

tj
Old 03-12-2006, 08:12 PM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvinBaRkerDennis13
hey steve...you said you and tommy are workin on some new stuff, any chance you guys are gonna bring anything out for the Richmond VA show?? ill be there, looking forward to hearing you guys...i have heard some great stuff about the show, and im really excited... cant wait!!!

tj
The drum solo last night was rewritten in a few spots. Other than that, we haven't launched anything else yet... Thanks to Shane(Vibra Slap'd) for answering questions when I'm offline for a few days. I'll try to be back on soon!!!
STB Site
Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlester
It's time to replace some 1970's Avedis Zildjians, which has been holding up best/longest for you, the 19" mediums or the 18" projections? I hit 'em hard too, so it would be great to get some input from a cymbal punisher. LOL
Like Steve said, the band is faced with a tough touring schedule right now. I know Steve misses spending more time here... and I know he will, when the tour is over in April..... hell I dont get get to chat with him much anymore!!! LOL

As far as the Cymbal question..... the 19in Z medium seems to take the biggest beating b/c of the location on the kit and amount of use. But the 18" projection is a close second. I would say... it's a wash....I would say that he breaks 1 of those 2 cymbals every 2-3 shows the others seem to last a bit longer. And the Hi-Hat takes a bad beating as well. Steve always has an extra top hi-hat (which is really a bottom) in a clutch and ready to drop on.

Tommy crushs all of his gear... the cowbell I have is completely wasted. Steve will have Tommy hit one side for a show or two, then flip it over and use the other side. It is almost crushed closed before he takes it out of the line-up. The Ahead sticks can also deliver quite a beating....

Let's all hope Steve and T finish up strong on the tour.... here are the remaining dates.... if you are near by.... GO HEAR THAT DRUMSET! Tommy, Motley and Steve, will not let you down!!!

3/13/2006 Roanoke VA , United States Civic Center
3/15/2006 Atlanta GA , United States Philips Arena
3/20/2006 Mexico City , MX Palacio De Los Deportes
3/22/2006 Monterrey , MX Arena Monterrey
3/24/2006 Houston TX , United States Toyota Center
3/25/2006 Jackson MS , United States Coliseum
3/26/2006 Baton Rouge LA , United States Baton Rouge River Center
3/28/2006 Huntsville AL , United States Von Braun Arena
3/30/2006 Tulsa OK , United States OK Convention Center
3/31/2006 Lincoln NE , United States Pershing Auditorium
4/1/2006 Sioux Falls SD , United States Sioux Falls Arena
4/3/2006 Winnipeg , Canada MTS Centre
4/4/2006 Saskatoon AB , Canada Credit Union
4/5/2006 Red Deer AB , Canada Enmax Centrium
4/7/2006 Prince George SK , Canada Prince George CN Ctr
4/8/2006 Kelowna BC , Canada Prospera Place
4/9/2006 Victoria BC , Canada Save-On Foods Center
4/11/2006 Red Deer , Canada Enmax Centre
4/12/2006 Lethbridge , Canada Enmax Centre
4/13/2006 Regina , Canada Brandt Centre

PS--- Steve convinced me to try the HART Pro Trigger pads.................. WOW..... If any of you are using Roland V-Drums or Pintech.... go try the Harts.... WAY BETTER!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM

First let me say that I thought I was going out on a limb when I wrote to Steve and asked if there was anyway my son and I could attend sound check or some other more private event other than the concert at Richmond ( we already had 2nd row seats ). He responded within hours to say he would call me on the day of the show to see if he could work something out. Waiting anxiously all day Saturday we never heard from Steve, as excited as we were we figured he's just a busy man. Immediately after the concert we saw Steve moving trap cases over to the drums, after screaming his name a couple of times he came over to us, apologized for not calling and said he was short on help and asked if we could come up and give him a hand tearing everything down. My son and I put Tommy’s’ cymbals and hardware away and I got to put the 32" kick in its case. Wow!

Steve, what you did for us Saturday night may not have meant anything to you, but it meant everything to us!
Thanks, you're a cool guy!

Carl & Corey (Corey said thanks again for the sticks!)
Old 03-13-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeattitude
First let me say that I thought I was going out on a limb when I wrote to Steve and asked if there was anyway my son and I could attend sound check or some other more private event other than the concert at Richmond ( we already had 2nd row seats ). He responded within hours to say he would call me on the day of the show to see if he could work something out. Waiting anxiously all day Saturday we never heard from Steve, as excited as we were we figured he's just a busy man. Immediately after the concert we saw Steve moving trap cases over to the drums, after screaming his name a couple of times he came over to us, apologized for not calling and said he was short on help and asked if we could come up and give him a hand tearing everything down. My son and I put Tommy’s’ cymbals and hardware away and I got to put the 32" kick in its case. Wow!

Steve, what you did for us Saturday night may not have meant anything to you, but it meant everything to us!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! See Steve is the man!!! I even offered to help in Richmond!!!!!! He said he was ok.....

Just so you know, there is no sound check with the band, the tech's all do line checks on the gear and thats it. With todays computerized sound boards, they get most of the levels they need in rehearsals and then tweak them for each arena.

That 32" kick is a monster.... but all and all it's pretty light.... Glad Steve hooked ya!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! See Steve is the man!!! I even offered to help in Richmond!!!!!! He said he was ok.....

Just so you know, there is no sound check with the band, the tech's all do line checks on the gear and thats it. With todays computerized sound boards, they get most of the levels they need in rehearsals and then tweak them for each arena.

That 32" kick is a monster.... but all and all it's pretty light.... Glad Steve hooked ya!!!
Yeh! He did that! ......Great experience!

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:41 AM

STEVE HELP! the sounds tommy uses with the triggers...choppers for girls girls girls, bell in looks that kill, and i think some of the sounds for his solo are from the methods of mayhem cd...how do you get just those sections and put them to the triggers???
Old 03-20-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyKid43
STEVE HELP! the sounds tommy uses with the triggers...choppers for girls girls girls, bell in looks that kill, and i think some of the sounds for his solo are from the methods of mayhem cd...how do you get just those sections and put them to the triggers???
I know Steve is on his way to Mexico right now.....

I don't think that Tommy would be willing to "share" his trigger sounds..... but if you read back, you'll see that Steve "makes" his samples via Quicktime.... You should be able to grab some files like Tommy's and dump them into your sampling unit....

Old 03-20-2006, 03:10 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
I know Steve is on his way to Mexico right now.....

I don't think that Tommy would be willing to "share" his trigger sounds..... but if you read back, you'll see that Steve "makes" his samples via Quicktime.... You should be able to grab some files like Tommy's and dump them into your sampling unit....
I appreciate the attention to my schedule, but I am available to answer questions anywhere in the world. I will not be able to give MotleyKid the exact samplesI use, but I can explain how it is done. As Shane explained above, I do create the samples from SoundDesigner II files then export them to Quicktime and then dump them into my ddrum3 via S/PDIF and sample them real time into the onboard sampler. All of the sounds for Tommy, specifically the Wildside "pipe" and Girls "chopper" sounds are taken directly off the master tapes that I have copies of. Any other questions, hit me up; I'm always available for you guys!!!!!!!! Peace out from Mexico City!
STB Site
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeattitude

I'm really gald we got to meet up; thanks for getting my attention! :) Hope you enjoyed the experience!! Much Love! Steevo
STB Site
Old 03-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Wow, what a brilliant thread!

Hi Steve. Just wondering wether you and Motley Crue will be making an appearance at Download Festival, England in June? Fair enough if you can't tell me as there's no official announcement, but just thought it would be one hell of an addition to the bill. Sorry this wasn't about drumming, but just thought I'd be cheeky and ask.

Thanks alot, and keep up the good work mate.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 PM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZeroCK
Wow, what a brilliant thread!

Hi Steve. Just wondering wether you and Motley Crue will be making an appearance at Download Festival, England in June? Fair enough if you can't tell me as there's no official announcement, but just thought it would be one hell of an addition to the bill. Sorry this wasn't about drumming, but just thought I'd be cheeky and ask.

Thanks alot, and keep up the good work mate.
I haven't heard anything yet about us playing Download. I think the only gig we have across the pond right now is the show in Dublin on June 6th. I'll let you know if I hear anything! Late!
STB Site
Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 PM

I have a question.........

For heads on the Hart pads.......... should I get the KS Magnum heads? Or would you recommend a different head?

Let me know dude!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:34 PM

im jarrod lackey im 15v years old i have tommy's same drum set up. i was wondering, over the 32 inch bass drum is the rack tube one tube, or is it a curved bar with a clamp attatching it to a small bar where the cymbal is next to the hi-hat.any info on it would be great

thank you

Jarrod lackey
Old 04-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Pioneer Member

I read this on another forum:

"After playing multiple MÖTLEY CRÜE shows wearing a brace and taking anti-inflamatory injections, drummer Tommy Lee's doctor instructed him to give his injured right hand wrist a break after his tendonitis made it difficult for him to perform. Tendonitis is a common and painful injury for drummers who pound the skins with great force. MÖTLEY CRÜE has played to over a million fans this year in over 100 shows of their wildly successful Carnival of Sins tour.

MÖTLEY CRÜE will have another drummer covering Tommy Lee's shift for tonight's (April 5) performance at the Enmax Center in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada: Harvey Warren, drummer of the local Canadian band, BRÖKEN TÖYZ (web site), who cover MÖTLEY CRÜE songs in their show every week.

Instead of canceling their show, MÖTLEY CRÜE decided to give a fan a chance and share the wealth of rock stardom, reaching out to the drummer after a reference from the House of Blues promoter. Drummer/vocalist Harvey Warren spends his day managing a local Starbucks and moonlights for the rock tribute band BRÖKEN TÖYZ as well as serving as a founding member of Calgary band ONE NINE HUNDRED. When called by the promoter of the show while working at Starbucks, Harvey thought it was a joke. After some convincing, he realized it was true and accepted, but was sworn to secrecy. He immediately left work and told his coworkers, "Something happened that will change my life but I can't tell you until tomorrow!" "I'm scared to death," said Warren, "but this is a chance of a lifetime." "

Wow! Really? And, more importantly, where does the line form?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin
Wow! Really? And, more importantly, where does the line form?
No joke! I can do Motley tunes, stick spins and all! I'll even fly out and be in any city in 24 hours!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:14 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni
No joke! I can do Motley tunes, stick spins and all! I'll even fly out and be in any city in 24 hours!
I'll tell Tommy--- wait until to you guys see who subs for him tonight!!! Harvey did a great job for coming in with no rehearsals. He was a joy to work with... I'll post after tomorrow night's show! Late!
STB Site
Old 04-07-2006, 10:17 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Quote:
I have a question.........

For heads on the Hart pads.......... should I get the KS Magnum heads? Or would you recommend a different head?

Let me know dude!
use the KS Magnum heads... they work awesome and don't wear out for months and months.. I've only changed the ones on T's kit once!
STB Site
Old 04-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Hi Steve! Greetings from Russia. Glad to see you here. I saw performance CRUE in Moscow in 1989. It was cool, especially when Tommy has crushed the drums. Recently I have bought CARNIVAL OF SINS DVD. A unforgettable show.
I have question, if possible: you sometime played with Tommy a duet? If played, what songs, or solo? As about arrival Crue to Russia for the show?
Transfer Tommy, that Tommyland - an excellent album. One of my faworite last time.

Thank you,
Sasha
Sikorsky band

Owner/Editor www.playdrums.ru