DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Everyone,

Here is my attempt at "tabbing" out the 7/8 drum pattern in the middle of "What Happens Now". I know it is off, but I can't figure out what it is. Tempo? Placement of the ride? I also couldn't get the double bass "roll" to sound like a "roll".

I put this together using Fruity Loops Studio 9.

Just thought I'd post for fun, see how far off I'am from the real thing.. haha

mp3 file attached!
thanks
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 whn 78drums.mp3 (181.7 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by euphoric_anomaly; 01-10-2013 at 04:12 AM. Reason: mp3 file
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 AM

Hi Gavin,
I don't know if anyone asked you this before: have you ever tried to mic your drums with a binaural microphone?
I have used one instead of the overheads and the result is very intresting.
( i had to build my own mic because buying one is almost impossible)

I have recorded a demonstration video to give you an idea of what can do this type of microphone:
(remember to use headphones to perceive the effect)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1kwxYmeBc

I think this kind of recording would be amazing in a porcupine tree record!

Regards!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Hi Gavin,

I just wanted to get some tickets for your gig with 05Ric in Reichenbach/Germany and noticed, that there is a mistake in the name of the venue. The actual name is "Bergkeller" not "Keller". I just wanted to inform you because there is another restaurant in this town called "Keller" so there could be some confusion.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 AM

Hi Gavin,

After seeing you perform with PT numerous times through the years, I just have one question..... Do you ever make mistakes??
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi paulegavin

You have a priceless quote in Rhythmic Illusions, "If you play this kind of an illusion during a dance band gig - the bass player will hit you..." I love the ideas in Rhythmic Illusions, I've actually spent many hours on it at a time without having noticed time go by but how do I apply them in a normal situation without the bass player hitting me?

Just wear a crash helmet. There are subtle ways that you can use small amounts of displacement and modulation - and I have done so many times...but for most pop gigs they're pretty much off the menu. The best things that came out of Rhythmic Illusions for me was that it strengthened my sense of time. Playing patterns 'out of place' certainly helped me - and when I put the rhythms back 'in their original place' they felt much better. Once I understood the idea of manipulating rhythm - it opened up a lot of creative possibilities when I was trying to come up with new fills and thinking of new rhythms - especially when playing original songs in a band.

Hi pixelbreaker

I recently signed up for one of the master classes at Vic's on the 30th. I was just wondering what to expect from it. Is it going to be based more off of questions from participants or do you have areas that you plan to explore? Regardless, I can't wait until the event and I look forward to meeting you!

Don't worry - I have a plan!! Of course you can ask questions whenever you want - but I will have some things prepared that I'm going to discuss and demonstrate.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I recently purchased OSI's "Fire make Thunder" and I must say it's an excellent album. I have a question about the song "Guards". When the distorted guitar kicks in @ 1:16, you do what sounds like dotted 8th's on the china. Now, as musically ignorant as I'am, I'm only guessing they are dotted 8ths. But it sounds great. From what I remember you saying, a dotted 8th note is 1 and 1/2 times the beat... or something to that extent... lol

yes they are dotted 8th notes. When you add a 'dot' to any note it increases it's value by 50%. An 8th note = 2/16s and when you add a dot to it to make it a "dotted 8th note" it becomes an 8th note and a half. Which equals 3/16s

Another question about playing with OSI, do you find the electronic drums (made by the keyboard) to be helpful or distracting? Also, your playing with OSI seems more straight and forward with beats whereas with PT it seems you have a lot more freedom to throw in poly rhythms, displacements, off-time ride cymbal hits etc...

There's quite a bit of 'electronic sounding' drum programming on that new OSI record and it's something that I needed to know exactly what was staying and what was going. Of course when I was sent the songs they also had programmed drum samples too (the ones that I was going to replace).

regarding the programming of "What Happens Now" I'm sorry to tell you - but you're really are a long way off. The Tempo is the same as the rest of the song (I think about 108).

Hi Gabriel.Ales

I don't know if anyone asked you this before: have you ever tried to mic your drums with a binaural microphone? I have used one instead of the overheads and the result is very intresting.

I have never used one before - but I can see that it's effective especially if you record moving things around the 'head'. I usually have my overheads mics placed quite close to my ears so it captures the sound from my perspective.

Hi Christian Beck

I just wanted to get some tickets for your gig with 05Ric in Reichenbach/Germany and noticed, that there is a mistake in the name of the venue. The actual name is "Bergkeller" not "Keller".

thanks for the correction.

Hi B_HALF19

After seeing you perform with PT numerous times through the years, I just have one question..... Do you ever make mistakes??

The kind of mistakes that the band or audience would recognise - probably about 2 or 3 per tour. The kind of small mistakes that I recognise - about 2 or 3 per song.

cheers
Gavin
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin!

I've only recently gotten into PT, mostly after watching a bunch of your videos and being generally floored!

I do have a question about your technique regarding ghostnotes: I notice you hold your sticks down very low, and play your ghostnotes with a lot of force, yet they still sound very dynamic and articulate. As such, do you ghostnote from the wrist, from the fingers, or is it a combination of the two?

To me it seems I get quieter ghostnotes when playing from the fingers, and harder ones when playing from the wrists, but seeing your grip down so low while still getting the sound/feel you do does vex me somewhat!

Cheers!

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Gavin,

I appreciate your honesty regarding the What Happens Now drum part. I had a feeling it was way off. One day I will get it correct, I just have to learn the program a little more so I can make certain adjustments.

Eric
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Hey Gavin I know you've probably been asked many times but since I didn't find a way to search in a thread I'm just gonna ask and if there happen to be a way to search an entire thread, I'll do it.

I wanted to know how to get your snare's ghost note sound in terms of head, tuning and strings. I know I won't get exactly what you have and I also know that just because I like the sound doesn't mean I'll like the feel and playability, but I'd really like to know the best way to get as close as possible to your sound.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheLovesMyDrums View Post
Hey Gavin I know you've probably been asked many times but since I didn't find a way to search in a thread I'm just gonna ask and if there happen to be a way to search an entire thread, I'll do it..
There's a gray bar toward the top of the page that will say "search this thread."
My Blog
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 AM

Hi Gavin!

Have you found a solution to, what I think it is, a problem with the Speed Cobras?

The placement of the beaters! In order for the pedal to stay aligned to the ground and not tilt to your left once you start to tightening the locking screw, the right beater has to stay EXACTLY at the center of the head, but that causes the left beater to go too far to the left.

Any tips and/or solutions to this?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM

Hello Gavin. First of all I have to thank you for finding your time to answer all these questions the drummers of the world ask you. You really inspire me, thank you.

I am 20 year old drummer from Slovakia and started playing 3-4 years ago, I consider myself a more of a beginner. So if you could answer my questions in more understandable way as I am not very familiar with English terminology and lack experience.

Now to my questions:

1. You said in a lot of interviews that you were taking writing,listening and reading lessons as a child... I am interested in what were those lessons like? Because I struggle to find a good way to transcribe music or sometimes have problem to read well.

2. This may be connected to the first question. When I play while reading I sound quite robotic, I would like to get rid of it. On the other hand when I play something I like how it sound and then when I put it into notes, I think it is crap. Any tips on that?

3. Next question is about control. When I practice I usually spend some time simply playing to get some ideas I may use later. However when playing with the band all of my great ideas suddenly disappear... I fear to use any of them so I won't ruin the song and I end up doing the same thing all over again. How can I practice to get it more under control?

4. Timing. Music is for me an overwhelming feeling and like it. But it can be also frustrating at the same time... And I get a lot of different views on it, so I feel really confused. It is probably my weakest side. Teacher at school told me I am useless (Which I think it isn't something the teacher is supposed to tell you), but there are others teachers who told me I have no problem keeping time as long as I feel comfortable or it is lack of experience. It may be connected with the third question, but can you help me with that?

5. Last question is about your time in Bratislava this march. Now I am confused about date, you posted here and on Facebook that it will be on 13th march. However on the Randal club's site it says on 14th march. Which one is correct?

Thank you again for answering my questions and sorry if there are some grammatical errors, English is only my second language.

Last edited by Rudolf Horváth; 01-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 AM

Rudolf,

You had me fooled, your english is very good :)

The robotic thing will fade away after some time. I'm having the same trouble when trying out odd time signatures (7/8 especially) because I always want to accent the last note instead of allowing it to be a non accented note. I also feel like I have to consciously stop for 1 beat to give it the 7/8 feel. It's frustrating, but keep at it.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM

5. Last question is about your time in Bratislava this march. Now I am confused about date, you posted here and on Facebook that it will be on 13th march. However on the Randal club's site it says on 14th march. Which one is correct?

Hi Rudolf
I bought tickets for the show and received message from TicketPortal, that show date has been changed to 13th March 2013.

Marian
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzzzz View Post
Hi Rudolf
I bought tickets for the show and received message from TicketPortal, that show date has been changed to 13th March 2013.

Marian
Ok, thank you. I was right to believe in the date that Gavin posted. :)
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Default To Gavin

Hi gavin
First i´m very big fan of you work with PT and others
I'm from Brazil and i have a little question
"How (with all your experience) i make to be a professional drummer''
Here in brazil is very difficult to do this amazing job and..
because is not easy like in the UK and i need this little answer please..
Thanks
Humberto from Brazil
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Gavin or whoever,

I had a strange idea pop into my head. I want my imaginary band to play a song in 12/8. I however, on drums, want to play 4/4 while they play 12/8. Is this possible to play and still hit the "downbeat" every couple of bars? Also, I would like my 4/4 beat to have a "triplet" swing feel to it, so it doesn't sound so 4/4ish...

Also, if anyone could possible write it down so I would know what that would look like on drum tabs, that would be appreciated, although not mandatory by any means.

Thanks in advance

Eric
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM

Hi Gavin!

I saw the Youtube-vid about your signature-snare pack a few minutes ago! AMAZING! CONGRATULATIONS! Of course, I can only talk about the sound from the vid, but DAMN! Plus the color... with those white lines... It's classic and modern at the same time! GORGEOUS! And the ideas for the snare wires, tuning keys, etc... WOW! Creative to say the least!

The thing I'm still curious about the snares are the snare-beds and the shell material. Are the snare beds regulars, shallows, wides, deeps, etc.? This is an area of snares I know very-very little about, so every bit of information helps me to learn more and grow as a sound-enthusiast. And why did you choose to switch to birch on the 12" snare as well? Previously all your 12" snare were maple I think.

Cheers, and congratulations again!
Matthew

Last edited by szokematyi; 01-25-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Hi Gavin,

first of all compliments for your drumming. It's amazing!!

I saw some pictures of your home studio. I think that originally your room was a normal room without any acoustic insulation. Which type of works did you made in order to reduce the noise around your house? Did you use platform below your drum set, special doors, insulation for all the room surfaces?

Moreover what is that panel I can see in some pictures in front of your drum set in your studio?

Thank you for your help. I hope to see you soon in Italy.

CIAO!!

Andrea
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Tried to read through the whole thread and search, but I couldn't find an answer.

On all your photos I see you have a lot of microphones on boomstands which which are attached on your rack. I got a couple of questions about them if that's ok.

- Do you have any problems with vibrations on the mic when you hit the drums/cymbals that are also on the rack?
- Are these boom arms customized or did you buy these? I tried to search all over the internet finding the same microphone boom arms unfortunatelly I can't find them anywhere.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Beam Me Up Scotty

I do have a question about your technique regarding ghostnotes: I notice you hold your sticks down very low, and play your ghostnotes with a lot of force, yet they still sound very dynamic and articulate. As such, do you ghostnote from the wrist, from the fingers, or is it a combination of the two?

It depends on the volume I'm playing at. If I'm playing really hard I grip the stick right at the very back with my little finger and then the ghost notes tend to come from the wrist. There's little point in playing 'whisper quiet' ghost notes that can't be heard. Conversely - with lighter playing I would probably go for more finger controlled ghost notes or switch to traditional grip.

Hi SheLovesMyDrums

I wanted to know how to get your snare's ghost note sound in terms of head, tuning and strings. I know I won't get exactly what you have and I also know that just because I like the sound doesn't mean I'll like the feel and playability, but I'd really like to know the best way to get as close as possible to your sound.

A lot of it depends on how you strike the drum and how the drum is set up. I have spent 14 months developing my first signature snare drum with Sonor. Have a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8zsm4UHV4

Hi Heitor

Have you found a solution to, what I think it is, a problem with the Speed Cobras? The placement of the beaters! In order for the pedal to stay aligned to the ground and not tilt to your left once you start to tightening the locking screw, the right beater has to stay EXACTLY at the center of the head, but that causes the left beater to go too far to the left.

I understand what you mean. You certainly don't want the pedal angled at all - it needs to keep absolutely flat to the ground. In terms of getting a more even sound from both beaters - move the right beater across to the right as far as you can without it touching the post of course. You're going to have to undo the main sprocket and undo the allen key bolts on the circular sprocket beneath it to shift the whole thing over. It's a little bit tricky but fairly easy to do. Then neither of the beaters are hitting the absolute centre - and it will make for a more even tone between the beaters.

Hi Rudolf Horváth

1. You said in a lot of interviews that you were taking writing,listening and reading lessons as a child... I am interested in what were those lessons like? Because I struggle to find a good way to transcribe music or sometimes have problem to read well.

My father got me a drum teacher when I was about 10 years old. He taught me to read and write drum notation. I found it hard at first but I'm so glad that I learnt it. It takes time to get really good at it - but I found it helped my understanding of syncopation and odd time signatures a lot - and still does.

2. This may be connected to the first question. When I play while reading I sound quite robotic, I would like to get rid of it. On the other hand when I play something I like how it sound and then when I put it into notes, I think it is crap. Any tips on that?

I don't quite understand - you only think it's crap once you see it written down? If it sounds good to your ears - that's all matters. A lot of it is in the interpretation. If you saw some of Jeff Porcaro's drum rhythms written down you would think they look pretty boring and uninspired - but when you hear him play them - it's a whole different thing.

3. Next question is about control. When I practice I usually spend some time simply playing to get some ideas I may use later. However when playing with the band all of my great ideas suddenly disappear... I fear to use any of them so I won't ruin the song and I end up doing the same thing all over again. How can I practice to get it more under control?

You mentioned that you've only been playing 3-4 years. Don't try to run before you can walk - it will all come to you in good time.

4. Timing. Music is for me an overwhelming feeling and like it. But it can be also frustrating at the same time... And I get a lot of different views on it, so I feel really confused. It is probably my weakest side. Teacher at school told me I am useless (Which I think it isn't something the teacher is supposed to tell you), but there are others teachers who told me I have no problem keeping time as long as I feel comfortable or it is lack of experience. It may be connected with the third question, but can you help me with that?

Playing in good time is about listening. If you want to get good at playing in time get good at listening. There's two types of drummers. Ones who work on their time - and others who just aren't listening hard enough. Your timing might be affected by your (lack of) technique to a degree. If you think your time is struggling - simplify what you're playing so that it doesn't take all of your concentration just to play the rhythm. You need to have control of what you're playing so that you've got some room left in your brain to listen. Listen carefully to yourself and the other band members.

The date is now confirmed as the 13th of March. The promoter switched the date with the Prague show.

Hi humberto

I'm from Brazil and i have a little question "How (with all your experience) i make to be a professional drummer'' Here in brazil is very difficult to do this amazing job and..
because is not easy like in the UK and i need this little answer please..

Don't think it's "easy" in the UK it's not. In fact I don't think it is easy anywhere to be a professional musician. I've been doing it professionally since 1979 - and I've seen a lot of changes - and none of them have made it any easier. I don't know what I can tell you to make it as a professional musician but determination is probably the biggest key factor.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I had a strange idea pop into my head. I want my imaginary band to play a song in 12/8. I however, on drums, want to play 4/4 while they play 12/8. Is this possible to play and still hit the "downbeat" every couple of bars? Also, I would like my 4/4 beat to have a "triplet" swing feel to it, so it doesn't sound so 4/4ish...

You do realise that 4/4 in triplets is the same as 12/8 right? In fact if you wanted to notate a rhythm in 4/4 that was full of triplets it's actually easier to write it in 12/8 so you don't have to keep writing in all those little "3s" over every triplet group. Maybe this isn't what you had in mind?

Hi szokematyi

The thing I'm still curious about the snares are the snare-beds and the shell material. Are the snare beds regulars, shallows, wides, deeps, etc.? This is an area of snares I know very-very little about, so every bit of information helps me to learn more and grow as a sound-enthusiast. And why did you choose to switch to birch on the 12" snare as well? Previously all your 12" snare were maple I think. .

They have the standard Sonor snare bed cut into the shells. They will accommodate all of the snare wires that they offer (not just the 3 that I designed). Birch has always sounded good my my ears and i wanted the drums to have a matching sound to them.

Hi Geert Samuel

On all your photos I see you have a lot of microphones on boomstands which which are attached on your rack. I got a couple of questions about them if that's ok.
- Do you have any problems with vibrations on the mic when you hit the drums/cymbals that are also on the rack?

I've only had slight vibration issues on the snare drum mic and hi hat mic so now they are off the rack or on suspension mounts. Recently I switched to using a lot of AKG mics and they all have suspension mounts. You can see them in this film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8zsm4UHV4

- Are these boom arms customized or did you buy these? I tried to search all over the internet finding the same microphone boom arms unfortunatelly I can't find them anywhere.

the ones on my rack are old Pearl ones from the late 80's...but you can just use the top part of a regular mic stand and mount it of a certain Pearl rack bracket that has a tilt built into it (and that's what I do on my touring set).

there's a load of info about my new snare drum here folks http://www.sonor.com/instruments/dru...e-snare-drums/

Cheers
Gavin
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM

Thank you Gavin, for all your answers!

"Don't try to run before you can walk - it will all come to you in good time.", I will remember it for the rest of my life. I quess I should work harder and worry less.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

Gavin,

"You do realise that 4/4 in triplets is the same as 12/8 right? In fact if you wanted to notate a rhythm in 4/4 that was full of triplets it's actually easier to write it in 12/8 so you don't have to keep writing in all those little "3s" over every triplet group. Maybe this isn't what you had in mind?"

I did not realise that (4/4 in triplets = 12/8), but now that you mention it, it does make perfect sense. And yes, your explanation was exactly what I had in mind. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 AM

Gavin,

Do you have any problem with people handing you demo discs of their own music? (at a gig)

Of course you can toss it, or maybe listen to it and get inspired.

Also, I know they aren't small packages....but will you be bringing any Protean snares to sell at the upcoming clinic in Richmond?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Last edited by gibeachhead; 01-30-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 AM

Gavin, I can't even describe how excited that I am about your signature snare. Awhile back I asked you about the snare that you used during the re tracking of up the downstair and deadwing, because I absolutely love the sound of your snare on those albums in particular. Ever since you told me that it was a vintage yamaha birch drum, I've been searching for a high quality birch snare that would give me a similar sound...

I had practically given up after not finding any snares that sounded great to me in my local music stores, and very few high end snares from many of the main accessible US drum companies are even birch. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a beech drum I liked until I wandered onto Sonor's website for the first time in a while 45 minutes ago. Now all I need to worry about is how difficult it will be to get the protean snare in New Jersey!

I do have a question though. Do you know if Sonor will make your 3 snare types available to buy separately for when a wire or two inevitably get bent when the snare strands or a head are being changed? I haven't come across 14 inch strands like those to buy anywhere. I've tried clipping snare wires off of 16 strand puresound snare strands to bring them down to 12 to see if I'd like it and I have a hell of a time trying to smooth down the edges at either end. I've ruined a few perfectly fine resonance heads in the process when I thought I had the strand smoothed out enough.

Last edited by deadwing_007; 01-27-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Dear Gavin
will The Man Who Sold Himself be available on iTunes someday?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Dear Gavin
it is:
https://itunes.apple.com/de/album/th...499732225?l=en
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

thanks David! Weird thing though, the album isnt' available in the Swiss store?!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM

Hey Gavin,

I like your signature snare drums. Really great stuff!
What is the difference between the 12 inch limited edition and your new signature 12 inch?
would the new 12 inch work as a main snare drum?

Thanks, m.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 PM

thanks gavin for your last answer you really help me and i feel more happy because my drummer idol answer to me. I feel really happy and i just have to question '' When you coming to brazil (with porcupine tree together as a preference)? thanks again. keep doing this exceptional work of drumming ....

gavin
is possible you post a little lesson video like ''practice a little exercise in drums and in the practice pad'' ??? thanks

Last edited by Bernhard; 07-19-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

Love that you aren't to stuffy to clown a bit in photos...glad the music business hasen't stiffled your definition of "play"...its gotta be tough not becoming to much of a product.

Good for you!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM

Hi Gavin,

first of all compliments for your drumming. It's amazing!!

I saw some pictures of your home studio. I think that originally your room was a normal room without any acoustic insulation. Which type of works did you made in order to reduce the noise around your house? Did you use platform below your drum set, special doors, insulation for all the room surfaces?

Moreover what is that panel I can see in some pictures in front of your drum set in your studio?

Thank you for your help. I hope to see you soon in Italy.

CIAO!!

Andrea
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 PM

Hi Gavin, quick question regarding your new 'Protean' snare drum(s); you've mentioned both in videos and responses on this forum that your favourite snare drum is a Yamaha RC.

Judging from the the specs and appearance of the 'Protean', you have taken quite a lot of inspiration from the RC; both constructed of birch, rounded bearing edges, similar proportions, even down to the finish and lug design.

My question is; have you put the two 'back to back' in a controlled comparison?

If so, what difference(s) did you notice?

Ta, Phil.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Hi Gavin,

I wanted to give you a huge thanks for coming to Chicago to do a clinic. So inspiring and so educational on many levels. Thankfully I translated my mental notes onto paper so I can remember the many concepts, and plain old good advice, that you offered everyone. I was fortunate to be in the 5pm master class you gave at Vic's Drum Shop - thanks for signing my books too. I can't think of any drummer in the world who wouldn't want to sit in a room with one of their favorite drummers and have a 90 minute lesson/discussion on how to improve one's drumming! I spoke to Vic after the master class and told him how great it was that world class drummers like yourself are accessible. Not just on drummerworld, but in person. And I thanked Vic for that, and was very appreciative that he continues to bring these events to Chicago. Thank you Vic! The clinic was great as well! Sitting in the front row I did notice how cold it got towards the end. Nothing like coming to Chicago when it's 60' and then leaving when it's 9' in a matter of 3-4 days!

Anyway, I do have a question that I didn't get a chance to ask the night of the clinic: Fills that are in odd groupings that travel over the bar line in 4/4 can get tricky for me. For instance like a group of 7 or group of 5 starting in different places that flow over the bar line. What is a good way to practice that and not panic while struggling to find the 1?

Thanks!!

p.s: safe travels and good luck with your other clinic!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi gibeachhead

Do you have any problem with people handing you demo discs of their own music? (at a gig)

I don't have a problem with folks handing me their disks - I just never have to time to listen to them.

Also, I know they aren't small packages....but will you be bringing any Protean snares to sell at the upcoming clinic in Richmond?

Vic's Drum Shop in Chicago and Just Drums in Richmond have the very first Protean snare drums available anywhere in the world. It will probably be a few weeks before other stores have them in stock.

Hi deadwing_007

Do you know if Sonor will make your 3 snare types available to buy separately for when a wire or two inevitably get bent when the snare strands or a head are being changed? I haven't come across 14 inch strands like those to buy anywhere. I've tried clipping snare wires off of 16 strand puresound snare strands to bring them down to 12 to see if I'd like it and I have a hell of a time trying to smooth down the edges at either end. I've ruined a few perfectly fine resonance heads in the process when I thought I had the strand smoothed out enough.

I believe they will be available as spare parts if you break or bend the original ones.

HI Swiss Matthias

I thought it was available on iTunes everywhere, I'm not in control of that as KScope is the record company.

Hi Marian Cimpian

I like your signature snare drums. Really great stuff! What is the difference between the 12 inch limited edition and your new signature 12 inch? would the new 12 inch work as a main snare drum?

As I've stated before - I had nothing to do with the design of the "Special Edition" it's just a reissue of a late 1990's Designer drum that I have played a lot before (and for one summer in 2010 Sonor put my signature on it). I prefer the Protean version of course. I sometimes use the 12" as a main snare when I'm doing drum clinics.

Hi humberto

I feel really happy and i just have to question '' When you coming to brazil (with porcupine tree together as a preference)?

I have no plans to come to Brazil at the moment.

is possible you post a little lesson video like ''practice a little exercise in drums and in the practice pad'' ?

there's quite a few here http://www.youtube.com/user/drumclip...os?query=gavin

Hi Andrea

I saw some pictures of your home studio. I think that originally your room was a normal room without any acoustic insulation. Which type of works did you made in order to reduce the noise around your house? Did you use platform below your drum set, special doors, insulation for all the room surfaces? Moreover what is that panel I can see in some pictures in front of your drum set in your studio?

I didn't go crazy with sound proofing - luckily the house is detached from any other building so I'm not annoying any neighbours. The panels in front of the drums are studio designed sound deflectors by a company that doesn't exist anymore. Mainly they just cut down the reflections rather than stop the sound going outside. My drums are on a wheeled riser so I can move them around the room rather than for a sound preference.

Hi Phil Brodermann

quick question regarding your new 'Protean' snare drum(s); you've mentioned both in videos and responses on this forum that your favourite snare drum is a Yamaha RC. Judging from the the specs and appearance of the 'Protean', you have taken quite a lot of inspiration from the RC; both constructed of birch, rounded bearing edges, similar proportions, even down to the finish and lug design.My question is; have you put the two 'back to back' in a controlled comparison?

The Protean is VERY similar in spec because I used the old RC as the inspiration for it. I would say that the Protean is better and here's why. It's more sensitive because of the sharp 45 degree bearing edge on the bottom and has a very accurate machine cut snare bed - but it retains the same sound character. The RC didn't actually have a snare bed. Plus the new snare system ("Dual Glide") on the Protean is the most modern advanced throw off I've ever used - MILES better than the RC and the added advantage of being able to change the snare wires in 5 seconds.

Hi JeffV71

Anyway, I do have a question that I didn't get a chance to ask the night of the clinic: Fills that are in odd groupings that travel over the bar line in 4/4 can get tricky for me. For instance like a group of 7 or group of 5 starting in different places that flow over the bar line. What is a good way to practice that and not panic while struggling to find the 1?

You just have to hear where it's going as a syncopation. You could practise singing or tapping out odd groupings while listening to regular 4/4 pop music and see how they fit.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 PM

Hi Gavin,

I heard someone say that the Sonor Prolite kits are the same as SQ2s (parts,drums etc) but the SQ2s are the custom designed versions. Is this true?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 AM

Gavin,

If you could do another "drum-off" (like you did with Simon Phillips) with any other drummer, who would you choose?

Also, were you ever a fan of Jethro Tull's drummer Barrimore Barlow? The song "Hunting Girl" sounds especially difficult the first few times you listen to it.

Thanks for your time

Eric
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Hi gavin

''Where is your drum lesson exercises (on drums)????''

And you have to post another ones like about your drum diary practice maybe...

Thanks
Humberto
Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Hi Gavin!

I was listening to Octane Twisted today while driving and thought of a couple questions.

First, I noticed quite a bit of your fills live do not follow the album tracks note for note. Is this improvised (i.e. different night to night) or did you just decide that the live fills felt better than what was recorded in the studio?

Second, maybe it's the mix, but your toms sound like they're tuned slightly higher live than in the studio. Can you comment on this?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Hello Gavin :)
I'm a huge fan from Indonesia. I know that perhaps gavin harrison or porcupine tree is not very popular here (shame), but i know that you've done drum clinic in malaysia.So is there any chance that you do drum clinic in indonesia too?or perhaps for the band to do a gig here?
Well, i'm no drummer myself but i won't miss a chance of seeing u play live! :)

thank you :)
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

Congrats to your new signature snare drums!

Have you ever tried a akg c214/c414 on snare bottom and md421 on the top?
If so, how do you like it?

Bestest
David