DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Default dw 5000 series pedal

I've been thinking about picking up a used dw 5000 series pedal on ebay, but my question is, what is the deal with all the single chain 5000 series pedals on ebay? None of the 5000 series pedals on the dw site appear to be single chain, yet on ebay there seem to be a lot of them. Are they just older models?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: dw 5000 series pedal

Yep, they're the older ones. Some players, like myself, would say they are the true DW pedals because they were fashioned after the original Camco pedals from the late '60s-'70s. In fact if you go far enough back, they're really clones of the famous Gretsch Floating Action pedal - and then someone came up with the idea of replacing the cam and leather strap with a sprocket and a chain. In the new DW lineup, I think the new DW3000 (or one of those lower than the 5000) is similar to the older DW5000 pedals.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Hmm. Maybe I'll try to find one of the newer ones. My current pedal on the set I am looking to get a new pedal for is single chain, but the pedal on my other set is double chain. I like the pedal on my other set. I also found a used 5000 series lefty double pedal for sale which I am strongly considering.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 AM

I've got a DW 5000 double pedal with a single chain that is probably more than 15 years old. It's still going, no problem. I remember when they came out with the double chain, thinking it had more to do with making the pedal "look" stronger, than any practical reason.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_symlink View Post
Hmm. Maybe I'll try to find one of the newer ones. My current pedal on the set I am looking to get a new pedal for is single chain, but the pedal on my other set is double chain. I like the pedal on my other set. I also found a used 5000 series lefty double pedal for sale which I am strongly considering.
Lefty, eh? Me too! If you can get a lefty DW for a fair price, I suppose that's a good deal. I don't play double pedal (although I consider it from time-to-time), when I look around for lefty's, Taye and Pearl make a nice mid-priced set too.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:05 AM

I ended up not winning the auction. The 5000 series lefty double pedal went for $160. Meh, maybe I'll wait.

All my hardware needs upgrading at some point. Especially my stands, since I have a virgin bass drum, so I have to mount my toms on the cymbal stands. I got an entry level hardware pack for $189 when I bought my set. Its not bad.

As for the pearl and taye pedals. I actually have a taye single pedal on my other set. Its really good. I don't know about pearl though. I used to have a pearl double pedal. I think it was the p122tw. The thing I didn't like about it was that the pedals were different. It was just impossible to get the tension to be the same on both sides. The right pedal always felt slower.