DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Default Good video quality camera for drum videos?

I've been looking around trying to find some good cameras for drumming. I haven't had much luck because I'm not getting much info. I want a semi-cheap camera because I want to buy 2 or 3 possibly. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
-MDR
Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Good video quality camera for drum videos?

What cameras have you looked at so far?
Are you intending to buy 3 small video recorders.
Record with them from different angles, and edit the video data from them later with video editing software?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing exactly!
I've heard miniDV's are good but there are so many of them. That's where I need help. But yeah, i'm looking for 2-3 smaller cameras but with really good video quality. Any ideas?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

The thing is that the price of the cameras increases with the vid and sound recording quality.
I suggest that you go to a shop and sample the cameras and evaluate them for yourself.

If you are going to record sound from a source other than the cameras, then chose a camera with the best picture quality that you can afford.

Perhaps buy one camera with a high zoom feature and two lesser cameras for fixed video recording.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Zoom makes a camera now with their recorder built into it. You might want to look into that if you aren't using mics.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Ok thanks guys. I'm going to be using mics and stuff so I just need the video quality the best I can get for a low price.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 PM

If you really just care about good video quality and nothing else I'd look into one of those Flip HD Cameras. I do a lot of work with video and yes I agree MiniDv is the best way to go but to get a decent quality Hi Def Mini Dv you're looking upwards of $400. I've looked at a lot of videos on youtube filmed with the Flip HD and the footage is actually pretty good, especially for its price. The only thing is it can get very shaky while filming but if you're looking just to film drum covers as long as you have a tripod it should be fine. Also don't buy more than one, just film it different times and line it all up in the editing process. If you need help feel free to hit me up.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrumR View Post
I've been looking around trying to find some good cameras for drumming. I haven't had much luck because I'm not getting much info. I want a semi-cheap camera because I want to buy 2 or 3 possibly. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
-MDR
the problem isn't the 'camera' it's the mics ON the camera. They all suck. Are you going to record the audio separately? If so, then you'll be okay with just about anything, but if you plan on using the mic on the camera, good luck. They usually just distort with drums. :(
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't want to use separate mics: Zoom just came out with an upgrade to their popular Q3 flash camcorder. I forget what it's called, but it's their great stereo recorder with a nice mic coupled with an HD camera. Sells for $300. I had the regular Q3 and even though it was standard video, the audio was great. I was able to record screaming jet sounds at an airshow with it too!

If you use separate mics into a separate audio recorder (which is what I do for my videos), then any HD flash camcorder will do. I use mainly the Kodak Zi8 which you can get online for under $150 nowadays. I record everything at the same time, but then I dump the video and t he audio into my movie editor (iMovie) and hand-sync the two files together. Much better results that way.

The Zi8 has a stereo mic input so I plan to experiment by adding that tiny Sony stereo mic to it to see how that sounds for normal ambient recording. The stock mic on the camera is only good for dialogue.

Unless you're planning on buying one of those $3K professional camcorders that accepts XLR mic inputs for your audio mix, the results are less than desirable when recording everything straight into the camera.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
If you don't want to use separate mics: Zoom just came out with an upgrade to their popular Q3 flash camcorder. I forget what it's called, but it's their great stereo recorder with a nice mic coupled with an HD camera. Sells for $300. I had the regular Q3 and even though it was standard video, the audio was great. I was able to record screaming jet sounds at an airshow with it too!

If you use separate mics into a separate audio recorder (which is what I do for my videos), then any HD flash camcorder will do. I use mainly the Kodak Zi8 which you can get online for under $150 nowadays. I record everything at the same time, but then I dump the video and t he audio into my movie editor (iMovie) and hand-sync the two files together. Much better results that way.

The Zi8 has a stereo mic input so I plan to experiment by adding that tiny Sony stereo mic to it to see how that sounds for normal ambient recording. The stock mic on the camera is only good for dialogue.

Unless you're planning on buying one of those $3K professional camcorders that accepts XLR mic inputs for your audio mix, the results are less than desirable when recording everything straight into the camera.
yes thats all true. I hope it works out for you!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

True Dat. My media editor / publicist suggests this camera. Also has an available remote for $13

Last edited by BigDinSD; 12-16-2010 at 09:37 PM.