NEW! Mapex Raptor Direct Drive - Sneak Peek

It looks to me like the Raptor is simply the direct drive version of the Falcon. It probably isn't that simple, but apart from the lack of a chain I can' t see any other differences.

Awsome! I was going to buy Falcons later but now, Raptors will be my second choice. I just need to test that direct drive pedal first, just in case! ;)

I find it surprising that Mapex would release another new pedal so soon after the Falcon. I wonder if Tama is going to come out with a response to this as well....

Still happy with my Demon Drives :)

-Jonathan

I find it surprising that Mapex would release another new pedal so soon after the Falcon. I wonder if Tama is going to come out with a response to this as well....

Still happy with my Demon Drives :)

-Jonathan

I do play double Iron Cobras but one thing suprises me - In Iron Cobra double pedals both beaters aren't competly centered. Thats a hi-end pedal and Tama havent focused on that thing.. Compared to Falcons both beaters are exactly the same distance away from the middle of the bassdrum head. And that's why I am going to buy either Falcons or Raptors.

Btw I tried DD's and they are just too light for me :)

I do play double Iron Cobras but one thing suprises me - In Iron Cobra double pedals both beaters aren't competly centered. Thats a hi-end pedal and Tama havent focused on that thing.. Compared to Falcons both beaters are exactly the same distance away from the middle of the bassdrum head. And that's why I am going to buy either Falcons or Raptors.

Btw I tried DD's and they are just too light for me :)

Hmm... I don't own any IC's but that does surprise me. I wonder whether the new speed Cobra has remedied that or not.

The DW 9000's are really smooth and aren't nearly as light as the DD. Best of luck finding the right pedals!!

-Jonathan

This actually looks like a pedal I might be interested in.

I played around on the Falcon a while back and it seemed pretty smooth. I currently play an IC PowerGlide and feel I have it pretty well dialed in and just don't want to part with it.

However...what is the real benefit of a direct drive? Is it more benificial to heel-up or heel-down players? Or does it depend on the person? I ask because I also got to test drive a Speed King and found it easier to control heel down.

Hmm... I don't own any IC's but that does surprise me. I wonder whether the new speed Cobra has remedied that or not.

The DW 9000's are really smooth and aren't nearly as light as the DD. Best of luck finding the right pedals!!

-Jonathan

Speed cobras are having that same "feature". DW 9000's would be nice pedals but they are way too expensive, like more than 600 euros in Finland. I really admire Mapex because they are nicely priced and they seem to be very durable! Same thing with drums.

This actually looks like a pedal I might be interested in.

I played around on the Falcon a while back and it seemed pretty smooth. I currently play an IC PowerGlide and feel I have it pretty well dialed in and just don't want to part with it.

However...what is the real benefit of a direct drive? Is it more benificial to heel-up or heel-down players? Or does it depend on the person? I ask because I also got to test drive a Speed King and found it easier to control heel down.

I think the benefit is that you will not get any loss with speed and motion because theres a direct link between pedal and the beater. I also have Iron Cobras with PowerGlide cam and I have noticed that when you play double bass fast enough those pedals just can't stay up with you because of the chain.

This might go offtopic but have you had any problems with IC's? Mine IC's beaters are moving a little bit in sideways because of the bearings. They have loosened up and there's no way you can tight them up.

I think the benefit is that you will not get any loss with speed and motion because theres a direct link between pedal and the beater. I also have Iron Cobras with PowerGlide cam and I have noticed that when you play double bass fast enough those pedals just can't stay up with you because of the chain.

This might go offtopic but have you had any problems with IC's? Mine IC's beaters are moving a little bit in sideways because of the bearings. They have loosened up and there's no way you can tight them up.

Nope. No issues with the IC beater. Actually, I swapped out the stock beater years ago with a regular hard felt Gibraltar beater. I liked the weight better.

I do play double Iron Cobras but one thing suprises me - In Iron Cobra double pedals both beaters aren't competly centered.

I have an IC and I can adjust the positioning of my beaters so they are or are not centered. How old is yours?

anybody seen a price on these yet? the original article on center stage says 'on sale now at all mapex dealers' but i can't find anybody who has them....

I have an IC and I can adjust the positioning of my beaters so they are or are not centered. How old is yours?

It's then newest model. I saw a video from YouTube about those older IC's and I noticed that you can adjust the positioning of the beaters much better than in the newer IC's.

It's then newest model. I saw a video from YouTube about those older IC's and I noticed that you can adjust the positioning of the beaters much better than in the newer IC's.

Hard to believe that they would make a change like that...

Maybe it's to try and help the Speed Cobra sales ;)

-Jonathan

I can see a huge difference between the Falcons and Raptors.
Yeah. the colors and design shapes are similar but I can see that the whole thing is re designed.
It looks pretty nice but just from pure looks (because I've never played the Raptor) I like the Falcon better. Just looks meaner to me. Love the dual nickle chains.

Funny you guys are talking about the ICs also.
I was gonna save up for a Falcon but I found a used IC in KILLER condition for only $220 so I snatched it up.
I'm gonna pass on the Falcon indefinately.
I love my ICs and I like the savings.
Oh, and I have no problems with my IC.
It seems totally bulletproof.

I can see a huge difference between the Falcons and Raptors.
Yeah. the colors and design shapes are similar but I can see that the whole thing is re designed.
It looks pretty nice but just from pure looks (because I've never played the Raptor) I like the Falcon better. Just looks meaner to me. Love the dual nickle chains.

Funny you guys are talking about the ICs also.
I was gonna save up for a Falcon but I found a used IC in KILLER condition for only $220 so I snatched it up.
I'm gonna pass on the Falcon indefinately.
I love my ICs and I like the savings.
Oh, and I have no problems with my IC.
It seems totally bulletproof.

They are bulletproof pedals and they're nice. I have tried Falcons and I like them more than IC's because the footboards of Falcons are longer than IC's (My feet are like canoes - EU size 46!) so they suit me better. And they feel better for some reason.

In Iron Cobras there is actually one achilles heel - the bearings. They tend to loose up :(

I'm about to sell my Iron Cobras later.. after Mapex releases their Raptor series :) But of course I will test those first in a music shop and compare them to Falcons!

Back