Steve Morrison

El Steevo

PRO Drum Tech
Steve Morrison- Drum Tech for Nate Morton on The Voice. Owner of Drum Tech Services, and drummer of L.A. rock band, Stranger Things. Past tech gigs include: Tommy Lee, Aaron Montgomery, Joey Jordison, Stephen Perkins, Ginger Fish, Sean Kinney, & many more. Please feel free to ask any tech related questions here!

Last edited:
Re: Tommy Lee

Ok, our new member TLEETECH is the drumtech of Tommy. So If you have questions regarding set or something else, you can ask here...

Thanks Steve for joining us....

Bernhard

Vibra-Slap'd said:
Steevo is the MAN..... he knows a ton about the gear too.... not just Tommy's Stuff..... huge assest to this site!
Thanks alot for the warm welcome you guys... this should be some fun... I'm going to try and get T to write a little something here in the near future.. we'll see :) For more info or detailed specs on his kit; visit my site below.

hey....from one steve to another steve .....welcome!
your expertise is gonna be welcomed here.....especially in this thread....who else have you teched for , bro?

Re: steve morrison - pro drum tech

NUTHA JASON said:
a very warm welcome. and now some questions...

what kind of warm up regime, if any, does tommy do before a gig?

who else have you teched for?

how do you become a tech?

any replies would be appreciated.

j

Thanks Jason, T-Bone! I'm honored to be a part of this community. Ok, down to business:

1)Tommy's warm-up consists of a short stretching period(5 mins) Then he plays along to the music he has playing through his dressing room P.A. (i do mean P.A.- 2 Clair Bros. R4 Speaker cabinets[very loud]) he plays on everything in the room-speakers, couch, table, etc. He does that about 10 minutes before the show until he is walked to the stage.

2)Past drummers I have done include: Shannon Leto- 30 Seconds To Mars(2002-03); Aaron Montgomery- TRAPT(2002-04); and then Tommy when they decided to do the reunion tour(Nov. 04). I also freelance out of S.I.R. Hollywood Drum Dept.

3)I ended up becoming a drum tech after a brief stint working at Sabian, then Guitar Center Hollywood. It was the contacts I made with the pro guys that would help me out later on. After GC, I started at S.I.R. as a monitor tech and met S. Leto while they rehearsed for their upcoming tour. He needed a tech, and remembered speaking to me at GC, so he offered me the gig. The biggest thing is WORD OF MOUTH. Marketing yourself is the key.

Cool, I hope my answers make some sense. :) If anyone has any more questions or comments, hit me up.

The biggest thing is WORD OF MOUTH. Marketing yourself is the key.

so being the admin at drummerworld can't be a bad start.

thanks for the reply. i do a similar warmup to tommy...i gaffa taped an old sandal to the top of my gig tool box (ex AKG mic case)...i then put it ontop of my snare and whck it for 10 - 15 mins before the show to what ever's playing out of the house.

please tell tommy we all say hi. hope he does a cameo appearance here on the forum one day.

j

Tommy's Current Touring Kit

We ended up naming this one the "Dog In A Blender" kit...

Remo Heads(top/btm): Snare-EmporerX/Hazy Amb Snare; Toms-Clr Pinstripe/clear or smooth white Ambassador; 26" Kick-Coated Powerstoke 3/Ebony Ambassador resonant w/mic port(muffling: pillow lightly touching both heads); 32" Kick-Smooth White Ambassador/Ebony Ambassdaor resonant w/mic port(no muffling)

We're also using Puresound 30-strand snares; Vater Slicknuts & Stick Holders

Attachments

• newsinskit.jpg
    newsinskit.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 71,428
Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not allowed to see that picture - There is the text: Image hosted by tripod.com...

Would be great to have, so I can post it - together with the dimensions - at Drummerworld...

Bernhard

Mötley Drum World

Here's the other half of the rig- my electronics world....

Attachments

• myworld.jpg
    myworld.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 34,508

Wow, thats some nice hardware

Out of interest...what moudules do you use on Reason?

Hahh - love to see: Many Macs allover - Always Macs where the action is....

Bernhard

tleetech said:
It's an ashtray! :) believe it or not...

Not as bad as me...... I thought it was a Zildjian Crotale....... Its all good I guess!!!

Hey Steve, will Tommy be using the "flying rigs" on this leg of the tour? And were those samples also run from your gear on stage right?

Vibra-Slap'd & TitanSound said:
Out of interest...what moudules do you use on Reason

Hey Steve, will Tommy be using the "flying rigs" on this leg of the tour? And were those samples also run from your gear on stage right?

On Reason, I mostly use the Redrum & NN-XT modules, with a bunch of effects.

Tommy will be using the flying rigs again on this leg. All the samples you hear during the drum solo are being triggered from a ddrum4 module, M-Audio 61es MIDI controller & an E-Mu X4 Sampler. They are housed in a 4 space rack that lives on the grill deck of the stage left flying "techno kit." I load all the samples during linecheck in the afternoon, while the kit is still on the stage. The solo this leg will sound a little different than on the DVD shoot. Anyone near the cities we're playing should come check it out. I'll give you a little tour of the kit & my world. Just give me one week advance to set it up.

hey steve, im in a drumline as well as being a regular drummer, but i was wonfering if tommy ever worked any of the stuff that he learned when he went back and did the stuff for that line, if he ever throws like random triplet accent taps, in when hes doing sound checks or anythying, because i know that travis barker used to march and couldave gone straight to dci, so i didnt know if tommy was into that stuff still or what?? thanks
tj

Back