DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 AM

Default How much do Axis pedals increase speed?

Hey everyone, i'm ready to buy a new set of pedals soon and my eyes are set on Axis pedals for various reasons. My question is how much do these pedals increase your speed? I've read a few posts on other websites and some people say that it can increase the speed of a player at 180-190bpm to 230-240bpm almost immediately after adjustments are made on the pedal to suit that player. Is this true? (And i don't mean practicing a new speed for weeks, i just mean hopping on the pedals and playing faster almost instantly)
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How much do Axis pedals increase speed?

Well, speed is one thing. Actually making music is something else ;)

Actually, because the pedal felt lighter than the DW pedal I was using before, it felt like everything was happening faster and easier to do. But I'm not sure if it increased my speed.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgrind View Post
Hey everyone, i'm ready to buy a new set of pedals soon and my eyes are set on Axis pedals for various reasons. My question is how much do these pedals increase your speed? I've read a few posts on other websites and some people say that it can increase the speed of a player at 180-190bpm to 230-240bpm almost immediately after adjustments are made on the pedal to suit that player. Is this true? (And i don't mean practicing a new speed for weeks, i just mean hopping on the pedals and playing faster almost instantly)
Thanks!
Increasing from 180 to 240 instantly is not gonna happen, sorry! If only it were that easy... If you can't play 240, you can't play 240. Using better pedals will just mean that the motion is easier and smoother. In other words, I can sit down with any pedals and play 240 (well, sorta) but it will be a lot easier on better, lighter pedals like axis.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My question is how much do these pedals increase your speed?
By all accounts, Axis pedals are very light and extremely responsive and they seem to come highly recommended by those that use them......but for mine, you are asking the wrong question. Pedals can only go as fast as your feet can drive them....so if you really wanna know how fast they can go, then first figure out how fast you can control your feet.....here lies your answer.

I've said it a million times before and I'll say it again....."it's the Indian, not the arrow".

To suggest otherwise is just simply not accurate. As Luke, suggested.....if you can't do it now, then you can't do it by simply purchasing an Axis pedal.

Great pedals according to all reviews from guys here whose opinions I respect and I know they are well worth your consideration....but if you think you're just gonna miraculously start blasting 250bpm+, simply because you've bought some Axis.....you're sadly mistaken.

Great pedals....but only as great as the guy playing them, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 12-02-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Crazy8s

Axis pedals do not do anything to increase your speed. Instead, they remove some of the hindrances that can negatively impact your ability to play a kick drum.

The primary hindrance is sheer mass. Because of this little understood phenomena known as inertia, the ultimate capabilities of any pedal are limited to how much mass actually moves during the entire stroke of the pedal. Less moving mass = quicker cycling. More mass = slower cycling.

Axis has the lightest moving mass of any pedal I've encountered, and I've encountered most of them. Even without the additional mass that other competing pedals have, I have still found the Axis pedals more durable. In fact, I have broken a DW5000 footboard and about 5 of the red anodized hinges that DW uses, all of which are physically heavier than the Axis equivalent parts.

To add more value, almost all the nuts and bolts on the Axis are found in most competent hardware stores and almost everything on the Axis pedals are user replaceable or nearly indestructable. This means that while you will pay a bit more for them, you will also be getting pedals that will last a lifetime even under the feet of the most busy players.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Crazy8s

Quote:
I've read a few posts on other websites and some people say that it can increase the speed of a player at 180-190bpm to 230-240bpm almost immediately after adjustments are made on the pedal to suit that player. Is this true?
Yes, this can certainly be the case, but only if those players had put the time in to develop the proper muscles and mental acuity to play at those speeds. This is not the case if the player can only play sloppily at 180-190.

There is no device or fancy medicine or sneaky advice that will get you playing 16th note kicks at 230-240 bpm except for lots of good old fashioned knee-grease. You've got to put the time in, and iron out all the bugs, before you will be kickin' it that fast, and this can (and should) take years. What you CAN do, however, is study those who do play that fast and take heed to what they tell you.

Tim Waterson, who hangs out here alot, has a lot of good youtube videos where he shares some of his methods that have gained him the honor of World's Fastest Drummer for his feet.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Thanks for all of the information everyone! I figured that immediately gaining speed probably wouldn't be true but i just wanted to clarify that in case it was true. But i'm sure practicing on these pedals would make gaining a higher speed easier compared to practicing on a heavier chain-drive pedal, right?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the information everyone! I figured that immediately gaining speed probably wouldn't be true but i just wanted to clarify that in case it was true. But i'm sure practicing on these pedals would make gaining a higher speed easier compared to practicing on a heavier chain-drive pedal, right?
Yes, you may learn at a quicker pace, because the actually hardware itself will give you less problems and stay out of your way more.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Personally, as the Axis Longboards being the 2nd double bass pedal i owned right after a $99 dollar PDP, it was a huge improvement right off the bat yes, especially After i set up the pedal as i wanted! Fast songs were easier to control then before but i did not get a 40-60bpm increase by any means. I was still playing about the same speed but...
From Endurance to Control to Comfort to even Beater Sound, Improvement was noticed in my eyes!
Definately was easier to get 40BPM's faster after some practice tho :-)
If you can afford it get them !
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Next: Mapex Saturn Arctic White Fusion 6-Piece
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 AM

I found Axis longboards to be more comfortable, allow more subtle control and smoother than any of the other pedals I've had, but they have not made me faster - practicing for speed whilst using the Axis has made me faster though, so I probably would have got much the same result with any other good quality pedal.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:02 AM

Interesting, well regardless i'm sure these pedals will be a great investment! Thanks once again for all of the info!