DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Default Roland TD 3 setup questions

I recently purchased a Roland TD3 to learn playingh the drums and have come across a couple of areas I would like some advice on.
First, I cant get the pedal operated hi hat loud enough. I adjust the instrument volume to maximum but its still significantly quieter than the other drums. is this a feature of the TD3 or a problem with my kit, and does anyone know of any fixes.
Secondly the toms are very what I would describe as "boomy" (too much reverb I think), Is there any solution to this anyone is aware of.
Any thoughts / recommendations would be appreciated

thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Roland TD 3 setup questions

I have a TD-3, and the pedal hi-hat isn't particularly loud; this mimics a real drumset. If it really bothers you, you can turn down all the other instruments and turn up the overall volume.

As far as the boominess/reverb, I believe you can hit 'edit' a few times until the light is above the word 'ambience' (lower left if I remember correctly). Then you can use the arrows to change the 'room' you're in.

You might find the manual helpful: http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...m?PRODUCT=TD-3.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Hi hat triggers are notoriously buggy and troublesome on e-kits. I had similar triggering issues whether I ran the onboard sounds or used VST's. I considered using an acoustic hihat, but eventually just settled on the fact that for practice, I just wouldn't be hearing my hihat as well.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 PM

Jaydee,

Check out the mod for the FD-8 hi-hat pedal in this linked thread. http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23538

I did something similar to my pedal and got more volume but the best thing I did was ditch the CY-5/FD-8 and get a VH-11 and a hi-hat stand. Much better.

Scott
Old 12-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
Jaydee,

Check out the mod for the FD-8 hi-hat pedal in this linked thread. http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23538

I did something similar to my pedal and got more volume but the best thing I did was ditch the CY-5/FD-8 and get a VH-11 and a hi-hat stand. Much better.

Scott
Many thanks for the post. I have only been playing drums for a month so wasnt sure if it was just me. Now I know it is a real problem I will take the footpedal apart with your notes in the link (I think I understand but I need to have a go myself). My lessons havent got to left foot yet so I will stick with the mods you made rather than buying a bew pedal at the moment.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 AM

FYI, I basically did that mod in Scott's post to my Roland hi-hat pedal and its better. I have a TD-3 as well.

I used a felt glue foot meant for the bottom of a chair/table.

However, i would also recommend ditching it and getting a real high hat pedal + vh-11 as Scott suggests.

Eventually, you will want to do more with your hat and IMO this piece of equipment is totally garbage.