DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Bass Drum Mic

Hi guys,

I recently bought the Shure Sm7B mic for my bassdrum (I heard it picks up the low end really well, and I know a few guys who use it). I have a 20 inch mahogany bassdrum, and I can't get any other sound other than a crappy jazz bassdrum.. What am I doing wrong? Did I buy the wrong mic?

Help?!
Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Bass Drum Mic

Where abouts do you place the mic (picture?) and have you ported the head? What heads are you using? Where does the signal go to (mixing desk, recording device etc?) What EQ do you have on the signal? How are you listening to this mix?

These factors, among others (such as room etc) will help answer your question.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
audiotech

Default Re: Bass Drum Mic

Yea, the biggest factors are, exactly how are you miking your bass drum and how do you have your bass drum tuned. The Shure SM7 mikes are very good microphones with a wide, semi flat response that can be adjusted with the controls behind the mike's body. Make sure you don't have the low frequency response attenuated. Positioning of the microphone is the major factor when you're trying to extract the sound you want from your drum. It's a bit too late now, but if I were you and I was getting a microphone priced in the area of a SM7, I would have gone for an Electrovoice RE20 There shouldn't be any reason you can't get the sound you're looking for. It might just take a little experimentation.

Please post pictures if you can.

Dennis